Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Deaf Eddie's 5 way problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by PJb4, Sep 11, 2017.

1. PJb4

PJb4 Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    Hello everybody,

I have a problem with this wiring
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_untitled.png

Everything works but if I solder the bridge ground on the vol pot the neck is silent in every position and if I don't solder it the 1 2 3 position are really noisy ( the classic noise of a non shielded bridge: Hum, string noise etc ).

I really don't know what to do.

2. PJb4

PJb4 Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    No one here?

@Asmith You have any clue?

3. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    `That top rightmost terminal on the switch, is it grounded to the back of the volume control? What pickups are you using? A picture of your wiring would help.

4. PJb4

PJb4 Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    Yes The green wire is grounded to the back of the volume.

I'm using a Fender CS Twisted tele in the bridge and a GFS Goldfoil humbucker version in the neck

5. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    Just a guess but would cutting the link from the eyelet to the bridge pickup baseplate and soldering a separate ground to the baseplate help?

6. PJb4

PJb4 Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    Like the 4 way mod on the neck pickup? I dunno...

7. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Maybe I'm not understanding you, but why wouldn't you want your bridge ground connected to the same point as your volume pot. All your pot cases, switches, bridge, pickups, jack, etc. should be grounded to the same point, electrically speaking.

8. PJb4

PJb4 Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    I want to solder on the vol pot but If I do it the neck well become silent!

9. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    You shouldn't solder the black wire from the bridge pickup to the back of the volume pot, you're on the right track with the 4 way mod to the neck pickup but on the bridge pickup. Clip the wire that goes to the base plate and run a new wire from the base plate to the back of a pot instead.

10. PJb4

PJb4 Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2016
    Italy
    The 4 way mod was the answer! Everything works perfect now, I've also added a mini switch to go from modern to 50 wiring!

WP_20170913_20_38_36_Rich.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.