Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Deadheads stand up and be counted!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Chip, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Got tix for Columbus, Nov. 25

Anyone else get tickets yet?

-Hawk- likes this.

2. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    MSG on Tuesday.

-Hawk- likes this.

3. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Take a look at this painting my daughter did! She painted it for my birthday today.

IMG_3103.JPG

4. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

WOW! That's awesome! Happy Birthday!

Chip likes this.

5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    That's not only well done, but very thoughtful of her too. Congrats on having a cool daughter, Chip

Chip likes this.

6. Walker

Walker Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2007
    CT
    That is some great work!

Chip likes this.

7. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    On the bus for 30 years or so, and I've been in a full Dead cover band for a long time. That said, some fatigue is setting in. I don't know how Phil and especially Bob aren't driving themselves nuts covering the same old songs. Ratdog produced some new stuff, but Further and Dead and Company didn't and haven't. To his credit, I know Bob doesn't play it the same way from decade to decade.

I let my XM subscription lapse, and I'm getting by without the Grateful Dead channel. It was time to explore some other stuff. It's happened before in my life, I went through periods where the Stones, Van Halen, REM took up the majority of my listening, Fatigue set in each time, but the GD has lasted longer than any other. Still listen frequently, just not daily.

My feeling about the members: Jerry was the most talented, fine singer, could touch your soul with note choice, but could be self indulgent with endless solos and playing over top of others. Bob is a fine singer, an innovative rhythm player, frequently lost in the mix during the GD years, sound was ever-changing and sometimes plain old weird in later years, he's still enamored with effects. Phil plays on top of everything, weaves lines into the songs, not a traditional pocket player, not the funkiest bassist in the world. Bill was really good alone, king of the paradiddle, but later years leave me kind of flat, just not as interesting. Mickey does his counterpoint to the straight drumming of Bill, it's got it's own flavor. As for the keyboardist, Pigpen was primarily a good singer. Keith was a great pianist, probably my favorite rock and roll pianist short of Johnny Johnson or Nicky Hopkins. Brent was as an excellent organist, could drive a song hard, his piano tone was kind of plinky at times, not as good as Keith on that instrument, but his vocals put him above the others. Vince was no Brent and never seemed to play a prominent role in the band.

Marc Muller likes this.

8. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Poor Vince. He wasn't even invited for any reunions. Broke his heart, I think.

9. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Happy 70th Birthday, Bobby!

Ex-riverman likes this.

10. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    And John Mayer!

6stringcowboy and Chip like this.

11. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    I was wondering if someone would post that back. It didn't take long!

Only 30 years between them, so Bobby was John's age now the day John was born.

Can't wait to see them in a few weeks!

6stringcowboy likes this.

12. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    I'm in Columbus, waiting for the boys to hit the stage!

IMG_3212.JPG

So anybody have a review of the shows so far?

Blue Bill and -Hawk- like this.

13. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    WOW, what a show!
    If anyone out there is on the fence about seeing this band - for the love of GOD - GO!!!!

14. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Ok,well thanks for sharing.I have to say I disagree with you on most of these points. As for the song choices,that's their book.How many bands have these great songs in their repertoire?

15. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    I'm not on the fence when it comes to this band.I'm glad you are enjoying it.
    I enjoyed Phil when he came to DC.That's more my jam.

16. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Saw Dead in Dallas last Friday and I was very impressed. Apart from the talkers (what the hell are they talking about? Listen and dance!) and the guy that wrapped his arms around me to do his air guitar (that was awkward - he was the crazy drunk party clown for my section), I had a fantastic time. Great songs and fantastic jams. Mayer is very tasteful with his contributions and brings some major shine to songs. They let him step out and just solo on his own but the rest of the time he is focused on the collective improv. What I came away with (which is obvious, in a way) is that this is Bob's band. He leads. The jams made me think of Rat Dog kinda. It's different than when Jerry is leading most of the time. I don't know - I'm trying to put my finger on it. Chimenti and Oteil are amazing. Oteil has a great voice that fits the GD vibe. Mayer stands out when he sings - his weakness. The chemistry between Weir and Chimenti is key to the dynamic I like. Drums was great and concise but otherwise the drummers didn't seem to dig in that much until the end. Casey Jones was a house rocker.
    It was great to see all the fun Deadheads I haven't seen for so long (this was my first show with more than one GD member since 1996).

Chip likes this.

17. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Apparently they have cancelled the rest of the tour. They'll try and make up the dates in the future.

Poor JohnBoy! I hope he feels better soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.