Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Different string gauges for different guitars?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Toadtele, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Idaho just the tip
    Curious. Do most guitarist have the same gauge strings on all their guitars or is it common to use different gauges? I’ve pretty much always had the same size on all my guitars. Lately running heavier on one of my teles because of a neck issue. At first it threw me off but now I really dig it and can switch easily from one guitar to another. No need to switch back I guess

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    I use the same on all of mine, but then my guitars are identical in every respect relevant to playing-feel; same scale length, neck shape, fretboard radius, tuning...

If I had any guitars of a different scale length, or that I used for a different tuning, I might use a different string gauge to "compensate".

Toadtele likes this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I use Daddario NYXL 10-46 on my Strat and Telecaster, 11-49 on my SG and Gretsch Annie, and Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze 11-52 on my acoustic. I use what works... for me. The choices were made for sound and playability. I have excellent setup on all of my guitars so I'm not using string gauge to make up for a setup deficiency.

Toadtele likes this.
  4. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    I use 10's for the guitars I use when we're doing tributes (a custom-made 5-pickup offset and a paisley Tele clone); when it's just the band I use 9's and both guitars I use with the band are similar to the one in my avatar.

Toadtele likes this.
  5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Keef gauges on my 5 string open G Tele.

9's and 10's on everything else. 10's on short(er) scale guitars, 9's on 25.5" scale.
    Ernie Ball Slinky and Super Slinky.

Tried tons of different brands of strings.
    Keep coming back to EB's.
    They just work for me.

Toadtele likes this.
  6. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    On a whim, I strung my Tele with the 'small' strings from a 12-string set...wasn't good for melody, but worked fine for rhythm chording.

Toadtele likes this.
  7. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Bend, OR
    I use heavier strings on my Eb guitars and on my shorter scale guitars, I like to feel roughly the same tension on all my guitars.

Tim T, BigDaddyLH and Toadtele like this.
  8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    9's on Fenders, 9.5's on Gibsons and other 24.75 scale lengths

Toadtele likes this.
  9. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    I've got a shredder with 09s, three guitars with 10s (one of which is a drop tuning), a Tele with 10.5s, and a 7-string with 11s. All have various tensions, scale lengths, fretboard radii, neck thickness and profiles...

Each guitar does some things better than the other guitars. But I can totally see the benefit of getting the muscle memory attuned to one specific gauge and instrument and being able to do more because of it.

Toadtele likes this.
  10. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    10s on Fenders, 11s on Gibbys, 12s on archtops and acoustics

howardlo and Toadtele like this.
  11. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    I use different gauges depending on scale length mostly. 10-46 on 25.5, 12-52 on 24.75 or 24.

Toadtele likes this.
  12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    D'Addario 10s on Teles, either the hybrid 10.5s or 11s on strats, 11's on Gibsons and 12s on the acoustics.

Toadtele likes this.
  13. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve got quite a mixture...
    • 9-42 on my Shergold & Strat (25.5” scale) and on my PRS SE245 (24.5” scale), which feels very loose on the latter
    • 9-46 on my Tele (because I do some Drop D stuff and the heavier bottom string holds up much better even one tone down)
    • 10-46 on my Jazzmaster (what Fender fitted it with and they feel so good I’m planning to change everything else over to this gauge)
    • 11-52 on my 6-string acoustic — anything lighter just doesn’t work
    • 10-46 on my 12-string acoustic (10,10,12,12,17,8,26,12,36,18,46,26 to be precise - D'Addario Regular Light for 12-strings)
    Soon that will be 10-46 for electrics, 10-46 for 12-string, 11-52 for acoustic 6-string.

14. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    My fingers can't work like in former years so for me now ....
    Strat & Tele = 9s
    SG = 10s (but considering reverting to hybrid 9-46)
    G&L Bluesboy (mainly slide in G) = 11s
    LP Studio (only slide in D) = 12s
    Yamaha acoustic = 12s (but am experimenting with 11s and am pretty sure theyll soon be a permanent option).

As for make ... Rotosound preferably ...

But ... Until 3 or 4 years ago I was 10s on any electric and 12s on slide and acoustic.
    For purely slide work I still prefer 12s but if I've got to combine finger and slide playing ... These days I really don't like using 12s, even on the LP Studio.
    Needless to say I have tried 10s and even 9s on slide but I, for one, haven't got the touch for those ... :lol:

Toadtele likes this.
  15. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I can't speak for most guitarists, but I use different brands/styles/gauges for different guitars/styles/uses.

Toadtele likes this.
  16. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    D'Addario Pure Nickel 10s on everything. It keeps things simple.

Although I do have flatwounds on the semi-hollow

Tim T and Toadtele like this.
  17. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    10's on 25.5 scale
    10's or 11's on 24.75 scale
    11's on 24" scale (jag)

Toadtele likes this.
  18. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    9.5 on all my Teles. 10's on one Strat, 11's on the other Strat that is tuned down 1/2 step.

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I use 10s more and more now on everything. The only exception is full hollow bodies and the Mustang, which get 11s. Jazzmasters used to get 11s too, but that’s totally unnecessary, even with a stock bridge.

20. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    I've been doing the gauge thing always. Default is 9s on fender scale length and 10s on Gibsons, but would have like a tele with 9s and a tele with 10s lying around. Never had 3 teles, but I I had the 3rd would get flats and so on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.