Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Deegatron Builds an Abomination

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Deegatron, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    If your a classic telecaster purist... turn back now... for your own sake... just turn and run....

Lately I've been playing my little guy's short scale mini Spiderman guitar. Its got about a 23" scale length and it's a lot of fun to noodle on and play crazy bends cuz it doesn't hurt my old fingers. As a result I've decided I need to build myself a "man sized" short scale noodle guitar to keep by the couch and what not. Seems like a good excuse to learn some blues... In classic fashion I've decided to take on a bunch of options I've never done before. specs are below.

chambered Alder body - had a couple blanks left over from another build. just a hair under 1-5/8" thickness. Telecaster / blackmachine / abomination body style. LOL...
    Tummy cut and forearm contour
    1 pc roasted maple neck. 2 way spoke wheel truss rod (cant say I've ever seen a 1 pc neck with a 2 way rod in it before... I feel like I'm treading new experimental ground here)
    24-5/8" scale
    16" radius - for bending like crazy. and it's the only radius I'm really properly setup for. I am after all a metal guy at heart....
    Reverse headstock
    small black offset dot inlays.
    Wenge skunk stripe
    Stewmac Alnico II bridge & neck pickups. i'll need to work out a custom stagger as the kit is too staggered for a 16" radius
    black hardware

20180201_205203.jpg 20180201_205229.jpg 20180201_205240.jpg 20180201_205307.jpg

Tommy Biggs, ftbtx, paulmarr and 3 others like this.

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I did a 24 and a half inch scale on a Swinger body that was damn near perfect, you go guy

Deegatron likes this.

3. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    20180203_203948.jpg 20180203_203952.jpg I managed to get the pickup magnets and flatwork sorted this weekend. was installing slatboard behind my work area so I wasn't able to get anything else worked out.
    about an hour of sanding on the alnico to reduce the stagger (as I plan to use a 16" FB radius)... worked like a charm.... just took a really really long time.

paulmarr likes this.

4. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu

Im digging this idea, I too have been imagining a mini noodle guitar after playing a kids size Strat at the store.
    Short scale twangy fun I tell you!

5. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Not gonna lie... not entirely my idea... I've seen a build or two centered around this exact concept lately. seems like the kind of guitar that everyone should own at least one of....

Danjabellza likes this.

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Why did you reduce the stagger on the magnets? I've never seen that done before and seems odd to be honest.

7. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    The stagger on the stewmac kit is setup for a vintage fretboard radius of 7-1/2" to 10" or so. I'm using a much flatter fretboard radius so the vintage stagger would leave me with a major mismatch. My D and G strings would be VERY loud compared to the others. I reduced the stagger alleviate this problem...

8. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    If the end result keeps what the beginning promises that's going to be very cool :)

9. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    super slow progress on this one. had some repairs come in for a buddy and then bought some garage cabinets (FINALLY) so that sucked up a hoard of time. either way, I've got those off the bench so it's back to the build.
    Did manage to get the skunk stripe taken care of. had some walnut laying around so decided to use that. screwed up on the long thin one no less than twice before I got the thickness perfect. was of course all for naught as there was a tiny bit of chippout on the side of the trussrod slot so it looks like I have a gap... hopefully this comes out when I carve the neck.... might need to go a hair thinner than originally planned... this "roasted" maple is unbelievably chippy... I also got a crack in a thin section of the neck that I had to titebond and clamp as well... Im a little scared to carve this sucker.... I don't remember having issues like this with the other 1/2 of the board.
    20180218_212742.jpg
    Working on my neck pocket and pickup pocket routing templates now while waiting for the final parts to arrive (including the bridge)

More updates soon....

10. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Managed to get sidetracked with a hoard of repair work for a buddy and his bassist that were going into the studio. got er all hammered out and now I'm back on the Abomination war path!

go the top registered with some wood dowels and prep'd for glue up. first try the pins were too loose so I had to try again.
    20180307_200543.jpg
    Then built myself a set of those fancy top glue up clamps. these things work great. was really happy with them. I had 1 spot that didn't have proper squeeze out but I suspect that was more of an issue with an uneven joint or lack of glue... because there was plenty of clamping pressure.
    20180307_201650.jpg
    I tried to use an extra clamp to close up the area with no squeeze out... but no such luck....

I guess the proof is in the pudding.... so we'll see how the joint looks tonight when I take her apart... and see how the joint looks once I start cutting the neck pocket and pickup cavities... Im fairly confident the clamps did a good job so all should be good... I think I need 1 more of them tho....

11. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    I like your computer printed "fretboard" glued on the neck. On your third picture (first post) it looks like you have sawed fret slots down through the lines. Cool! I'm too chicken to cut my own slots.
    You do realize that you'll have to share this guitar with your kid, right?
    I knew my son was going to be a musician when he was five years old and kept taking my Miles Davis CDs into his room.

12. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    That's the best way I've found to cut fretslots. the printed fretboard helps me line up the slots 100% with no measuring or guesswork. also marks the inlays EXACTLY where I want them so I don't get crooked inlays or stuff that looks off center. works really well. especially for multiscales.

My son has his own Spiderman themed guitar that I built him a year or so ago. so I aint sharing!!!! he can play his own!

13. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Hammered through the control cavity and neck pocket. couldn't resist a little mockup... so far so good... I was worried I wouldn't have enough body depth for the switch but managed to get away with it. just a hair over 1-1/2" thickness... neck pocket is very tight and lifts the body with ease... so all is well...
    Next step is to line up the bridge and drill some and do the pickup cavities.
    20180314_203939.jpg

14. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Locked up the pickup routes last night. everything seems to be coming together rather nicely. just need to do the input jack, drill the bridge holes and do the body contours.... oh, and the round over... wont be long now.....
    20180315_204436.jpg

15. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Took a break from the body for a bit. got the fretboard radius knocked out.
    Setup 2 boards to guide the radius block so I don't twist it.
    20180317_135515.jpg
    After that I went over everything with a 2' machined level to make sure everything was 100% flat. done and done...
    20180318_202506.jpg
    Man that roasted maple is starting to look perdy.....

SweetClyde99 likes this.

16. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Knocked out the remaining woodworking items on the body over the last few days.
    Drilled the jack hole / cut the belly, thigh, arm and heel contours / drilled the bridge, neck ferrule and string through holes / routed the round overs
    Everything is complete and ready for final sanding before finishing. As you can imagine I'm rather pleased with myself... LOL...
    20180325_194953.jpg 20180325_195005.jpg 20180325_195014.jpg 20180325_195026.jpg
    Next up is to deepen the fretslots and finish the radius. then carve the neck.... almost there....

Lou G likes this.

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Nice work , she's a beauty , you should be proud!

keep us posted!

18. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Pressed in some frets last night.
    Started by setting up the drill press with my homebrew fret press contraption
    20180327_210138.jpg
    and of course immediately got to the pressing... before taking any pictures....
    Notice the 2x2 wedged under the drillpress table. this is placed under the table and then the table is lowered down to wedge it in. helps support the table (which needs it). I've seen a guy literally split the casting once and a lot of guy's complain about the springiness... this completely nullifies both problems... and cost me nothing as I had the lumber sitting around. frets now go in with a satisfying ca-chunk... well... most of the time....
    after each fret I check with a piece of paper to see if I can slide it under...
    20180327_210637.jpg
    paper will not slide under fully seated frets... found more than one that needed a bit more work to seat completely....
    20180327_212546.jpg

all done... all in all, not bad... only a couple spots that need some leveling... but that will have to wait until after I carve the neck...

Until next time....

Attached Files:

Zepfan and SweetClyde99 like this.

19. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Finally got everything all buttoned up and sanded smooth....
    Stained the body black and now ready for finish.
    20180422_203144.jpg 20180422_203149.jpg 20180422_203154.jpg 20180422_203207.jpg
    I've got my brand new HVLP gun all ready but I'm deathly afraid to use it. my dad bought me a really nice one for my B-day last year and I'm afraid of wrecking it by not cleaning it properly or something... LOL... so just gotta get over that and get er done...

Barncaster, mrz80 and Zepfan like this.

20. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    I luv looking at mini guitars and mini skirts

I spend longer cleaning my gun than spraying with it

Break out that new gun
    And just do it. (And post a pic)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.