Did something really dumb... how can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by John Nicholas, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

what would look great on that body is clear lacquer, polished....

r

2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I agree 100%!!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. John Nicholas

What I am most likely going to do is put the body in the drum sander and see how much it has to be sanded for the ding to be gone. It looks like it would be less than 1/16 inch to eliminate the ding.

This body is just so unique, it would be a shame not to try and save it...

Once the ding is sanded out, then I'll re-finish using clear lacquer!!

4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Right. Or make a new one and sell the dinged body to one of us ;) for cheap.

5. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

I was bracing to see a lot more carnage than that, but that ain’t so bad!

6. John Nicholas

Starting to get the feeling that you like this body almost as much as I do... ;)

Thanks!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

keep in mind.. ya cannot hear how it looks... and if anyone says anything, just play a little Wilhelm Wagner and ask 'em. . . .can ya do that...? shuts 'em up real fast.. :D

rk

El Tele Lobo and John Nicholas like this.
  8. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Or saw it back past the dings . . . make it ever slightly more Telly-ish. :cool:

ponce likes this.
  9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I'm not trying to be funny but how about some sort of filler like Plastic Wood?

10. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

You're not dumb, just ambitious.

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Drill it out and put a knot in there from another board. Make it a "feature".

12. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I would practice on some scrap but with an exacto knife you can cut under the dent not completely cutting through only enough to raise the area, fill underneath, then sand flush. Or learn to love the ding, really too nice a piece to discard.

Best of luck

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I like your chances of steaming out the edge one better than the dot-shaped one.

If you are okay with a re-fin, I'd say:

1. sand finish off
    2. steam the dents AMAP (corner one might go away after that)
    3. consider cutting a plug for the dot-shaped one; if you have some scraps, a well-matched little 1/8" dot could be literally invisible
    4. sand it down 1/32"
    5. finish in bullet-proof 2-pak urethane ;-)

14. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Wish youself an knot out of slightly darker walnut. I can CNC the positive and negative shape for you. It would be seamless. A fake knot!!!

Barncaster likes this.
  15. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

IMG_3480.JPG Why not just re-contour the upper bout to eliminate those dings, then refinish it. It looks as though you wouldn't have to remove more than roughly a 1/2" inch at the worst spot, then gradually taper it. Not sure if that's do-able, but it's a worth a shot to save that body. My mark up is only a rough idea.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    t guitar floyd and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Or put an overall radius on it like the Rick Turner have...

AAT65 likes this.
  17. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Unless you're building this for a customer, I'm for leaving it be. I got some screwdriver dings in a recent esquire build trying to hurry and finish it up before school started. I decided to leave them. I'm the only one who really notices them and it's kind of a rustic (burned wood) finish anyway. My next preferred choice would be mefgames suggestion above. I think sanding down could create new problems and steaming too...if you're not experienced. Only you know your skill level though. If you're building it for yourself, I would leave them be. I couldn't see them on the front. Are they on the back? If so, all the more reason to ignore them. Or, as someone suggested, glue a gemstone in the big one and put a drop of finish in the other. YMMV. It's a beautiful piece of wood. Hope you find a good solution.

18. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I find it hard to believe that steaming will do anything more than reduce those hacks somewhat, which is a help, I guess. I would try sawdust and color in CA and fill and finish, as it looks like the dents are in fairly plain areas. You might luck out. The probability is that this is going to be a blemished body. If it's an important guitar, I would make a new body. If it's a player, then I guess you repair it as best you can and live with it. Occasionally, we wreck stuff. Personally, I would not leave the hacks as they are because they are very visible and pretty ugly. It's quite possible that while filling is unlikely to end up invisible, there's a decent possibility it may end up being quite inconspicuous. Good luck. Sorry it happened.

19. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I used a clothes steamer on dings once and was amazed at how well it worked, but.. the dings weren't as deep, and the body hadn't been finished yet.

So yeah, I'd try steaming first for sure but expect to sand and refinish also.

20. John Nicholas

How about this??

I'll give a few suggestions a try/test..

I suppose it would be simplest to try the iron solution first... What suggestions for heat settings on the iron?? How wet should the cloth be? how far away should the iron be held?

I don't have very high hopes for the iron solution, but if it works, no one will be happier than I will...

Next most requested solution was to plug - fill - inlay similar wood to either make it look seamless or create a "feature". I'm not into the feature idea, so a seamless solution is what I will attempt...

Turns out I still have the offcuts from cutting out the body.

IMG_4328.jpg

I'm thinking of slicing off a similarly grained chunk and using that as an inlay. The hope is that it will not stick out like a searchlight on a dark moonless night.

I do have some hope for this idea. Although it would be quite a bit of work and still may not work to my satisfaction.

If these few attempts fail, I will put the body on the drum sander and thin the body until the dings are no longer visible, then re-finish the body with clear.

Any tips? Ideas? Caveats before heading down these paths?

With any luck I can try these tomorrow morning and will report back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.