Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Did something really dumb... how can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by John Nicholas, Feb 14, 2019 at 6:20 AM.

1. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    One of the dangers of building more then one guitar at a time I suppose... and not enough room. When moving another body a pickup that was not attached fell out and hit the Walnut body.

Leaving two pretty deep dings.

How can I fix this? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

IMG_4327.JPG IMG_4326.JPG

2. unclearty

unclearty Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2006
    South central Mass.
    The top one...that looks like a hole...drill out and insert either a small stone or circle of contrasting wood....then fill the little ding. The eye will be focused on the insert...won't even notice the little ding

teleman1 and Peregrino69 like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'd vote to leave it alone. Guitars get dinged up. If you drop fill it, it'll look like you drop filled it. Unless you go opaque, there isn't much you can do to hide it in my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:35 AM
  4. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

1- Make sure your wife or significant other isn't home.
    2- Sneak into laundry room and place clothes iron under your shirt. (Make sure it is turned off first. Wish someone would have told me that first)
    3- Get a damp cloth, not that damp, ring a little more out.
    4- Turn the iron on high. (Take it out from under your shirt first. Wish someone would have told me first)
    5- Place damp cloth over dent and pres lightly with the iron where the dent is located.

The steam will be forced down into the wood fibers and expand them. You may need to do it several times to expand as much as possible. Let it dry thoroughly and see where you are. Whatever indentation is left I drop fill with layers of CA glue. It may look like a slight wave in the grain when done but muchhhhh better than some glob of putty that doesn't quite match.

Look forward to pics of progress.

Oh, and welcome to the "did something dumb club." Your in good company.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

5. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

Nov 13, 2008
    Wales
    What eallen says. Damp cloth and hot iron works really well.

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
  7. Fatcat211

Fatcat211 Tele-Meister

Nov 15, 2011
    Nyc
    I’ve had good success steaming out dings. Although with those in particular. I would use a soldering iron and damp rag. You might even want to drop that pickup on some scrap and practice your technique.

If it doesn’t work, you can relic or let it be the first of many natural wear marks.

8. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Great idea about dropping the pickup on a scrap and testing!!

Honestly I'd even be willing to sand the body down and re-finish it. Only problem is that one ding is far too deep. :(

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Don't do a strip and refinish -- way too much work and the value drips precipitously.

Steam will lift the dings some, but you have broken fibers. It will lift quite a bit not all the way.

Key is make sure the cotton t-shirt is damp so the iron sizzles -- that ensures the guitar is not seeing a temperature above the 212F where the water boils away. Otherwise you'll melt and burn the finish.

Get some tint, stain, or shoe polish to color in the broken fiber ends and then use the CA glue to drop fill. Use a razor blade with both ends taped giving you a lift section of blade exposed to scrape the glue back. Use small strips of 400, 600, 800, 1500 grit paper to put under your finger over the spot and pull the strip. Lift your finger, reposition the strip, press, pull. Do that over and over until it seems flush then go with the next finer grit. Eventually you can get it all smoothed out and polish up with car polish (swirl remover) to buff it out then car wax.

jrblue likes this.
  10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    For the amount of work that it will take to make a repair invisible, I'd ask myself whether it would be less work to just do another body and make that a keeper or add a few more dings, add some used parts, and sell it as a used guitar. I had a Norlin era LP Custom with a " repaired" ding in the same spot. It stuck out like a sore thumb the whole time I had it. Sometimes you just have to move on. You gotta know when to fold em….. and only you know that. If you are gonna try and save it, an opaque paint could be your friend. YMMV.:).

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    since the fibers are cut.. there is no simple way to repair it and have it be invisible... while steaming will force the compressed fibers to swell. they will not swell to exactly the pre ding state,. thus some refinishing will be necessary....

so... you have to ask is the scar the two un repaired ding leave more objectionable than the scars and the refinished area will leave...

it is possible to do a perfect repair, but you're talking about a considerable amount of effort... and that effort has to be magnified by considerable talent... That's fare more trouble than just making a new body and not dinging it this time..

rk

8barlouie, El Tele Lobo and getbent like this.
  12. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
  13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    I had some success steaming out a neck dent. The technique I learned (here on TDPRI): a drop of water in the dent, then touch it with a hot pin. Repeat as needed.

Worth a try -- even if the dent doesn't completely steam out, you might be able to reduce it from a nasty "dent" to a milder "ding."

I like Noah's sunburst solution above.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Just an FYI, this dent happened over a month ago... I knew it was bad, so I put it away and didn't look at it until today.

I have to admit that just making another one sounds like my best bet!!

Thank you everyone for your time in offering suggestions and ideas....

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Just an FYI...

Not sure a sunburst would look good on this body...

IMG_3480.JPG

And it would be a shame to cover this walnut...

El Tele Lobo and Barncaster like this.
  16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you decide to make a new one, maybe you can sell that body. I think it's pretty nice, even with a couple dings....

17. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2014
    Oregon
    As Mick Jagger might have sung...

I want to see it painted, painted black
    Black as night, black as coal
    I want to see the sun, blotted out from the sky
    I want to see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
    Yeah

gwjensen likes this.
  18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I have gotten amazing results by drop-filling with CYA.
    Not invisible, but MUCH less visible.
    The fact that it's clear makes it appear the color of the surrounding wood.

MickM likes this.
  19. zhyla

zhyla Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2013
    Northern Hemisphere
    Assuming it’s already got finish on it, I would just lay down another coat or two of finish. The smaller ding will just disappear and the other won’t be as noticeable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.