Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Devil's Advocate: The Gibson Question

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by seanmarshall9, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:06 PM.

1. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Glad to hear they are keeping Memphis open...the ES line was well done.

Personally I think they simply need to tighten up final inspection in nashville is my impression and thats nothing new nor with any manufacturing in relation to specs. I cant imagine 2015 breaking any sales records either but innovation and novelty is also part of the game which is how we wound up with the LP V SG and so forth and in various offerings. Their entry level guitars are remarkable and "always" have been, and they simply have a great price point.

I dont think it will need rocket science to correct any finance issue especially in this climate today in america. I dont see anything but perhaps better quality final inspection instruments on the horizen.

2. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2012
    West Sussex Uk
    I agree, personally I’ve not played a bad Memphis 335 in the last few years. I think people get caught up in the fashionable sport of Gibson bashing. However when they first moved production from Nashville to Memphis, it seems to take a while to get the QC up to speed. (I have direct experience of this, so I bought an old Nashville 335 instead and returned the Memphis). I also had a 2011 Les Paul Standard with terrible lacquer finish, don’t mean they’re all the same though!!

3. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    That said I havent seen anything past this news report which imo would have resolved any issue they had.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/mo...area-warehouse-other-sales-pending/862044001/

"CEO Henry Juszkiewicz referred to those properties as underutilized industrial buildings for which the company didn't have plans in the near term. "With the substantial development in the neighborhood in the last year, we felt a sale with a reinvestment of proceeds would make more sense," he added. "This is a decision we have been discussing for more than a year, and we felt market timing was optimal now.""

4. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    The Gibson Corporation has a new windfall. It's called a tax cut. Why I don't know, I never thought corporations as people.

People are just trash to them.

5. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Seems like their problems are fixable if they just do some streamlining and cut the fat as in focus on QC and doing the things they do best.

The brand is too iconic to ever go away entirely. Someone will always want to take a crack at restoring it.

Gibson is the ying to Fender’s yang in my book. Whatever the future holds I’ll always own both.

6. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Lately though, it really does seem that Fender is trying to overtake Gibson in some kind of "corporate mismanagement" contest. Getting a blind guy who's never even heard of a guitar before to design your 2018 line up was definitely a baller move. I mean, looking at what they came up with, I'm assuming that's what happened. Maybe it was the same guy who designed the 2015 Gibsons.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

No, Gibson (and Fender) have had different ownership. It's not being in business for generations like like Martin or Larrivee - probably others. If not for generations, it doesn't appear to have hands on owners or even management like others such as PRS or Taylor.

It is true Gibson is associated with and a brand like Fender that originated some iconic designs.

I don't wish ill upon them but I'm in an area where a short or nice day trip has me at very well stocked guitar shops. Repeatedly that's showed me a common complaint about consistency and quality relative to the price tag has been true.

It's easy to only care for for the lower tier jobs Gibson might have because of the way their boss vs other guitar company bosses have been in public or about their politics.

This is a mature market. At this point we can divide types of guitars up a lot like the auto industry - coupes, sedans, wagons, etc... When I go shopping Gibson looks like some of the auto industry where a historic brand with nice designs is for sale but not really one of the top tier players. That's clearly fine for many. Especially people who are fans of a brand or prone to tribal thought and behavior. It's not good if you have an open mind and seek the best more than stick with a favorite team.

8. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Well, if you’re only gonna have one, that’s a good one to have!

9. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Some of their minor issues are self created like fender. My deluxe Tele LP is a perfect example....look at the bridge and stop tail apparently Gibson is unable or unwilling to fix the visual flaw which bothers a good deal of players. Sonically it's not a flaw but it's a 2000 dollar visual mess.

And let's be clear Fender isn't much better I was at GC yesterday talking with their tech and another customer with a brand new Tele with fret sprout and not from weather but unfinished work. I don't defend bad work but am amazed Daisy Rock can get it right where for example Gibson struggles. Just saying how hard is to fix such a simple issue? These are both American innovative designs copied world wide so I have no idea which tribe people gravitate to but apparently it's these designs which in my opinion require a bit more pride and quality and more important customer service with other than PR incompetence designed to play short stop for profit.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 5:37 AM

10. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Maybe they can accomplish this for 2019 without the strings hitting the back of the bridge. That's not bashing it's called honesty..."shrug"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 6:06 AM

11. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

You would have to give me them for free, and pay me to play them before I would use a Gibson. I think they are probably the most badly designed solid body guitars you can find. I'll stick with the Telecaster & Stratocaster thank you very much.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The studs in the stop tail are usually adjustable for height to get the strings off of the back of the bridge as long as the break angle isn't negatively affected. Then a lot of Gibby owners will wrap the strings over the stop tail to stop what your talking about from happening. That design works though and works well on a carved top. Some like it, some don't.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    What about the SG, LP JR and LP Specials? They're made just like the Tele design-wise.

14. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Sorry Zepfan, they are nothing like a Tele design wise. They all have glued in, pitched back necks and they all have those disaster waiting to happen pitched back headstocks.

Picton likes this.

15. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2010
    The Ol' Pueblo
    My mistake... I was thinking of a Slash interview where he described throwing one through a wall... maybe that was an 80s model.

16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Bashing Gibson is only as' fashionable a sport'
    As blind brand loyalty is.
    My observations are not fashion.
    Gibsons are about 80% good, and they rest horrid.
    Seldom excellent.
    End of line quatlity control will not fix the problem of the mis set necks I keep seeing.
    The wrong angle is simply inexcusable.
    And I don't see it on lesser brands and gibsoneque variants.

17. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Olympia, Wa
    Ya all can diss da Gibby all you wan't......I let mine do the talking for me. An she got dat sweet voice.
    [​IMG]

ac15 likes this.

18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Wait, i thought Fender was next week. Isn’t this PRS hate week?

19. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Well, that's every week.

Fender gets a special nod for releasing new things this week that do not conform exactly to the desires of each and every member of the community.

seanmarshall9 likes this.

20. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    to elaborate anything that isn't a vintage reissue or a standard model.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.