Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Decided to restore my first real guitar ( lawsuit era bolt on LP copy)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rscalzi, Apr 24, 2018.

1. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Yep, I ended up using those PUPS a couple years ago on my daughters guitar, and they don't sound bad at all.

2. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Not exactly sure of the weight, but I can tell you it weighs MUCH less that the LP I made a couple years back.
    That's part of the reason I looked into fixing it up. Something a little easier on the shoulders and back :)

3. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    Strange, the video is labeled "Magic Sam" but the guitar says "Earl Hooker" on it. Anyone know the story there?

4. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Just a quick updated. Buffing up is coming along nicely, I'll post pics when I get to a good stopping point.

Deciding on what parts I have and what I needed to order. Gonna have to be new pups as I don't want to yank the originals off the tele I made my daughter. Looking for something to give me more "variety" of sounds.
    Right now I tend to use my SG, LP, Tele and Gretsch the most. Any suggestions would be welcome.

5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Sam didn’t have a guitar with him that night and borrowed Earl’s.

RogerC likes this.

6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    black_kpp17_thumbnail.jpg chrome_kph147_thumbnail.jpg gold_i116_thumbnail.jpg Gold_KPH133.jpg black_kpp17_thumbnail.jpg chrome_kph147_thumbnail.jpg gold_i116_thumbnail.jpg

These come to mind right off ;)

triplefg likes this.

7. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    crazydave911 likes this.

8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    What I used in my 12 string though I did find an .047 to be the wrong call :rolleyes:

9. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Germany
    So these seem to be the Super 70s PUs, right? I didn't know they were fake humbuckers. Can you elaborate on that a bit? I thought those were actual humbuckers. :eek:

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    With a plywood body, you'll probably need some bright toned pickups. Good GFS pickups for that would be the A5 mini-buckers, Fat Pats, Retrotron Liverpool, Vintage 59, Surf 90 or the Mean 90.

crazydave911 and rscalzi like this.

11. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    I asked about that pickup a year or 2 ago and this is what I got....

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/help-what-is-this-pickup.337940/

One of the posts in that thread shows pics and mine looked identical to that.

Funny that you mentioned the Super 70 PU, because that is what I used to replace the originals 30 years ago.
    Still have the box! :)

20180429_060421.jpg

Barncaster and peeweepete like this.

12. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    The only electric guitar I ever bought new was a CSL (Ibanez) bolt on neck Les Paul. I bought it in 1975 for £50 at a music shop in Sheffield. Because of a scratch on the front it was reduced from £110. The CSL and Kasuga Strat seen in my earlier post were my only guitars until the early 90's when I bought a Gordon Smith GS1, which was a significant step up in sound and playability. The deal was that I had to sell a guitar to buy the GS. The CSL was much easier to sell, I got £150 for it, which was not much less than a new Epiphone at the time. Other than the original scratch on the front, there was hardly a mark on it, the frets were great and action low. The B string would stick in the nut when tuning, which at the time I dealt with by lubricating with pencil lead. It was the heaviest guitar I have owned. I sold it to the then bassist in my band, and played it again a couple of years ago, it has a new nut now and is still a nice guitar.

13. Barncaster

A single coil LP is a beautiful thing.

peeweepete, triplefg and crazydave911 like this.

14. Barncaster

I think you should repossess the original pups from your daughter and see how long it takes her to notice.....

peeweepete likes this.

15. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Right now, I don't think she would notice probably until high school ends and she might start tinkering with it again.

16. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Ordered up some parts that I should get by the end of the week. Decided to give those GFS RetroTron Nashville pups a try. If they don't work out, I'll probably throw together another tele to slap them into. Will be getting all new pots and a new bridge. With any luck it will turn into something a can use in the rotation.

I basically ended up fixing a few of the worst "chips"/scratches and buffed it up, but it definitely still shows its age :)

I'll post some pics when I get the parts and have it put back together.

17. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    So I got my parts and will start putting this things back together.
    Debating if I want to replace the nut. I think I will, but maybe not until I try it will the old one first.

Before I can do it, I want to re drill the post holes for the tail piece. The original holes were tilted as you can see.

20180506_084031.jpg

The pickups look pretty good ...

20180506_085106.jpg

Some parts....

20180506_085012.jpg

18. Barncaster

Looking good! Would love to hear it when you’re done.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

For those that haven't seen this guitar body construction before, the tops are often laminated ply that was pressed into a form and blocking with a lot of gaps inside like these pictures show. While looking like a regular LP on the outside, inside they are more like a hollow body guitar but without the F-holes.

Fun pickup choice. Try raising the neck side neck pickup bobbin screws in a Strat Stagger pattern along with keeping the whole pickup lower and play cleans - one of the things I do lately to regular humbuckers. Not sure if that will improve or not this model pickup but may be an experiment to try, completely reversible.

See if you have any black reflector top or black hat shaped knobs in your parts drawer to try out.

Are those push/pull tone pots? Alright! Circuit Shenanigans Ahead :cool: !

ModerneGuy and naneek like this.

20. PAcaster

PAcaster Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2011
    Scranton, PA
    Hope you show some detail on the post hole redrill process!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.