Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Deegatron Builds an Abomination

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Deegatron, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Alright, almost done. about 5 coats of gloss on here and leveled to 400 grit. looking a bit more "rustic" than I was expecting...
    Just one coat of "satin" for both the neck and body is left and then I can wait for a bit and then assemble.
    Quick little mockup to see what things will look like once assembled...
    Supposed to be nice this weekend so hoping to get that coat on....
    20180509_204257.jpg

What I really like about waterbased poly. it's absolutely clear. no yellowing whatsoever.
    What I don't like, the kind I'm using needs an hour between coats and I only have about an hour per night to work so only 1 coat per night... it's been exhausting to get enough coats on there....
    Next time I'm buying the EM6000

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta

3. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    I may just need to try that... yes... indeed.... I think the next one's going to have a tung oil finish but I'll keep this in mind for my next build after that.
    how long do you find this stuff lasts? I've heard all water based products have a shelf life of about 1 year and I think that's been causing me issues with my current build (I'm using and old can)

4. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I buy it by the quart so it doesn't hang around very long. I just sprayed with lacquer from last fall and it was fine. I keep it in a warm place over winter. I would think any lacquer would have a limited shelf life. Where are you located?

5. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    This is a term I have not used, but needed. i.e. my Kramer Pacer Deluxe that doesn't have any electronics or pickguard at the moment. Gonna use it in conversation from here on out.

6. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Your probably right... I'm in Edmonton Alberta so it gets cold as balls here but I've got a heated garage so I would expect it should be fine. coldest it would ever get is 10 deg C.

7. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2003
    Virginia
    You use that Varithane stuff on guitars? How is it?

8. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I'm 3 hours south of you and it's been a hard one this year. I want El Nino back where I can be in the garage in February!! Mine is not heated.

9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Judge for yourself

CD1466.JPG CD1479.JPG

Then again I DID apply it a in an unconventional manner lol

10. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2003
    Virginia
    It looks great! How is the application and sanding and all that?

11. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not sure if it's dust nibs or the spray gun is spitting or if it's because the can is old or what the issue is but whenever I spray the stuff I get little bumps everywhere. I'm fairly certain that the gun is setup right as it will be smooth as glass between all the little bumps.
    the other issue I find is that it's hard to put on a wet coat without causing runs. too thin and it goes on all pebbly... there is a sweet spot, and then it starts running hard...
    the sweet spot is very small... but maybe that's my inexperience spraying.... I dunno....
    All in all I've not had much luck with the varathane... also, I find it's not as hard as it says its supposed to be. can easily dent with my fingernail after it's fully cured.

12. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I poured it on as they do with butcher blocks.It was for the 2012 Build Challenge but I did not finish on time, though I did finish the thread and the guitar

Barncaster likes this.

13. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Nearly complete, just finished cavity shielding and pressing in the string ferrules. wont be long now....
    20180524_205719.jpg

7he Doc7or likes this.

14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I used Varathane on my first Tele build in 1989 and it's still soft.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.