Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Digitech iStomp seems expensive now that I understand it........

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by studio1087, Mar 16, 2012.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I'm sure that you have seen this. $149 for the pedal that connects to your iPhone or iPad app and the pedal can become any one pedal.

$149.....

[​IMG]

You can load any one pedal at a time.....

[​IMG]

Every pedal costs $5.00 to $10.00 additional

You buy each pedal like buying an app.

I didn't know when they introduced this thing that you pay and pay and pay. I thought you got the iStomp and all the pedal apps included.

$149 only covers the pedal shell.......everything else is extra.

I don't know. Seems steep now that I understand. A Line 6 M9 is $349 cash new and you get hundreds of classic pedals and you can use three pedals at one time.

I would spend $225 in a heartbeat if I bought the iStomp.

iStomp. Pricey or worth it????

2. bigp7099

bigp7099 Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2010
    Brampton, ON
    i think you have nailed it - i'm sure digitech hopes this thing takes off, sounds like a cash cow to me if it does

3. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Well I can not see my self using my I-Phone at a gig. I need it for more important things, like making and receving phone calls. And I wouldn't really want to lug an I-Pad to a gig either. That's just me.

Why not take the cash and get a Line 6 M5 and have everything you need in one pedal?

The iStomp is basically a toy in the true sense of the word. And an expensive one at that.

Actually I bought the Apogee JAM to try it with the I-Phone then I ended up asking myself, why? It seemed to me a waste of money so I took it back.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2009
    Russia, St.-Petersburg
    With line6 M-5 I am also can have any pedal plus tap tempo, preset and tuner. And I do not need to buy iPhone :lol:

6. vjf1968

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    And with an expression pedal you doubled the usefulness.:D

7. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    OK....so I'm not nuts.

I saw all the ads when the thing came out and I thought you got the pedal box and all the pedal apps for $149.

I would pay $69 for the box if pedal apps were $5 each. That sound reasonable.

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Just what I was thinking. I suppose each box is a computer or sorts... and versatile... but $149 each? That adds up pretty fast.

9. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    If I have an iPhone anywhere near an amp, I get that crazy annoying digital interference noise if I'm about to receive a call or email.

I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money without having a crystal ball that would tell me how long it is going to be supported. Hypothetical situation of course, but say the iphone or the pedal company (I forget who we're talking about) is not around forever- then you've got a $150 shell of a pedal. It would be a cool paperweight I guess.

Typed on my iPhone.

10. Dr. Pants

Dr. Pants Banned

Jun 27, 2011
    HERE
    Oh it will be great!

Until the technology becomes obsolete.

11. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2006
    LaGrange, GA
  12. Magnawolf

Magnawolf Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2009
    California
    I don't think that many pedal-savvy people are really going to buy this. I think this will gain a following among those who use built-in amp effects or multi-effects units.

13. TechJunky

TechJunky TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Northeast PA
    I've had a few amps with built-in effects and I currently use an M13. For my needs, multi-fx units are great, but I would still never buy an istomp pedal. As mentioned previously, the M9 makes more sense if you just need one pedal but want several optional changes. Unless space is a major constraint, which would be extreme, this just seems unnecessary. If you only want it for one or two pedals, it would be likely just as expensive to buy the actual pedals you want anyway.

14. vjf1968

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    What does "pedal savy" mean?

15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    In defense of the concept, and I don't own it or haven't used it, is it does come with 2 pedals, a Delay and an Overdrive and the first pedal you buy is 0.99$.

So you get three pedals for $151. Also you can try a pedal out for 5 minutes before buying it.

16. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2009
    California
    30 seconds to change pedal models? a bill and a half for the pedal, then a 10 spot for each model? and then you get one a single effect at a time?

Man, go on fleabay and get a POD or an old Yamaha Magicstomp. All the models are included, and you can so a few at once.

17. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    It should read "pedal nerd" - ain't we all?

18. vjf1968

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I guess in different degrees. There are those who stick with tried and true and those that embrace technology and find a way to successfully integrate them into their current set up.

But I really do not see the I-Stomp being successful as far as gigging players are concerned. Sure, there maybe a handful of adventurous folks who will try it and maybe might have some success. But it looks like a toy and the constant "nickel and diming" for the apps might keep this at home.

19. Cameage

Cameage Tele-Holic

May 24, 2011
    Baltimore
    I read about this and thought it was really cool, but $149 for the hardware is just stupid.

20. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    I've seen more than a few posts of different boards of people saying "I've got room for one more pedal on the board".

I think its a pretty interesting piece of niche gear. Would be nicer if it was $100.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.