Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Dick Dale Strings and Tuning

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RatherBeFishing, Feb 15, 2013.

1. RatherBeFishing

RatherBeFishing Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2008
    where the trout are
    Hey

I've found a couple sources stating that Dick Dale used somewhere in the midst of 18-58 size strings and another stating that it might be tuned down an entire octave (or Step, octave doesn't really make sense in guitar tuning does it?).

Do those have to be custom assembled string sets?

About the tuning... There is a lot less info around in that department.

Check out this pic:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/unsteadyfreddie/6286107464/in/set-72157628076543044/

Is that an alternate tuning on his pickguard? Well, for 5 of the strings any way.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    Huh. Wacky. It certainly looks like an alternate tuning, or else he's trying to remember a very short melody from some song.

3. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon
    Yeah Dick Dale uses Dean Markley Strings.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RatherBeFishing

Jun 29, 2008
    where the trout are
    Where is a good place to buy single strings?

6. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I've heard several times that he uses 13-56 strings & as far as I know, standard tuning.

Bob

7. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon
  8. RatherBeFishing

Jun 29, 2008
    where the trout are
    13-56 is probably close enough, especially for a more of Dick Dale wanna-be like my self rather than a true rapid fire tremolo picker. I have big hands and the fast up down picking has always been difficult, my touch just isn't quite light enough on the up stroke. I think large strings would help out and Strats just seem to beg for bigger strings imho.

Tazzboy, thanks for the tip. That place looks awesome.

The closest thing I have found to the widely reported 16(or 18)-58 Dick Dale set is a 7 string Ernie Ball Slinky 2620 set. The 1st E string would be of no use to me and I still would need to pick up some plain 16s and 20s.

I've never used the Slinky's. I'll give it a shot unless anyone protests with claims of what rancid garbage they are. :lol:

9. RatherBeFishing

Jun 29, 2008
    where the trout are
  10. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon
    Nope. I use DR Pure Blues at the moment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.