Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Decent price on a new Les Paul 2017 Tribute T

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Gmountain, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    gwjensen likes this.

2. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    Highly recommended. I play mine a lot more than I thought I would. Immediately swapped out the silver-insert knobs, put a blank truss rod plate and creme switch ring in. Perfect setup out of the box, and much cheaper than LP Standards. I'd rather put my money elsewhere.
    IMG_0948.JPG

Zepfan, gwjensen and Piggy Stu like this.

3. tigger

tigger TDPRI Member

I added faux binding to mine and put a layer of glossy lacquer on the front and the neck. Sub-8 pound Les Paul? I can live with that!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I got one for right around that price this summer. I don't regret it at all.

5. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What is (faux) about the binding? Looks like it's nicely bound in maple. Gotta say it's a sweet looking Lester, what's the top finish called?

6. mowgli5555

mowgli5555 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Utah, USA
    Nice... It looks as if it was scraped by hand with a blade, then cleared. I like it, and sort of wish Gibson did that. Josh

tigger likes this.

7. tigger

tigger TDPRI Member

Exposed maple is called faux binding by many, it's not a derogatory term as far as I know. As Mowgli says it's not a separate strip of maple but just sanded off edge of the maple top. (I didn't scrape it, that didn't seem to work as well). The finish is honey sunburst, it's the other finish Tributes come in.

Piggy Stu likes this.

8. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    The Gold Top has the same thing out of the box, but only visible from the side. Neat look and I like what you did to that burst! If they'd had one in store when I was buying, I probably would have went that route.

IMG_4407.JPG

9. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    I was going to mention the same thing. You can't see it in my above photo, but there is faux binding on the Gold Top, and natural (not painted black) mahogany on the back. It's a great bargain...USA made Les Paul at Chinese prices.

gwjensen likes this.

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Other than a slight lowering of the bridge I haven't touched mine. Nut was cut well, frets seem level, etc. Very playable. The nut is on the wider side and (to me) the neck is pretty substantial in size.

Mine is (guessing) probably right around 8lbs, even with only the 9 hole relief.

I personally wanted lower output A2 pickups and I'm cheap, so it seemed to be a great match.

11. Gmountain

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    Seeing those pictures is making me excited to get mine!

12. Gmountain

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    It arrived today. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the guitar looks absolutely stunning. The gold is much nicer than I expected.

tigger likes this.

13. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Jump on it!

I think they go to $1100 retail for 2018, so now's the time to buy. Great guitars IMO, used to have it's cousin the "LPJ" that was all mahogany, one of the best I've had out of Studios, Standards, & Historics, no brainer.

14. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Hard to imagine more "bang fer yer bucks" than the Tribute LPs. Recently traded some gear for 2010 50s Ebony and 2017 60s Honeyburst and they have become my favs. My Teles are seriously getting jealous. And dusty.

And kinda hard for me to imagine how Gibson can offer (usually) such quality "lower end" MIA guitars for <$1k. Wish they came with cases but... gotta complain about something, right?

Congrats @Gmountain! Looking forward to the obligatory NGD pix. Or this never happened.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.