Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Deft substitute

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by TelZilla, Feb 9, 2018.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I wouldn't use Deft.
    If you search this site you probably find more negatives than positives.
    The Minwax is probably your best bet. (in terms of price and use)
    Watco also makes a good product.
    Do you have a woodcraft near by? They sell Behlens String Instrument Lacquer. The Watco is probably the closest to the Belhens.

Good luck!

3. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    The Minwax clear in spray cans was nitro (basically) at least a year or so ago. I've had very good results with that for necks after using a sealer.

4. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Yeah, I can get Behlen's on Amazon for $12.41. Done deal.

DrASATele likes this.

5. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    +1 on Minwax lacquer!

6. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

Telzilla,

If you really want Deft, they have it at Cleveland Tool and Cutter in Strongsville. It's on Rt. 82 right on the corner of Foltz Industrial Parkway; that's a few miles west of Rt.71.

They also carry some Behlens products, Transtint and Transfast dyes, and a pretty complete line General Finishes stuff. All that sort of stuff is in one section of the store they call the Rockler department.

The rest of the store has all different types of power hand tools and stationary power tools - really nice stuff!

They also have the best selection of router bits I've ever seen in one place; Whiteside, Amana, and Freud. I buy my most of my router bits there. They have a very good sharpening service too, for saw blades and router bits.

They have a pretty fair selection of nice wood too, domestic and foreign hardwoods.

Be forewarned though, if you walk in there to buy one specific thing, it's awful hard to walk out of there without buying at least one more thing out of the hundreds of things that you see and suddenly "need"! :)

Best Regards,
    Geo.

7. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Thanks. Sounds like a cool place.

8. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

Yes, like a craftsman's candy store ;).

9. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So I'm guessing this Deft you speak of isn't the laundry detergent for baby's clothes.

DrASATele likes this.

10. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Think thats Dreft. This is nitrocellulose lacquer. For makin’ guitars shiny and whatnot.

11. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks, I was going t orecommend some wool-lite, but that wouldn't help, laugh.

12. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Westbury, N.Y.
    Watco works well

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I'd stop doing anything except research at this point.

Respectfully, advice on a forum as to "are any of these "nitro" won't help you, since it's apparent you don't understand what "nitro" means. This guarantees finishing problems.

That term has become shorthand for solvent-based lacquer. But to be precise, every commonly-available lacquer is an acrylic/nitrocellulose blend - not just "nitro".

Deft is also an unusual type of lacquer, with a VERY slow cure time. I do not recommend it for guitar part coating.

It is critically important at this point for you to learn the basics, not buy products you don't understand. For basic guitar finishing go to the reranch site and read *everything*. Then, if you want to use locally-available products:

1) Search and read a dozen or more forum threads (or website articles) that compare the qualities of products available to you, and

2) Once you select a *system* (not just one "nitro" product is used in any coating process - there are at least two "coatings" and usually more) apply the ENTIRE system, from preparation to final polishing, on some scrap wood of a similar type/grain. Do this BEFORE a single drop touches your guitar. This way you'll know how each process and product works, get questions answered before hitting a point-of-no-return, and avoid posting a "Please help! I screwed something up on my guitar finish!" thread.

Buying products you don't understand and applying it (them) without any experience pretty much guarantees you will have problems - and some are not fixable without stripping.

Spend several hours doing research first; then several in practice application next.

14. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    You seem fun.

Lighten up. Its a friggin guitar, not a trip to the moon.

Ive finished 5 at this point, though perhaps not to your exacting standards. Just tring to avoid spending $20 + shipping on stewmac.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

15. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Just trying to help you get good results - sorry if you don't care. Many actually DO appreciate knowing this stuff, so don't bother and let others use the info if they want.

It's not a matter of lightening up - it's technical information, not Comedy Central.

16. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Its not the information, its the delivery.

The tone of scolding superiority rubbed me the wrong way. Ive seen people get gorgeous results with rattle cans of deft.

Just like most other things with guitars, there are a lot of ways to skin this particular cat. Sounds like youve found some strategies/approaches that work well for you. Thats great, but you might want to allow for the possibility that alternate approaches exist that also deliver good results. Humility is a virtue.

There are many on this website who do a great job of that.

eallen, R. Stratenstein and dsutton24 like this.

17. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I have had very good results with Minwax Spray Gloss and Satin Lacquer.

I have not used Behlens spray lacquers, but I have shot their Stringed Instrument Lacquer out of Prevals and Spray guns, and have used other Behlen's products, notably Blush Eraser (a must down here in Georgia in the summer), and have always gotten very good results with their products, so based on that, I would not hesitate to use their spray lacquers.

BTW, interesting that this ignorant non-chemist finds that LACQUER THINNER seems to work perfectly with all the above mentioned products, so they mustn't be too much removed from lacquer. Just sayin'.

TelZilla likes this.

18. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    The ones you mention in that post are solvent-based lacquers. Not sure what your point is.

Other than with water-based lacquers, most plural-component/catalyzed types and other "exotics" lacquer thinner should work. Variables are in specialty lacquer thinners - faster types and "retarder" - but those are used differently, usually to help overcome certain temperature situations.

Nothing was intended as "scolding" - could be in the interpretation, not the writing. That happens sometimes when folks read things they don't particularly want to hear. Interesting how "delivery" is criticized in public though. Might need a new mirror.:D (don't get bent out of shape - I'm trying to lighten the mood...)

By way of explanation - Deft's lacquer products have been discussed here for years and many finishers - experienced and amateur - post cautions about the products due to uniquely slow dry times. Results have historically been less consistent with them as well, partially due to impatience on the part of applicators. It's absolutely possible to get a great finish with Deft products, but it is more time consuming and often more difficult. Hence the cautions.

19. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    If you want info, there it is. My default is to listen when Silverface talks about finishing. He knows a lot more than I do and shares it.

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.