Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

deglossing a "thin skin" glossy nitro body

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by lonesomedave, Dec 19, 2008.

1. lonesomedave

lonesomedave TDPRI Member

May 19, 2007
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I have a "thin skin" glossy nitro body that I want to degloss.
    I've heard of using everything from 00000 steel wool to green scotchbrite pads. I've never wet sanded anything.

Could some of you fine folks give me some direction on this.
    I don't want alot of small scratches. I just want it deglossed and smooth.
    Thanx in advance for your assistance-
    Lonesomedave

2. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    First of all, why? If you must deface a beautiful guitar then I suppose 0000 steel wool will do the trick. Just be gentle with the steel wool and take your time. Rub it in a circular pattern.

Also, welcome to the forum. I didn't mean to sound rude, I just want you to think about this long and hard before you do this.

3. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Yeah, you might also try working backwards from what we normal folks do. Start at maybe 1200 grit and wet sand, 1000, 800, 600, 400 but stop when you get it the way you want. If you make it to 400 you've gone too far.

4. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 11, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    I think that using sandpaper will give you uneven results and possibly cause linear scratches (at least if I was to do it). can't comment on scotchbrite ot steel wool but they both scare me too.

I can bring a gloss nitro finish evenly down to a dull finish using an automobile orbital buffer, a wet buffer pad and Meguiar Heavy Cut cleaner. I did this on a neck I have with no issues.

This produces a perfect, even dull finish that still allows you to get back to gloss later as it put no scratches at all.

Good luck!

5. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I think 1200 grit would do this actually. In a circular motion it wouldn't scratch too badly I wouldn't think but since I like gloss sufaces to be glossy I sure can't say. Meguiar's anything is always a good chlocie though if you have it on hand.

6. madmark

madmark Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    New York
    +1

7. misnomer

misnomer TDPRI Member

Oct 20, 2008
    london UK

8. skibum1999

skibum1999 TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2008
    connecticut
    get some micro-mesh from stewmac...that stuff was designed for this type of thing exactly.

9. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

the safest way to do this, remembering its a "thin skin" meaning there is very little lacquer there, is with a fine cut auto cream - paper will take heaps specially if using it wet, be a gentle rub with steel wool 0000 would be safer but the fine cut will dull the surface slighly

personally i wouldnt touch it as you will have a relic on your hands before you know it - once you have a sand through thats it - respray

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I agree with the rubbing compound idea.
    Simonize used to come in white and pink (maybe it still does).
    The pink was more agressive.
    Even with the white you had to rub hard and use progressively lighter pressure to get a high gloss.
    I bet if you just rub hard with the white, you'll get a satiny finish and remove very little material.

11. dpmulvan

dpmulvan TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2008
    syracuse
    You can use naptha and steel wool or scotch brite(white one). Are you sure the finish is nitro and not a polyester or some other type of poly. because then it would be time to break out the heat gun and respirator

12. lonesomedave

lonesomedave TDPRI Member

May 19, 2007
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Thanx for all the help!
    I have some 1000 handy so I think I'll try that.
    Should i use a foam sanding block and sand wet?

Lonesomedave-

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think 1000 paper is too coarse; it'll take off more material than necessary. And you'll get visible scratches everywhere.

Unless you're trying to relic it, use the scotchbrite 0000 or 000 scrubbies, grey and white, or use some rubbing compound. 2000 paper used wet is the coarsest I would go deglossing it. Use it dry and it'll corn up on you.

14. stratman100

stratman100 TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    You need to first of all matt the the whole surface by lightly wet sanding using the highest number wet sanding paper you can find BUT remember its a thin skin ....be very careful not to lean on it too hard, and be careful to have clean paper so as not to cause scratched. Or alternatively use the pan scrubber as suggested in the by 'misnomer' in the previous reply. Try the back or lower edge first to sample the result.

Once its matt you then use a very mild cutting polish to bring back to a dull lustre, do this very lightly until you get the result you want. I have done this before and you get that dull satin type of finish you see on 40 years olds, but I never tried it on a thin skin. :eek:

15. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2005
    ROCK!linghausen/germany
    toothpaste can do some good things. and you guitar will not catch caries!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.