Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Deadheads stand up and be counted!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Chip, Jul 31, 2010.

1. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Been to Wrigley many times, but this is very different. Unique smells and unique people everywhere you go.

Flat6Driver likes this.

2. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    The whole Dead scene often used to be referred to as "a religion without beliefs". So if your worship services are like a Dead show without the acid, the Dead were like a worship service but without God. I mean, some people looked at Jerry with a bit of god-like reverence, but I don't think he was ever really elevated above the rank of maybe a prophet...

Those big Dead gatherings, particularly before the scene got crazy in the last couple of years Jerry was among us, did have a bit of the same type of ritual and celebration you'd often find among religious gatherings.

-Ray

3. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    I need pics, Hawk!

Ha Ha, have fun and don't put on to much patchouli oil !

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Pre-show! 5 minutes to start time!

IMG_4287.JPG
    IMG_4291.JPG
    IMG_4298.JPG

Chip likes this.

5. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    I'm getting that feeling I used to get right before a show, vicariously through you of course.

Whooooohoo, some fun awaits!

Chip likes this.

6. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Oooh, upper deck just past third. Nice seats for a ballgame!

-Hawk- likes this.

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Only saw them once in the summer of '78.
    Great show.

8. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Nailed it. Good call!

9. 6stringcowboy

Set I
    Cold Rain and Snow jm
    Jack Straw jm
    Tennessee Jed bw
    Ship Of Fools jm ob
    Dark Star v2 bw *>
    Friend Of The Devil bw *
    Althea jm
    Casey Jones bw jm

Set II
    Sugar Magnolia bw >
    Dancing In The Streets bw >
    Playing In The Band bw >
    Comes A Time ob >
    Scarlet Begonias bw>
    Fire On The Mountain ob >
    Drums/Space >
    The Other One bw >
    Days Between bw >
    Not Fade Away bw jm

Encore : Brokedown Palace bw jm >
    Sunshine Daydream

*acoustic

-Hawk- likes this.

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Yea I've sat up there for a game a couple times as well! Not a bad spot for the show either, since it gave a full view of the stage. Sound was loud enough, if not a little undefined I guess. Hard to get excellent acoustics in a ball park I suppose. Really nice atmosphere though.

As for the show, it was great. First set kind of limped in, but the second half was really strong. Second set was spectacular. NFA to close and then the encore. Good times!

Chip and 6stringcowboy like this.

11. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    The Music Never Stopped!
    IMG_2581.JPG
    Back to Blossom Music Center!

Tonight the Cleveland Orchestra playing Gershwin & Tchaikovsky.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    -Hawk- likes this.

12. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Now that I'm back in town I can comment a little more on the 7/1 show.

First of all, Wrigleyville was packed! We stayed about a 1/2 mile away and walked up and it was cool to see the streets full of freaky people. Stopped in the Cubby Bear for a quick drink and then walked the blocks around the ballpark. They set up a little Shakedown area in a parking lot and along Waveland. Lots of cool stuff on display, but it was hard to move around in the sea of people. Sheffield is now renamed "Nitrous Alley" in my book. Wsssssssssssssshhhhh! Honestly, it was kind of a dark scene there and I couldn't move on quick enough.

The new park off Clark street had a band playing and there must have been 5,000 people watching. Really cool.

As expected, the official posters were gone before we got in (1 hour before show time), which was disappointing. The improvements to Wrigley have really made the experience there better. It's just the little things like getting food, going to the bathroom, and walking around that make a big difference. Our seats in 411 were solid in that we had a clear view of the stage and were on the end of an aisle. Our neighbors were all friendly and fun to be around too - only a few "sitters" and no talkers. One HIGHLY underrated thing about the Wrigley concert experience is beer vendors that come to you. Not having to leave your seats for a drink is excellent! The downside is that the sound, while loud enough, isn't on par with a place like Alpine. It wasn't bad though.

As for the show itself, here we go:

CR&S is always a great opener, though maybe a little out of place in July lol. Got us up though. Teased a little Truckin at the beginning, so I was surprised.

Energy sort of dissipated during the next three, though the crowd was excited to hear Oteil sing Ship of Fools.

The acoustic Dark Star and FotD was great. Even better on the re-listen. Althea was good and I consider it one of D&C's most polished tunes.

The Casey Jones set closer was super! Really cranked up the tempo until the crowd was about to explode. I've heard them do this one before and this was the best one.

Second set was really a masterpiece and probably the most impressive two hours of music I've witnessed in person. Worth a listen if you're a fan.

I really expected a Playin to open the set, so Sugar Mag threw me for a loop (a good one). The Dancin>Playin was just the stuff that dreams are made of (for me). An incredibly funky jam that Mayer three down. Had the whole place going nuts.

Comes a Time - meh. Take it or leave it, but they had to bring it all down to earth eventually. I'm sure some really loved it though.

What surprised me was the band going right into Scarlet>Fire here. Expected the Drums break and instead got another 25 minutes of some excellent material.

For once, I didn't use Space/Drums for a bathroom break. Was very proud of that lol. Coming out into The Other One ramped everything back up and it's one of my favorites.

Now - Days Between. This probably isn't a popular opinion, but I LOVE Bobby singing this song these days. Something about that beard, his eyes, and his intensity that really drive it home for me. It's imperfections just don't matter to me, because the energy is really compelling.

Finally, I got to clap the band away to NFA. Something I've hoped for since I've been watching them. Wrigley in the dark + 40k people clapping and chanting = really freaking cool.

The encore was nice too, but the NFA was sort of the peak for me. However, Bobby's opening line in Brokedown Palace is a special moment worth the price of admission. They put on a big fireworks show to Sunshine Daydream, which was very cool, but maybe unnecessary? Hard to explain. Crowd liked it though. Then the lights came on - booo.

In all, Wrigley was a neat experience, though I'm not sure id call it the best venue. Better than some indoor basketball arena, but not as good as an amphitheater. Still, the show melded two of my favorite things in the world and I got to eat two Chicago dogs at a show. Hard to beat it.

Couple random pics.

Of course I get the Live Nation ad in this pic - ugh!
    IMG_4284.JPG
    IMG_4298.JPG IMG_4306.JPG
    IMG_4310.JPG
    IMG_4315.JPG
    IMG_4316.JPG

13. 6stringcowboy

Thanks for the great review. I agree about the nitrous mafia, always geeks me out a bit. Bonus points for not heading to the bathroom for D&S ! :D. Second set looked epic, I've heard a bit but will have to give the whole show a listen.

14. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Man, I'm all about having a good time, but that's not my thing.

Definitely give it a listen! The Dancing is probably the highlight for me. Makes me want to buy an envelope filter.

6stringcowboy likes this.

15. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    I rarely use one--every two or 3 weeks on a song or two. So I bought the Boss AW3. It's fine for my purposes--funky rhythm stuff. Makes me sound funkier than I am.

But if I were going to use it like Jerry did, I'd want something better. The Tru-Tron 3 is supposedly made by the same guy who made or designed the original Mu-Tron 3 that Jerry used--and to similar or identical specs. They're probably expensive as all get out.

16. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Fall Tour 2017 - Just Announced!

Woo-Hoo!

17. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Saw that. Nothing near me this time, so I'll miss out unfortunately. See that OH is on the list, along with Detroit. You going to try to get to either?

18. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I have spent the past two days tracking down and importing all the songs from "30 Days of Dead" and "31 Days of Dead" from 2010-2016. Such an amazing band.

19. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    We're thinking Detroit or Columbus or maybe both. This is going to be the best Thanksgiving EVER!

20. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    Add me to the list. Saw them about 1972 in the Salt Palace in Salt Lake City. NRPS opened for them, with Buddy Cage on pedal steel. The Dead played for about 4 hours.

Chip likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.