Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Derek Trucks Tele autograph, help

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Smokey89, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Smokey89

Smokey89 TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2012
    High Point,NC
    Got to see Derek trucks a few days ago in Spartanburg ,SC and wow!! His playing is other worldly but I got the opportunity to meet him after the show and he signed my Select series Tele right below the bridge pickup, it's in permanent sharpie but any other ideas on how to preserve and make sure the autograph doesn't fade I play the Tele heavily, any ideas would be appreciated thanks

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    if you spray it with clear it will usually make the sig melt and run off.

There really isnt much you can do.

3. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    My idea is this ..

Why don't you try to make a clear acrylic plastic sheet that would be held down by the edge of the bridge plate and the top edge of the control plate. I have some adhesive backed clear material that is sold to protect your cars hood leading edge or across the top of your rear bumper cover below the trunk opening for protection.The plastic will protect the signature and still let you see it even in the distant future. The adhesive backed tape can be purchased in a roll at Pep Boys or other aftermarket automobile parts stores.

Search the internet using paint protection plastic or film like this one that even has a video clib. http://www.decalfx.com/paint_protection_film.html

The cost starts at around $25.00 and you would have enough to do 30 or so guitars.:D

Another possibility is to go by the local Window Tint installers and talk to them or dumpster dive for scraps. Let us know what you end up doing, especially if it works!

Lost_N_Austin

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

get some of that laminate stuff for cards, fishing license, insurance cards, etc you carry in your billfold. usually can be found at Walmart in the checkout lines or back in sporting goods, it's adhesive and you can buy enough to cover 50 signature for just a few dollars.

6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Yup, that's the way to go, clear PET film adhered over the signature.

7. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2012
    Chicagoland
    Just curious, how did you happen to have your tele on hand at a show? Were you opening or playing on a side stage or something? I'm jealous, Derek Trucks is one of my favorite guitarists of all time.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Use a spray acrylic sealant, available at artist's supplies, test it first…. you can clear coat over it..

Ron Kirn

9. Smokey89

Smokey89 TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2012
    High Point,NC
    Thanks for the suggestions, ima have to test them out, and to MindFlayer I just was at the show, and thought to bring my Tele and by chance if I asked around I could figure out a way to get him to sign it, I left my guitar in the car during the show because they wouldn't let me bring it in, but luckily for me I asked around and discovered Derek's father was helping with the merchandise stand so I asked him and he said after the show behind the building wear his touring bus is I might be able to catch him, I tried it and sure enough as he was walking out he saw me standing there and was a really cool down to earth guy, and signed my Tele and my copy of tedeschi trucks new album! Was a very cool/ surreal experience getting to meet my favorite guitarist and getting his signature, and discovering how nice of a person he is!

10. MReynolds

MReynolds Tele-Meister

....or you could have RK just run up the street to Dereks house and get him to re-sign it for ya when it fades.....hahahahaha

11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Retire the Tele, box it up, then tell your kinfolk to pass it on to the next generation (and instruct them to do the same). A couple of generations from now, that Tele is going to be worth some big $$$!

12. Smokey89

Smokey89 TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2012
    High Point,NC
    Yeah ive thought about retiring it, on top of it now having his signature it also was 1 of the first 100 select series tele"s ever made it came with a certificate signed by the vice president of fender which only the first 100 guitars made got, retiring it would be hard though, I love the hell out of the thing probaly would be the wisest decision though, lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.