Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Decided to restore my first real guitar ( lawsuit era bolt on LP copy)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rscalzi, Apr 24, 2018.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

2. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    How would you describe the difference? And as a follow up, what would going to .022 caps do to the "dirtier" sound?
    I ask because I don't know :)

3. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    Smaller value caps change (raise) the "cut off frequency". Frequencies above this value will be cut.

The pickup will be brighter when tone is completely rolled off.

rscalzi likes this.

4. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

As a general rule I use 500 meg pots and .022 caps as the starting point for the V/T controls on a guitar with new humbucking pickups. As a gross generalization, humbuckers tend to me middier than say Fender style single coils which tend to be very trebly.

As to how it will affect the dirtier sound, the higher frequencies will be more pronounced with the .022 caps. I think you’ll like it a lot.
    Rob

rscalzi likes this.

5. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    i think you did a great job reviving the guitar as is, not respraying the body etc.
    its looking great!

rscalzi likes this.

6. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Hmmm, easy enough to try that. I may give that a go. I have to go in and touch up a couple spots in the wiring i was not real happy with.
    Might just swap the cap while I'm in there.

7. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I have been very happy with the Orange drop capacitors from StewMac.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I've always used 500k pots and .022 caps(cheap green polyfilm from Radioshack) on HB's and some single coils.

9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Rob answered that question better than I ever could.I guess my first experience with humbuckers in the 70s playing lead in a Bread cover band colors my opinions still.My Aria Les Paul clone did a superb job on the clear cleans required.Was actually years later I played it through a pedal and was thrown for a major loop thinking, I've had this in my hands all this time? LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.