Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Difference between the new Blues Junior IV and the previous incarnation??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Jul 26, 2018.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Yeah. I guess the one I looked up was used like new on the Sweetwater. Damn. $600 for a BJR.

2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Sank 499 into the new Pro Junior IV. Traded some stuff but yeah. Amp rocks though.....

3. TommyJK

TommyJK TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Toronto ON, Canada
    BJ111 was birch/maple plywood, so they made the switch to MDF on the IV

Anybody else find the $70 price increase on the IV to be a bit excessive?

4. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    victor,ny
    $800? For that pos?

5. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Jared,

Please tell me you still have your Swart.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Jared Purdy likes this.

6. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 26, 2016
    Texas
    I got the chance to A/B a Pro jr. Tweed Ltd III and a Pro jr. IV last week.
    Side by side. They both sounded good but I liked the tweed the best..

I’m no expert on the fender tweed sound, so take that for what it’s worth.
    The tweed sounded like it was ready to rock, balanced lows, mids,and highs. Plenty good reverb.
    I don’t know if they up graded the speaker or reverb in the Ltd. keep in mind that this Ltd. tweed has been played, maybe even lightly giged, it had rub marks on the tweed like it was packed next to other gear.
    I’m thinking it was broke in real good.

The IV seemed to be holding back....I had to push it hard to get some good tones. When I got there it wasn’t to bad. Reverb could use a little juice.
    It had a good balanced sound..maybe when it grows up it would come on out with it.

I think it’s like anything else. You really have to try it out to know for sure.

I went there ready to buy the IV. The Ltd. tweed just walked all over it. It went home with me.

7. LuthRavin

LuthRavin TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

May 28, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Just a bit mixed up...I didn't realize the Pro Jr. IV had reverb..going to have to check the Pro Jr. out..unless you meant Blues Jr. IV..

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I'm just gonna say: Bassbreaker 15.

10. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 26, 2016
    Texas
    Your totally right. My bad, I meant to say, Blues Jr IV and Blues Jr III.
    Thanks for pointing that out..o_O

I’m going to plead the “senior moment “ thing. :rolleyes:

LuthRavin likes this.

11. LuthRavin

LuthRavin TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

May 28, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    No problem Hammerdog..I to have those moments..

Hammerdog likes this.

12. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    I’d love to get a copy of the IV’s schematic. So far no luck in getting my hands on one.
    I’ve long ago tweaked the tone stack values on our amps. Improved the reverb by removing the bright cap on the reverb pot.
    I converted a cream board to 6V6’s and like the sound much better than EL84’s.

13. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.
    Hi Tommy, I just happened to walk into the 12th fret and they had the BJ3 in tweed for $600. Long & McQuade was charging $800 for the BJ4. I was told by one of the staff at the 12th that they are taking a bit of a bath on amps as they simply are not moving, so they are charging less for them. They have a PRRI for $1100. (new). There's quite a few other nice amps in there: Carr, usual Fender amps, etc.

14. Jared Purdy

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.

15. Jared Purdy

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.
    I don't believe the one I bought (a BJ 3 in tweed) is a special run. There is a chrome metal plate on the back upper left corner but it just has the serial number, name of the amp, country of manufacturer and few other sundry details. It's got a 12" ceramic, Jensen "Special Design" speaker, standard stuff.

16. Jared Purdy

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.
    Not used, new.

17. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    Just tried the Blues jr version IV Humbolt Hot Rod today. I got to say, it's the best sounding Blues Jr I've ever heard, including my friends with full on Bill M mods. I was shocked ay how good it sounded, how loud it was, and new price, $650. (Too much).

18. Jared Purdy

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.
    I tried it too, unfortunately I was trying it at a time when someone else in the store thought their time was more important than mine, so I wasn't able to put it through the paces. Sounded "good", but I had no prior experience with the BJ, of any incarnation. I bought the BJ3 (tweed) last week, and am very happy with it.

I'm coming from a Swart AST MkII with the Celestial Gold and I'd say that the BJ3 holds it's own. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about it being too bright. That's what the tone controls are for. I would agree that the master pot could be more sensitive as the volume jumps too quick. However, that's what the volume control on the guitar is for. I'm not gigging with mine. It sits there, on the rug in the living room, and gets turned on a few times a week.

It's a mass produced, made in Mexico $600 amp with PCB, six tubes, a standard run of the mill speaker and a PB cab. It's not a hand made, pine cabinet, hand wired amp with top shelf components. In spite of that, as I said, I think it holds it's own.

19. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    I have a version II or III (?) that I got in a trade. Once I figured out the right power tubes and the bias, I get good tones for what it is, and I really like the stock Fender speaker. The trebliness appears to be due to the specific components of that circuit, and if I were a tech, I'd experiment with different values of capacitors, etc. I can't forgive Fender for the control pots soldered directly to the circuit board. I'd pay $50 more if they wired the pots to the board like MusicMan.

20. Jared Purdy

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.
    I will likely do nothing to this amp. I have fiddled endlessly with other Fender amps (PRRI) and tubes in a Swart AST Master MkII. The law of diminishing returns kicks in at some point. The BJ 3 is what it is. If you were to plug this into a PA system and play before a crowd, zero people would notice anything wrong with it, including all of the afficiados out there. They'd only notice your mistakes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.