Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Deadheads stand up and be counted!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Chip, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA
    Wow, my dad took me...nowhere. You've provided a wonderful memory for them.

2. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Thanks mud.

I actually had someone walk up to me towards the end of the show and thank me for bringing them. He said it's the only way all of this is going to be passed on. The best part of this was that the guy was stoned sober like me and was there only for the music, just like me.

pondcaster and Electric Mud like this.

3. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Kids look like they're having fun, @Chip!

Back in 2004(?)... My son was around 15. It was the Dead tour with both Warren and Herring, and no Joan Osborne... 2003? Hartford Meadows. We got our tickets through TDSTOO mail order, sending our decorated envelope, waiting hopefully to see what we'd get... The indoor seats are accessed from a point fairly near the stage, at the bottom. Everyone herds in there, and then goes UP to their seats. Well, not us. Guy grabs my arm, looks at the ticket, and directs us DOWN. What? There's only like 20 seats down there, in this little compound right in front of the stage. Blocked off, so no squishing later on... Front row was reserved for this handful of teenage girls with all access passes: 'band family', and they were having a ball, over to the right, in front of Bobby and Mickey, dancing all night long. My son and I were in the second row, right in front of Phil. The rest of the second row, and the whole third row were empty. Then, behind the barrier, the masses :lol:. We were pretty happy, to say the least. They opened with New Potato Caboose, which I hadn't heard live in .... ? Maybe never. Alligator, Hard to Handle... Viola Lee Blues... just a killer retro set.

The whole show, Phil is playing to us. We're like ten feet away, and he's giving me the eye, like "ain't this great!", and smiling at my son, once in a while hooking a riff at him. I keep looking behind me, to see who he's looking at :rolleyes:. Finally at the end of the show, Warren and Bobby are tossing picks into the crowd, and Phil removes his signature red/white/blue tennis wristband and carefully lobs it right to my son.

I never did get the chance to say 'hi', or ask "what's up, why are you being so creepy" :lol::lol:.... I think he was just really glad to see the old bringing the young onto the bus, as it were.

Flat6Driver, 6stringcowboy and Chip like this.

4. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I think it's great that various incarnations of the Grateful Dead are still out there performing, satisfying old fans and creating new ones. Still, I don't have any real desire to see them. It's funny that the era I saw the Dead perform (1985-95) wasn't Jerry's best, and while I saw some clunkers, I also saw some transcendent performances. Mayer is an amazing guitarist, arguably more proficient than Garcia, but I have doubts that he takes the band on a similar journey.

A reminder that the Grateful Dead Meet Up at the Movies is on August 1, and is a show from RFK Stadium, July 12, 1989, which I believe I attended!

Chip, raysachs and moosie like this.

5. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I wasn't there in '89, but I will be this time :D The Meet Ups are great. Not quite a concert (no one spilling beer on your shoes, for example), not quite a movie. Easy parking, close to home. $12.

'Course back in the day Dead tix were $7.50...

Mayer's a good player. Garcia was an artist-philosopher.

Chip likes this.

6. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    There were some good years in there! '87 after he recovered from the coma was good - he was clean and relatively healthy and I think really glad to be there. There were some really good '89 shows. And a lot of good 90-91 shows with Bruce pushing them and folks like Branford and David Murray sitting in. Not much good from 92-95 though - but plenty before that...

-Ray

7. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Wow, I'm totally jealous!

Did anyone see the set list from Wrigley last night?!?!

I really enjoyed the show at Blossom but there were a lot of songs I wished they would have played that my children particularly like. Or played songs that mention flowers since they're at "Blossom".

Here's the list....

First set

Hell in bucket
    Mississippi half step
    Black throated wind
    Row Jimmy
    Big River
    Cassidy
    Big Railroad blues

Second set

China Cat Sunflower
    I know you Rider
    He's gone
    Truckin'
    Drums
    Space
    I need a miracle
    Wharf Rat
    Good lovin'

Encore

Black Muddy River

But at Wrigley - Wow....

First set

The Music Never Stopped
    Bertha
    Me and my Uncle
    Sugaree
    Let it Grow
    Uncle John's Band

Second set

Shakedown Street
    Dark Star
    St. Stephen
    China Doll
    Terrapin Station
    Uncle John's Band
    Drums
    Space
    Standing on the Moon
    Help on the way
    Slipknot
    Franklin's Tower

Encore

Ripple
    U.S. Blues

My son Max is so disappointed! He said we'll just have to go to more shows next tour. Ha Ha

8. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

WOW, that Wrigley second set is killer! I hope it is available somewhere. John boy has been killing it too.

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Tonight's the night. After last night's show I reckon they are going to pull out something crazy. I was glad to see a few songs from last night that would have been repeats for me. I predict a Box of Rain and a long, weird Playin. Hopefully at least.

Heading east in about an hour!

Glad you had a good time with the family, Chip!

pondcaster likes this.

10. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Knock 'em Dead, Hawk!

-Hawk- likes this.

11. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I heard a recording from last summer of D&C doing Standing on the Moon,. My goodness, that was amazing. I just love that song.

Help>Slipnot>Franklins....would have loved to see that. I don't like the keychange in Slipnot (or whatever it is, but that's such a cool suite).

My band does US Blues, they played at JLL as well, I was texting my drummer who was in the 100's (me in the 300s) and asked him to take notes. :)

12. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    Here's what Jerry looked like when I was big into them.
    jerry by steve.jpg

Still keeping the Dead music Alive. My band www.deadonlive.com

13. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Marc, you need a Nudie suit!

Marc Muller likes this.

14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Can I play?

I count myself as sort of a Dead-head, though my credentials are a bit different from most. In college ('71-'75) I was friends with a guy who lived and breathed the Dead. I don't know where he got them, or what shows he'd been to, but he had a reel-to-reel tape deck in his dorm room. Every one of the many times I visited him, he'd put on a tape of a different full Dead concert, then maintain a commentary like a sportscaster: what Jerry or Bobby just did, or how Phil made a face right there, or how this was the best China Cat Sunflower they ever did. I "saw" a lot of live Dead concerts that way.

After college, I saw them three or four times, once at the Oakland Coliseum and the rest at Autzen Stadium in Eugene. I have several of their records, a couple on CD. I'm still very fond of them, and I wouldn't mind seeing Dead and Company, if they came around this way.

Chip likes this.

15. 6stringcowboy

Just heard the Comes A Time from City Field with Oteil doing the vocals and it was really good. Wish I had tix for tonight. All of y'all going have a big time.

Chip likes this.

16. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they close tonight's show with "Brokedown Palace".

6stringcowboy likes this.

17. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Probably so. Though I'd love an Attics of my Life. Tough song to pull off though. They mangled it at FTW.

6stringcowboy likes this.

18. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2009
    Eagle Mills, NY
    I saw the first Mayer show at the Knick and then SPAC last year, but I didn't go to SPAC this year. I think I voiced my opinion about Dead and Co. about 10 pages back (it was positive) so I won't repeat myself.

What I'm most happy about is the legacy of the music. I enjoy checking out the numerous Dead cover bands that play in my area. I bet half the crowd are kids who weren't even before when Jerry died. When I'm at these shows, I often wonder how many places across the country, and perhaps the world, a similar scene is going down.

6stringcowboy and Chip like this.

19. 6stringcowboy

My money's on One More Saturday Night:lol:

20. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    I've been a fan of the Dead since probably 1980 if I had to guess. Saw them three times in the early 80s: St. Paul, Iowa City and Cedar Rapids. Accumulated lots of concert recordings on cassette. Never saw them after that while Jerry was alive, although after I moved to California I found the Grateful Dead hour on radio. For years I boycotted The Dead on purpose, because no Jerry.

Then we went to a Fare Thee Well show in Santa Clara. And got hooked again. Since them I've seen Dead & Co. twice in LA. My wife and I also had tickets to a show in Irvine last summer, but I had to give the tickets away because she was in the hospital.

I have to admit that I actually like Dead & Co. better than the version of "The Grateful Dead" I saw that night in Santa Clara. John Mayer does a fine job, and I think the chemistry is better.

I should also add that I often tell my church's worship team that a worship service should be sort of like a Grateful Dead concert--but without the acid.

Chip likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.