Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Did I just ruin my blus jr?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by savetheclouds, Jul 10, 2018.

1. savetheclouds

savetheclouds TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Alabama
    So a few years ago I converted my blues jr into a head and cab. It looks awesome but I have always been terrified of forgetting to plug the speaker back in after moving it. Well today I just moved it to my basement I hooked everything up I turned it on let it warm up and it sounded fine for about 2 minutes. Then it went silent and started crackling and that's when I remember I didn't hook the reverb tank back up. So I turned it off and hook up the reverb. I turned it back on and it crackled and then the light when out on it. And it went completely silent. Did I just ruin it?

2. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    almost certainly had nothing to do with the reverb connections (or lack thereof). If nothing even lights up you've either blown a fuse or the power transformer died. First thing to do is check the fuse. If it's blown there's usually a reason that happened so don't just race to replace it and turn it on again. Better to go step by step and isolate the problem.

schmee, chemobrain and nojazzhere like this.

3. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

Jul 1, 2008
    NZ
    More likely a failing filter/bias cap (or tube). The IC caps in those Fenders are notoriously defective.

chemobrain and trouserpress like this.

4. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    .... when is the last time you replaced the tubes? If it has been more than a year look there first. I use this amp ... it eats tubes. It is just the nature of the beast.

5. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    I too would doubt that you ruined it. Sounds very similar to what mine did to me. It was a bias cap as elpico mentioned. Tech replaced it with one that would run the bias a little cooler. Blues Juniors usually run pretty hot. Since then it has run perfectly. I'd love to see pics of the cab and head.

6. savetheclouds

Aug 7, 2015
    Alabama

7. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US

8. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    Can't tell from the pic, is that Rolex or stained wood? If wood, what kind?

9. savetheclouds

Aug 7, 2015
    Alabama

It's actually suede leather.

stratman54 and Frontier9 like this.

10. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    If this is the case he probably also replaced a resistor.

stratman54 likes this.

11. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    that wonderful , very chic , retro even. I think it's teleworthy nice job. good luck.

12. timewaster1700

timewaster1700 Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2016
    Utah
    Love your custom head and cabinet. Looks awesome. Do you have a light bulb current limiter? If not I highly suggest you build one before proceeding. It saved my butt several times with my 5F11 build. I just got some parts from Home Depot and put it together one night and its been a life saver. Also @robrob has excellent instructions on his site for amp startup step by step to isolate any issues.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.