Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Deluxe Reverb 68 Custom tremolo issues

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BoneDigger, Sep 12, 2018.

1. BoneDigger

BoneDigger TDPRI Member

May 6, 2008
    Tyler, TX
    So, I just bought this amp and I'm loving it so far. I got it used for a good price. It's a 2016 model. Everything seems to be working as it should except the tremelo. When the trem is switched on, it makes an annoying wump, wump, wump sound almost like the tremolo effect is trying to break out of it's cage. To be more specific, it has a slight tremolo sound even when an instrument is not being played. I tried a new foot switch but same issue. If I switch off the tremolo, the sound fades away.

Thoughts?

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Swap out F%, the tremolo oscillator tube, for a known good 12AX7. You can even pull the first preamp tube, V1, and leave the socket empty - it's the normal channel preamp tube and the amp will work fine on the "vibrato" channel without it.

If replacing the tube does not fix it the amp needs to go to a qualified tech. The "whump whump" indicates the footswitch is working, so if it's not the tube components and voltages on the circuit board need to be tested.

Good luck!

3. BoneDigger

BoneDigger TDPRI Member

May 6, 2008
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks! IllI look into replacing the tube first and see what happens.

4. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Nov 23, 2009
    so. cal
    I had this same issue. I had to try a few different tubes to find one that tamed the thump. Still there to some degree but only with the trem controls turned up high, where you don't notice it much. I believe I read somewhere where Fender had a service bulletin out involving some lead dress changes.

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    And please let us know what happens - we always like to have some sort of closure to technical issue threads. All threads can be found through Google, so knowing the results could help someone else years from now!

Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.