Dearmond To Fit P90 Dogear Route

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ndeli55, Mar 20, 2016.

1. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

do any of you all know of a dearmond style pickup built inside of a p90 dogear enclosure? I wouldn't be opposed to building or having y'all build one.

2. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

TV Jones has one.

http://tvjones.com/wp/tv-jones-t-armond-pickup-is-here

I've thought about doing one. I have access to a 3d printer where I could make the bobbins. It'd also take custom length slugs for the poles, and I'd have to figure out a link between the poles and threaded rod. A lot of stuff to fabricate.

3. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

4. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

The DeArmonds are very special critters. It's what's under the hood that counts. The originals have a painted ferrous metal baseplate. To that was glued a polymer magnet and glued to that a very thin reinforced plastic top. Sounds basic but it's not. This is all wrapped with 45AWG wire and then the pretty covers were hollow-riveted on. Harry DeArmond did a great job on this basic pup. A lot of folks are capitalizing on the look but I'm not so sure all the modern offerings are true to form. YMMV.
    Rob

guitarbuilder likes this.
  5. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

You are undoubtedly correct, Rob.
    Marc's text (at Mojo) with that pic was :
    "P90 sized Gold Foils sample covers have arrived, available soon, made to vintage DeArmond / Rowe spec's".
    I guess it's caveat emptor on what "made to DeArmond/Rowe spec's" means.
    Altho I believe Marc would specify what it means, if asked.

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

All the materials to make them are still available including the polymer magnets which saturate at the exact vintage levels. The only issue I have with Harry's design was the lead to coil attachment methods were overly complicated and they needed to be wax potted. The deaders I've disassembled were not wax potted but some may have been. My sample size is naturally small. You also might argue that the 45 AWG is really hard to see but there is no arguing with the sonic results, especially with a little gain. They are the Honey Badgers of the pickup world. :)
    Rob

7. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

thanks all. I definitely don't want the fancy covers over standard pickups thing, and I don't have a pickup to work from. I am still yet inexperienced in the way of pickup winding but I am very interested. Just to be clear, these are the style I'm after, I've always understood them to be dearmonds.

tash_1_body.jpg

and it would go into a sorento neck position set up similiarly to the eddy cochron signature guitar, but now that I look at it it appears to by a dynasonic pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.