Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Deluxe Reverb Jr.??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Scotty 2, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2007
    Ft.Pierce,Florida
    Hi Guys,,As the Blues Deluxe has a Jr,,In YOUR opinion,,would you call
    the Princeton Reverb a Jr.of the Deluxe Reverb??What are the "pros & cons"
    of your opinion?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Nope. Diff circuits, diff amps.

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    No. Not anymore than you could call a Pro a Twin Jr.

The Blues Deluxe doesn't have a Jr. anyway.
    It's a Blues Jr.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    The Princeton Reverb is closer to being a Jr. to a DR (no?) than the other amps cited as they are different circuits/power tubes too...

Could you think of the PR as as being a "one-channel(Vibrato) DR?" (albeit with less power, the 10" vs.12" speaker, and the PR's particular tremolo circuit), or am OFF here?

6. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2007
    Ft.Pierce,Florida
    It must be Jr. to something or it wouldn't be a Jr.would it?

7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    No. Just like the Hot Rod Deluxe has almost nothing in common with a Deluxe or a Deluxe Reverb.
    Fender just sticks names on them. Sometimes without any logical reason it seems to me.
    The Pro Jr. is nothing like a Pro or Pro Reverb.

8. supersam

supersam Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2010
    Lansing, MI
    Honestly, I feel like all of the blackface/silverface amps sound very similar, with the obvious difference in power. They all have different characteristics due to different circuits, power ratings, speaker configurations, etc. But they still all sound like different variations of the same amp to me. The Champ is the baby, Princeton is the Jr, then the Deluxe, Vibrolux, Pro, Super, Twin, etc. They all behave differently due to the circuits and size, but personally, I'd consider them in the same family. I have a Princeton that I play with 99% of the time, and I played a friends Deluxe Reverb at a show recently and I feel like my tone was pretty much the same. I could hear myself better onstage due to the fact that it's more powerful and a bigger speaker, but really think my tone was very similar.

So long story short, and I know I'm in the minority, but I'll vote for the Princeton being the Jr of the Deluxe. They sound a little different, but close enough to me.

9. paulitik

paulitik Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    If there was a Deluxe Reverb Jr, I'd be very interested in it.

10. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I'd still want a 12" speaker.

11. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    As was mentioned a little above, there are some small (and noticeable to most ears) differences, but I also think the PR is pretty close to a single channel DR, especially with all the good high efficiency 10" speakers available.

Its a tiny bit darker, and the phase inverter and circuit differences cause it to break up earlier and in a little bit mushier way, but within its volume limits I don't think many people listening from another room could hear much difference.

I can play mine in a small bar with a drummer that plays normally and two other guitarists with DRs and keep up no problem. The biggest thing I've noticed is that once you get into the '70s models the volume pots seem to have a different taper. Zero to four on a newer one is about the same as zero to 7.5 or 8 on my mid to late '60s versions. That tends to make it seem like they have no headroom if you're used to being able to use more of the dial.

12. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

Nov 27, 2007
    Maine
    Well, your minority is growing.

13. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    A deluxe jr sounds like something on a Burger King menu.

(mmmmm, buurrgers)!

14. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::eek::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    I can't stand Burger King but I would kill for a Cheese Burger right now. Where did I put my keys?

16. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Allen Amplification Accomplice Jr.

17. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's

Jun 18, 2004
    Arizona
    Actually the Blues Junior was originally marketed as a smaller version of the Blues Deluxe in the Hot Rod Series.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.