Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Deadheads stand up and be counted!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Chip, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    I know there are a lot of us out there so I thought we should have our own thread.

So who are you? How long have you been a fan? How many shows have you been to?
    Did you write down set list inside matchbook covers?

But please Please PLEASE! If you’re not a fan don’t come in and bash the Grateful Dead or us.
    I don’t need another “how many Deadheads does it take to change a light bulb?” joke.
    If you don’t get “IT” please just move along.

Thanks,
    chip

2. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    Afraid that's some wishful thinking!

I'm a huge GD fan, particularly the Pigpen years, which were well before my time so no shows to speak of for me but countless hours of 'Anthem' & 'aoxomoxoa' on the ol' victrola.

I did visit 710 Ashbury and touched the bannister last time I was in Frisco. I guess that's my road story.

lil scotty and Marlin B like this.

3. casadyrocks

casadyrocks Banned

Jan 1, 2007
    colorado
    Hey Now!!!

After 28 years of seeing them, I'm still at it- off to all three nights of Furthur at Red Rocks.

I was never a rich guy- so I've seen only 85 shows between 82 and 95. After that I've seen Ratdog and Phil and Friends about 20 to 25 times each, and "The Dead' a few times, and now Furthur. Also make it out to the Wavy Gravy parties every other year in CA.

I guess some people are not lucky enough to have something like the experience we have had...It has deeply affected my life in ways far beyond liking a song or something like that...I think it has made me a better person, given me a great appreciation of the United States (would never have gone to Ohio otherwise...) geographically, and expanded my knowlege of traditional American music from a very young age. It made me proud to be an American- much more than the pathetic crap some people claim to be proud of as Americans. I have never abandoned certain values I learned, and try to impart them to younger people now.

Like Oster -I made that pilgrimage to 710 about 11 years ago, but I hopped the railing and got a picture taken quickly.

Unlike most topics that people hate on, I could care less if they hate on the Dead. I feel sorry that they missed something that had limited windows of opportunity to understand, and always think that all of us who got "it" -ultimately have much richer lives because of it. After seeing around 800 or so live shows of all kinds over the past 31 years, I still have not heard anyone produce "the Sound" other than them, including RD,P+F,etc.

Also seems a little strange to consider the 15 years without Garcia date arriving soon. Like a dream we dreamed one afternoon long ago

lil scotty likes this.

4. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Tele-Afflicted

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    Since 74 or 75. Not a lot of shows, maybe 8 or 10. Never got on the bus, but I do get it. Jerry was one on my favorite guitar players, a big influence.

5. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Dec 31, 2008
    PA
    ... not a Dead Head, but sure liked them (was at Englishtown ... had to park miles away)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010

6. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Eighty-something shows. I was in a cover band called Scarlet Fire. It's the only band I've ever made money with.

Still trying to figure out a way to work this T-Wah into our twangy, Western Gothic sound.

bloomz likes this.

7. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    The bus came by and I got on...it totally changed the course of my life and I honestly thing I'm doing what I do because of their vibe and influence.

Love, Peace, and Happiness - yeah, I still believe in that! :cool:

Playing in a Dead cover band these days too! :D

Happy Birthday Jerry!

lil scotty and bloomz like this.

8. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2008
    Virginia
    There have been a couple of Dead appreciation threads recently.

Have always loved 'em.

9. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    My older brother took me to see the Dead in 68' at Springer's Ballroom here in Portland. They didn't quit till 4:00 a.m. and it was my first experience of psychedelic light shows and the whole Dead and hippie thing, (kept wondering what that weird smell was). I was in 7th grade....left quite an impression.

bloomz likes this.

10. Bonneville Bruce

Bonneville Bruce Tele-Holic

Jun 12, 2003
    Caldwell, Idaho
    I've been a fan since 1968. Love me some Dead music.

I only got to see two shows, 1969 at the U. of Utah Student Union, Salt Lake, and 1987(88?) at Park City West, Utah. Both great shows, the different versions of the band were smokin' hot those nights.

I didn't have the time or money to be an official Deadhead, but my mind was with them many times. I have good friends who did the whole scene and lived vicariously through them.

I think all the musicians to work in that band have made significant contributions to modern music. It is senseless to single out Jerry as the dynamo, as they all made it happen, but he always had something to say, musically speaking. I also like his work with other bands and the Dawg. Jerry laid out several careers worth of music, any of which would have established his legacy. Miss him still.

11. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Ive always liked The Dead especially their live gigs.

12. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I was never a huge fan, but they were great live and their shows and their fans were a lot of fun. Saw them in Kansas City, Tempe (or was it Mesa?) twice, and Oakland... not to mention a handful of other shows at which I never made it past the parking lot. But the parking lot could be fun too. ;)

13. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2003
    Harmony, R.I.
    On the bus since 1971. 1st gig - Providence 1973 (with horns!)

14. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    Providence 1982 was my first show after playing in a dead cover band since '77. Morning Dew was like church.... you could hear a pin drop, then the boys proceeded to blow the roof off the place!

15. Telebubba

Telebubba Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2010
    Portland Oregon
    Been a fan since 1970, I forget how many shows (wonder why that is? lol). Not more than 20 or so shows, though. It was definitely a different time, and I think it is difficult for those who weren't "there" to understand it.

16. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Thats when I first saw them too 71 New years Eve at Winterland.

bloomz likes this.

17. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago
    too young to have seen them at their best (I did go to their last show in Chicago--my only show) but I'll always be a fan.

I particularly like mid 70's live dead, at their funkiest and jazziest, IMHO.

bloomz likes this.

18. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    In the summer of 1966 (I think, not positive of the year) I saw the Merry Pranksters' bus as it was parked in a shopping center parking lot in Merritt Island, Florida. All of us kids were totally fascinated with the multicolored phantasm. I later moved back to California, and then Oregon and began seeing the Grateful Dead whenever I got a chance. Many bay area bands when not on national tours still did little west coast tours up and down California, Oregon and Washington, so I got to see many of those bands almost regularly.

Later I moved back to Northern California and got to see them more frequently. I was at the show at the Cow Palace when the band introduced their giant wall of sound, although I am told they used it in at least one previous show. In my recollection, though, the Cow Palace show was supposed to be the big debut for it.

I also saw various of Jerry's offshoot bands, like the Jerry Garcia Band, and Old and In the Way, and saw him with the Merle Saunders Band at a little tiny bar in Willits California called the Stepping Stone. This was a popular place that the bay area bands would get out of town gigs and the only place probably in a sixty mile radius that had big name live music on a regular basis. The club would hold maybe 100 people if everyone stood shoulder to shoulder!

bloomz likes this.

19. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2003
    Harmony, R.I.
    I was a big Santana fan at the time Mark. WGBH in Boston aired the special "A Night At The Family Dog". I tuned in to see Santana and especially hoping to see "Soul Sacrifice". I got my wish and then this bearded fellow came out with his cohorts and the rest, as they say, is history!

You know, now that I think of it that was actually 1970, not 1971. In 1970 I was 13, so I didn't get to attend my first show for 2 more years, but what a show it was and I was a rabid fan by then after CONSUMING the "Skull and Roses" and "Europe 72" live sets.

Best memory of the 73 show was Garcia on stage all by himself late in the second set doing his own "space" with just his guitar, wah-wah and his imagination. KILLER!!! They then segued into "Stella Blue" which had not yet been released on "Wake Of The Flood". There was a laser like blue spotlight on Jerry from across the entire Civic Center as he sang that beautiful tune. Then he took it home with some georgeous guitar. Absolutely EXQUISITE!

[​IMG]

20. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2008
    In The Pines
    I have the dubious distinction of being the only Deadhead who only saw them once ( early 70's, Philly). Had to crawl on all fours to get off the floor when the crush started. Great show also my favorite era for the band. Caught Bob W. with Kingfish and recently one of The Dead's Philly shows. I remember my friends heading off to the Englishtown show. Should've gone with them. Finally got to hear that show years later on a Dick's Picks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.