Deluxe Reverb RI Footswitch Question (Vibrato/Tremolo Related)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mistermullens, Jun 11, 2019.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

So, I love reverb, and I love tremolo. My stock footswitch is a little cumbersome because I don't need an on/off button for my reverb. It's on all the time, and always will be. However, as much as I love it, I don't need tremolo on every song. I've searched, but can't seem to find information on a pedal or mod that allows me to just turn on/off the tremolo with a footswitch on a DRRI. I don't think a single button footswitch will work, or will it? I don't have one, otherwise I'd just try it. Can I just disconnect the reverb connection on the existing footswitch so I don't inadvertently turn off the reverb when engaging tremolo? Thanks in advance for the help!

2. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Yes, you can just disconnect the reverb connection.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Cumbersome? Seriously?

nojazzhere and AlbertaGriff like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

When I used a Super Reverb, and wanted to switch on or off the tremolo, I often had trouble seeing the double switch pedal on a dark stage. I simply unplugged (at amp) the reverb plug, and then I just stepped on both switches at the same time.....regardless of which one was for trem, I was bound to get it.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

My previous post was all wet. Yeah, the plug is a 1/4 stereo plug. A single button switch will work, figure out which wire goes to the tip and which to the middle contact. Just wire the Vibrato wire. Or just unsolder the reverb wire from the plug and step on both buttons if you want, the reverb will be not effected.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    nojazzhere and mistermullens like this.
  6. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

First, you need a single mono foot switch. Then, you need a TRS (stereo) plug. Remove the existing mono plug from the foot switch cable.
    (Side bar: "Plug" is male. "Jack" is female.)
    Now you'll need to figure out which side of the *stereo* plug hooks up to the tremolo side of the foot switch cable. Is it Tip/Sleeve or Ring/Sleeve? Hey, now you're a scientist!
    The result: a single foot switch hooked up to one side of the stereo plug. TA DA!

GuitLoop and mistermullens like this.
  7. mistermullens

On a small pedalboard, it certainly can be cumbersome.

8. mistermullens

Thanks for the advice. I'll disconnect the reverb wires on the stock pedal, and work on the wiring for a single button footswitch when I can pick one up.

9. E5RSY

Then don't put it on the board. Why not set it next to the board on its own? That's what I do. In fact, even my tuner doesn't go on the board and take up valuable space. I carry it in a bag or case and set it next to the board when in use.

Have you seen these? It's a plug that leaves trem and reverb on all the time. No need for the footswitches, but you would have to manage them at the amp with the knobs since they're always on.

https://reverb.com/item/4419838-fen...everb-vibrato-plug-always-keeps-footswitch-on

[​IMG]

GuitLoop likes this.
  10. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I thought about using one of those but leads to a question...is there any downside to leaving trem on all the time? Wear and tear on the trem roach?

One known downside...with intensity at zero trem can make a small ticking sound sometimes.

11. nojazzhere

So, they no longer use the two RCA plugs?.....shows what I know. My post above refers to the ORIGINAL Black Face amps......sorry.

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I made the same mistake. Not sure why Leo ever went to the RCA crappy plug thing really. One of his rare stupid ideas!

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. E5RSY

I imagine stereo 1/4" (2-ring) plugs didn't exist at the time.

14. nojazzhere

Pretty sure they did exist.....didn't military communications equipment use them?

E5RSY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.