Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Decided to restore my first real guitar ( lawsuit era bolt on LP copy)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rscalzi, Apr 24, 2018.

1. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Have not had the itch to build anything from scratch in a year or so. With no challenge happening anytime soon to possibly give me the push, I decide to give my first "real" guitar a make over.

Got this thing in high school back 1979ish from another guy for like $80 (probably overpaid :) )

It has and F on the head stock and if I recall, the pick guard ( that I lost ) said Freedom on it.

The neck plate says made in Japan. At any rate it was the first semi-decent guitar I owned so it has
    some sentimental value to me.

Thinking I will strip it down, refinish it and replace the hardware and pickups and nut. The neck always felt nice so who knows, maybe it will turn into a player (or maybe not :) ). No rush to finish this so follow along if you'd like.

20180424_194835.jpg

20180424_200955.jpg 20180424_200941.jpg

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    That actually looks like a pretty good platform to start from.

3. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice, my first electric was a bolt neck Ibanez LP. I’ll be interested to see what the construction of the body is. Looks like a bent plywood top, probably on a multi piece body. Will you refinish in black or see what you find and make a decision from there? All the best with it regardless. Cheers

4. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    looking at the pictures i wood polish the top and refinish the back.
    on the other hand, why not polish both first to see what you get, it has it age, and that is something you don't have to hide, you could cherish that.
    new electronics, some donlis pickups and you are good to go ;-)

Rock-Ola, Minimalist518 and preactor like this.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

It would be good to see another thread from your shop, Rick.
    Agree with hoptybob , it looks good enough, at least from the photos, to just buff up, let it wear its scars with pride of the old war-axe that it is. Maybe a serious fret job , neck reset, and setup, if it doesn’t play well, and some good electronics, and your ole girl is ready to rock.

6. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Yep, I think the fact that it sat around "unused" for 30 years helped. :lol:

You are correct, bent plywood top on a plywood body.

You guys could be correct. A good buff might be all it needs. It does have 1 spot on the cutaway you can't see that has a nasty chip down to the wood. Kind of playing it by ear based on what I find. Frets are actually ok because I never really played it all that much back in the day.(Think I've played more guitar in the last 2 years than the previous 25 ) Will be fun see how it stacks up once it has decent hardware/pickups and a real setup. Back then, I had no clue what a setup was, much less the the confidence to replace parts.

Minimalist518 likes this.

7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Clean it up, give it a set up, and see what it needs. Might be enough, then again you may need a new nut, tuners, pickups or electrics, but I would not be looking to re-finish. It seems to have aged nicely, don't risk spoiling it unless you want to learn to refinish.

8. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2009
    gainesville, ga
    Clean her up, set her up and play her. At least you will know if the guitar is worth your time, effort, $$$ in restoring.

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Many amazing things can be done on a black bolt-on neck LP.

10. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Whoa, this makes me wanna finish up that Elpee body James fixed for me!

Barncaster likes this.

11. triplefg

triplefg TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Grande Prairie, AB
    I'm also going to caution you not to strip that one down - that one wants to be cleaned up, get new pickups and tuners and be played. I destroyed a few of my early guitars in the learning process, and regret it now.

Rock-Ola, 3-Chord-Genius and rscalzi like this.

12. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    LOL me, neither, other than twiddling with the screws on the bridge, and adjusting the pickup screws, I didn’t know a guitar could be set up. A buddy had mucked up his ES335 playing around with the truss rod nut,:eek: so I wasn’t about to go there!, (probably a good thing, too! For mr anyway :p)

13. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Awesome, I like your threads. Can we see the routing and cavities in that body, it looks different than a standard LP (well obviously but...)

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

That was the point Rick

Need pickups?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018

15. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Now that is some seriously good stuff!

16. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    I'll see if I can get some close ups that are not to blurry.

17. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2010
    Macomb MI
    Yea, I think you guys have convinced me that a few touch ups, a buff job, new parts and a setup is the way to go.
    If I strip it down and refinish, it might look good, but it would lose something in the process. Mojo isn't the right word, but you know what I mean.

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    It seems like at least 95% of them are Les Paul Custom copies, hardly any Standards or dot necks.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I destroyed a black MIA stratocaster stripping it down and re-finishing it. Most moronic thing I ever did.

triplefg likes this.

20. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Germany

I agree with Rick on this one. Save yourself the trouble of a refinish. Looks good as is!

Just like my '73 Ibanez Les Paul Custom 2350:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.