Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Devil's Advocate: The Gibson Question

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by seanmarshall9, Jan 12, 2018.

1. seanmarshall9

seanmarshall9 TDPRI Member

May 13, 2015
    Perhaps not the best thread for a Telecaster discussion, but the question and skepticism about what is really going on at Gibson behind the scenes continues to fill up my newsfeed.

The video below sums up their issues in 2017. The news I heard via yesterday's Fret Files podcast adds to the confusion: Gibson won't be going to Winter NAMM '18, opting to instead go to an Electronics Convention for their affiliation with the Phillips brand (??).

Now for my Devil's Advocate position: I know this looks like Gibson is in shambles currently, and their products are way overpriced and inconsistent, but hasn't Gibson always been this way?

Take a look at their War time policies, their denial of making guitars during war time, their inconsistent record-keeping, and their strange quality control issues since, oh wait,-- ALWAYS.

Isn't this mystery and seemingly chaotic display part of their legacy? I'd love to hear some discussion this.
    savofenno, Dan R and Piggy Stu like this.

2. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    If they go out of business, the price of used Gibson's will rise. I'm good with that.
    viccortes285, mimmo and Sofaplayer like this.

3. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    They've been in business for over a 100 years, through 2 World Wars, Depressions, wood restrictions. Opinions won't stop Gibson either.

4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    I don't know. My two 2016 Gibsons are great, and were not overpriced. I owned a number of second hand Gibbys in the past, same thing.

I do realize that models with quality control issues may have been filtered out by retailers before they got to me.

Granted, some of their higher end 3k+ models I wouldn't buy, but that also has something to do with my income.

Whatever odd pricing arrangements Gibson has had, I've been happy with my Gibsons through the years. Only reason some were sold is that they weren't the right guitar for me at the time.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    studio1087 and viccortes285 like this.

5. Hawk8789

Hawk8789 TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nv
    The worst that can happen is someone buys the brand. Might turn out to be the best thing that ever happened.

Weird thing about Gibson;
    The 335 and SG are their only ‘successful’ electric guitars, having never gone out of production. They have a long history of introducing models that fail.
    savofenno, drlucky and Smiff like this.

6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    You're a couple days too late. We hate Fender now.
    Alex W, boredguy6060, rad1 and 14 others like this.

7. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    My 2005 SG Standard is impeccable, that's how I derived my opinion of Gibson: They're franking great guitars :)

Only a Sith deals in absolutes, no manufacturer of anything is perfect all the time so nothing will stop my quest for a great LP cause I know they're out there.
    Minimalist518 and mtown like this.

8. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I think we need to ask the mods to set up a Gibson discussing sub-forum...

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't hate my Fenders, or my Gibsons. Maybe I've been lucky, but they are all great,
    My concern is what will happen if (or when) Fender buys out Gibson.
    I know you are all thinking the same thing.
    I would like to think they will take Gibson's primary models (LP, SG, 335, etc) back to their glory days, similar to the Gretsch models they re-introduced. I'm not going to think about pricing, it would just make me ill.
    How far off am I?
    savofenno likes this.

10. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    I actually think the the QC has been better than for example the 90s. I thought Memphis was building pretty decent semis also. I think Memphis is closing.

I cant speak on 2017 but as mentioned last few years Ive actually been playing them..go figure.

11. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Bashing Gibson is a popular sport, but many love their Gibson .. even the recent ones :)
    LPTyler, Dan R, Sconnie and 2 others like this.

12. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    Mine play great I just get bored with humbuckers now and again but for some time I was playing Hamer, the QC for sure was better imho. They couldnt sand the body and binding right for about ten years. :) They are getting BETTER no seriously. DONT QUIT NOW wt hey.

13. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2010
    The Ol' Pueblo
    I am more comfortable with the 25.5" scale length, my guitar heroes favored Fenders, and I love the versatility of a Tele... only reasons why I am a Fender guy.

I feel no need to bash Gibson.

I've played Gibsons I liked, and Gibsons I hated. I've never bonded with any of them. I knew they had REALLY bad quality issues in the 90s, but I thought they were fixed.

I'm sorry they are having issues. I hope the company thrives.
    VikinginLA and seanmarshall9 like this.

14. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    The new 2019 proto Kiss LP Tele

Attached Files:

15. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    I miss the good ol days when Guitar Center was going bankrupt every week.

16. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    I can't speak for any Gibson I haven't had my own hands on, but I've owned and played a fair share and never had any problems with any of them. None. All were bought used so I never got gouged on new prices, but I think ALL guitars are overpriced new.

17. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I’m partial to fender electrics. Played my fair share of Gibson electrics, buddies guitars, and have always loved the Gibson sound, but never clicked with the feel or look. But, I love my j-45 Vintage reissue which is just a few years old.
    savofenno and seanmarshall9 like this.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The only Gibson I have now has a 25.5" scale, an L-5 ;)
    chesire likes this.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I've had a Gibson, Fender and a lot of cheapies. I miss the Gibby and Strat, but I've made do with cheapies that I've modded or guitars I've made/built.

Lots of companies have survived the depression and 2 world wars only to die from bad management. Pontiac and Oldsmobile to name a couple along with some electronic companies. Gibson has a bad management problem that will lead to failure if allowed to continue.
    drlucky and Piggy Stu like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.