Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Did an upgrade last night, and a little snooping

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gigante_Miguel, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2018
    San Bruno, CA
    I recently picked up a Telecaster in a trade that the serial number indicates as a "late 77-early 78" guitar. It's been great, and I got a deal because it ha a non-standard 6-saddle bridge, a mystery bridge pickup and a couple of other mods. Nothing irreversible, and I was fine with the 6-saddle bridge, but I was breaking more strings than usual, so I picked up a Fender 3-saddle replacement bridge and some compensated saddles.

I dug into it last night and while I had the bridge off was interested to see that the pickup is a Kent Armstrong, one of the Korean made ones, and it sounds great, so it will stay put.

I also pulled the neck to see if anything was stamped there, and it looks like '82, which also fits the serial number style. A good example of how things sat around on the shelves in Fullerton.

So after a surprisingly easy set up, the thing is about 50% brighter! An absolute jangly twang monster.

dOZpHAM3S6OsIzTXEAi8kQ.jpg Gt%Th6FyT8KWWPvup6HF2A.jpg e2jvh1GTToKe6R0tLsreDw.jpg r7vx7UgMTzmD6woN6QsfIw.jpg

Geo, rze99, nojazzhere and 10 others like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
  3. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
  4. Squiretele777

Squiretele777 TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Nova Scotia
    Ya cant beat that tele twang

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice. Great post.

Anyone mostly comfortable with "resetting" the neck, should go for it. The resultant sound can be so much more focused.

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Nice!

FYI - Fender just used the S8xxxxx serial numbers on Teles from 1978 through 1982. It wasn't that then necks sat around, but the decals did (or they messed up when they did their annual decal order). Similarly Fender used S9xxxxx decals on Strats from 1979-1981 - but they did go to E2xxxxx decals for the 1982 Strats.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Very nice! Congratulations!

8. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2018
    San Bruno, CA
    Pretty much how I understood it

9. thatteleguy

thatteleguy TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2019
    East Sussex, UK
    Awesome! Looks great.

10. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    I have a 1991 with a 1999 sn. I have read that Fender printed decals for the whole decade, and then started at the wrong end of the pile! Doh!

People frequently insist my Am Stnd Tele is a 1999, but i know it is a 1991 because I was there when I bought it!
    ( brand new at Sam Ash in 1991!)

LPTyler and T Prior like this.
  11. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Sorry , we don't care if you were there in 91 when you bought it, it's a 99, Fender said so ! :)

12. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    That was a little different - at that time the decals were 2 parts: the words "Serial Number" and the letter were part of one decal, the number was a separate 6-digit decal. What they did was continue to use 6-digit decals that started with a "9" after they switched from the other decals with the "E" to ones with the "N" - they should have also switched to 6-digit decals that started with a "0".

Not long after that Fender began ordering the decal with the "Serial Number" and letter also with that first digit that signified the year - likely when they began to need 6 full digits for the individual number instead of five (so the one decal would now have "Serial Number" and say "N4" instead of just "N" ). If that makes any sense.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.