Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Did I buy a guitar with two Seymour Duncan Bridge pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Golem, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm not complaining because I got a good deal and it doesn't sound bad, just fuller and warmer in the neck than I had expected. Both pickups have the same code.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Michigan
    Looks like yes....the neck should have a "1n" instead of a "1b" designation.

But in the old days, guitar pickups were picked from a bin and oftimes the neck was hotter than the bridge, or they were most often the same.

I wanted a pair of clear buckers for a Les Paul and bought a pair of Duncan '59 NECK pickups for both positions. Matched volumes with pickup heights just like in the old days. I measured them and think one was 7.08k and one was 7.05k and I put the "hotter" one in the bridge :)

You should be fine, but if it bugs you, change out the neck pickup. Is that a Hamer 335ish guitar? I remember that some of those had a 25.5" scale which I would really like.

George

nojazzhere and Golem like this.

3. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The previous owner was an acoustic player and didn't know much about this (including the mods). It's definitely a Hamer Echotone. I don't think I can tell what the scale is without measuring it, but I heard 25.25" was the scale. I prefer that neck length but it wasn't a factor in me purchasing it. It also doesn't have that 15 degree headstock tilt, which makes it less prone to breakage.

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Typically P90s are usually wound the same (number of winds, DCR, blah blah.) regardless if it's the bridge or neck.

Edit: SD Phat Cats should measure at 8.5k for the bridge and 8k for the neck if you want to check for yourself.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Many people have specific preferences for neck/bridge pickups, but I don't unless they are drastically different. It just so happens that on my Tele the bridge p/u measures around 10K ohms, and the neck and middle (yeah, middle) are both around 12K Ohms. I simply adjust the pick up height a little different....besides, on your guitar, you have separate volume/tone controls....you can compensate. HOW DO THEY SOUND? I wouldn't overthink this.
    ....FWIW....I've rarely been accused of overthinking ANYTHING. ;)

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    not the original pickups.... the Echotone was Korean made with "Duncan Design" pups. nice guitars though... I put Seth Lovers in mine.

th.jpg

and fwiw, the SD Phat Cats were designed for the Hamer Newport, which was an American made guitar at about 3x the money. similar, but only one tone & volume. I got one of those too

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Golem and Mincer like this.

7. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Apparently, in the earlier years of electric guitar production there were only pickups and neck and bridge specs didn't exist.

nojazzhere and Golem like this.

8. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    This is true. You can balance the Phat Cats with pickup height, like they did back then. There isn't a huge difference in output between neck and bridge of these models, anyway.

nojazzhere likes this.

9. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Michigan
    Having started playing in 1966, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, there was no such thing as different pickups for positions (other than a Tele which has 2 different styles) and some alleged overwound pickups were simply factory accidents. And could end up in the neck position as easily as they could in the bridge.

I am a long time Hamer fan but have only boltnecks--I have 2 US T-51's (teles), a US Daytona (strat), and a mongrel tele with a USACG body and a US Daytona neck. Bought them all in the 90's (they were made 1993-1997) Interestingly, their bolt necks all used a square tele-style neck pocket but are also 1/16" wider than a Fender neck at the heel...

I prefer longer scales so the Echotone always seemed like a cool guitar to have but I'm just not into 335ish guitars any more after playing a Gibson 335 as my main squeeze from 1976-1993. Got into Teles in '93 and like them best.

George

10. LtKojak

LtKojak Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2013
    Milano, Italy
    Golem: take a DC reading of both p'ups. It could be that one p'up got the wrong sticker.

Golem likes this.

11. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Michigan
    I was gonna suggest that but would bet that it's a pair of bridge pickups. No big deal--pretend it's 1966 and you have a couple pickups that are slight overwinds :) Or swap out the neck pickup--I'm sure you could sell off an extra bridge pickup easily.

12. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Easier: Phat Cat neck model in a set is RWRP so the middle position should be humless. If it’s not, you have two bridge pickups. No big deal.

13. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    PM me if you want to sell one; I could pop it in my Epi Junior.

(Edit: Although to be honest, in your situation I'd just lower the neck pickup an extra hair.)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.