Did something really dumb... how can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by John Nicholas, Feb 14, 2019.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

John Nicholas likes this.
  2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

OK, leme expand on the steam treatment... so guys don't go screwing up and making a minor foible a major disaster...

to work perfectly, the ding cannot be deep, and the wood's fibers cannot be "broken" .. it also cannot be finished.... if it IS finished... then the steam can be "blown" up and under the surrounding finish causing the underlying wood to expand... that will force the finihs up, possibly cracking it... creating a finishing nightmare, IF you want the resulting repair to be invisable...

If the fibers are broken then no amount of steaming will "re grow" 'em back together so the point of contact will forever be seen if the final finish is transparent... or unless you are VERY GOOD and know how to tale a 000 artist's brush and camouflage the scar to a point it's no longer noticeable... that is very high level art... there will be no numbers there to help ya :p

all in all, the steam technique should NOT be used on a piece of wood that has already been finished unless you are willing to take it all the way.. meaning it can result in a scar that can only be excised by a stripping, and refinishing the whole thing.

to see how the steam process SHOULD be used.. check this thread, around post 88, this is when and where I first introduced it.... check out some of the comments that followed by those unfamiliar with such.. :lol:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/104487-ok-so-i-promised-here-ya.html

The process was shown me by an "old world" carpenter back in the early 60's .. My afternoon job was working for Jacksonville's premiere Photographer, William Dishinger (thanks for all Bill) .. one of his clients was Dixon/Powdermaker purveyor f very esoteric, and expensive custom furniture....

One afternoon we were "shooting" product shots for an upcoming catalogue, and I noticed this "old guy" "ironing" a piece of furniture... I asked him... what are ya dooin'?" and he took the time to explain what is happening to the wood when you sand it...and how the steam reverses it, making it easier to get a premium finish..

'bout that time,. Mr Dishinger asked me to give him a hand loading the old 8x10 view camera back into the station wagon..

Point being, ya NEVER wanna let water and/or steam under the finish .. never..

rk

3. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Could you not just Photoshop it out? That would be easy.

4. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Marty, while that is an excellent idea, I really want to save that particular blank because of the quality of the wood.

I do appreciate the suggestions!

5. John Nicholas

Ron,

Because of the thread you linked, I did "iron" a Sugar Pine Tele body that had compression marks in the surface. It worked great.

But now that you explained the issues with the steam method on a finished body, I'm not going to even attempt to steam it.

You are correct, the wood fibers are cut and it's pretty deep. If the repair is not "invisible" I would never be happy with the guitar.

I will attempt to "inlay" some walnut in order to "hide" the dings.

Thank you for all your help and information.

6. John Nicholas

Mat, that is a great idea!!:D

Mat UK likes this.
  7. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Or you could sand a curved bevel around the perimeter and eliminate the dings completely. Of course you'd have to do the same to the opposite side as well to make it look like a design feature.

Where on the body are the dings??? ...........bit hard to tell on the pix.

DC

8. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Do you have any plug cutters? I do but they're not that small. And me having them really doesn't help you much.

But if you did, and you had one small enough, since you have the cut off, you would be able to get an almost invisible repair.

9. John Nicholas

Okay, so I couldn't wait to sand the finish off to see what there was to work with.

After Ron's very in depth explanation of steaming, the finish had to be removed before taking any other action.

So here are the photos after just removing the finish...

IMG_4329.JPG

IMG_4330.JPG

The wonderful part was that the second ding was already gone!!

The remaining ding looked exactly as Ron had described, the grains were cut...

After sanding off the finish, the ding was not very deep at all, so I continued to sand for a little bit. It didn't take very long and now the ding is virtually impossible to see..

I circled the area of the ding so others could see it...

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

Believe it or not the ding is less noticeable in person than it is in the photos...

After some grain filler and clear finish, the ding should be gone!!

10. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Never mind then...........

:)

11. John Nicholas

Hey Dave,

It's on the upper bout, where the pickup with is located. You can see the area in post #35

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

That last little bit might steam up fine.

Flakey likes this.
  13. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Duhhhhhh! I must have missed installment 2 of this thread completely o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O!!!

Problem solved! Carry on Number One!

DC

14. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

If you cannot blend it in, do something very visible.
    - an extra "arm bevel"
    - inlay something that is highly contrasting

Treadplatedual likes this.
  15. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How much did that pickup weigh; 5 lbs? :)

16. John Nicholas

It sanded out pretty easily....

17. John Nicholas

Not sure... it was an EMG passive pickup and it fell just right...:(

18. John Nicholas

In a way it's really good that this dumb thing happened... I first used Tru-Oil, then sprayed clear lacquer over the top. It was sanded and polished, but the finish sunk into the grain, leaving lines in the finish.

I'm one of those guys who try new things and experiments with new technologies, so if that bothers you, skip the next couple of posts!! :lol::lol:

I bought some Solarez grain filler last year and did a half hearted test with it. This time it was serious!! Over the past few months I've watched a bunch of tests using Solarez. Everyone has their own way of applying the product. My last test was using a brush, it didn't lay down flat enough and need quite a bit of sanding to smooth out the brush marks.

The really good part is that this product dries in sunlight in a few moments! So it can be sanded as soon as it's been exposed to sunlight. Its winter in my part of the world and is currently 38 degrees Fahrenheit, so I left it in the sun for longer than the directions said.

Chris Monck from Highline Guitars on Youtube is one of the guys who is deep into experimenting with Solarez. One of his videos suggested using makeup applicators to apply the product.

I realize that it's better to post this information in the Finely Finished section. So I'll just show the before and after photos here...

IMG_4344.JPG

Hopefully you can see the difference between the part that was filled (3 coats) versus the original wood gain in the photo below. The time from the first application to finished product was less than 15 minutes. That includes applying the product, drying it in the sun and sanding it!

IMG_4354.JPG

19. John Nicholas

Just finished sanding the body down to bare wood. In the close up you can see that the ding is still there... the body has been brought into the house and the plan is to steam the ding in order to raise the grain just a tiny amount.

The hope is that it will make the ding virtually disappear.

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

Mat UK likes this.
  20. John Nicholas

Okay... did the steaming thing... it went really fast! It's now an outie!! :lol::lol:

IMG_4360.JPG

IMG_4361.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

Going to wait a while before leveling it...

dswo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.