Dead Man's Floor (Mix Content)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Deereman82, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Deereman82

Deereman82 TDPRI Member

Here is the newest original I've been working on. The drums and bass are midi instruments but the rest is all me, myself and I (we don't always get along). I'm still working on putting together my studio (long way to go), and I'm hoping with I can get enough acoustic treatment done in there these mixes come out better. Let me know what you guys think about the mix and what can be done spruce it up if need be.

Check it out here on YouTube:

All of it is done in Reaper, even the video. There are other videos on my channel if you'd like to check out the evolution of my mixing and video work. Still just playing around and seeing what sticks...

If you'd like the high quality (downloadable) track is here on SoundCloud as well.

2. Lizard

Lizard Tele-Meister

Sounds good, Chad. I like the lyrics and melody. If I could suggest anything it would be to give the song a change in instrumentation between the verses and the chorus. Maybe hold out the accordion part from the verses to give the chorus more punch - or play a counter melody in the chorus instead of straight chords. Also, I would make the guitar solo half as long or change it up melodically as it is a bit repetitious. Maybe ad a nice drum lick to come in from the breakdown. Just things like that to break things up and add interest. Song-wise it's good. Just needs some production. I dig. Keep up the good work.

3. Deereman82

Deereman82 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the feedback Lizard. Since I am using canned drums and bass it has been a struggle to program them to move the song along dynamically the way I would like. I know very little about playing drums so that should be something I should focus on to help program them correctly. I like your idea on shortening the guitar solo, I am a total novice (if you couldn't tell) on playing lead guitar lines, if it were shortened it would make it less obvious I would think. I'd really like it to have some lead fills in it from time to time, with them coming in strong for the chorus but my playing is holding me back I think. Also, something I should be working on...

So far in my limited journey it has been a blast bringing my songs to life and making videos to go along with them.

4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for sharing.

I’ll just echo in a general way that the arrangement is the mix. I’ve used the analogy of scenes in a movie. Not everything can be the focus. Unless that is your artistic choice. And, as you go from scene to scene, or from verse to verse to chorus to bridge etc. adding and subtracting different elements and how we spotlight them or not determines how the story we hope to tell with our song is relayed. Try not to keep the song static in the arrangement as it flows from beginning to end. Adding more instruments to the chorus, or increasing the tempo slightly or both are possibilities. But so is stripping away almost all the instrumentation and adding multiple vocals. There are no right or wrong answers. Your imagination is the limit.

Or you can be a Ramones tune and everything is on 11 from the start. There is no one answer, every song is different.

So again, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Geoff

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.