Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Dead fans, I need advice !

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Teleterr, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Arafel

Arafel TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Denver
    I caught Dead & Co. a couple of times. It's not bad for what it is. I think the song pace is really slow, like painfully slow at times. I also go back and forth on Bobby singing Jerry songs. With his current look it feels like he's trying to be Jerry, and I find that just REALLY weird. I've seen most of the post-Dead incarnations. The only one I never saw was Fare Thee Well. My favorite is still with Warren Haynes in Phil and Friends around 98-99. Regardless, they all are their own thing, except when they had John Kadlicek playing, which used to be bug me to no end because he seemed to be imitating Jerry. I have plenty of live recordings of Jerry, and he was the only Jerry.

moosie and raysachs like this.

2. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I wrote more on another post but my experience in Dallas last week convinced me there is a lot more life to this music and John, Oteil and Jeff are perfect for the job. John Mayer is having the time of his life, I bet.

Jakedog and Chip like this.

3. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I don't get this not a John Meyer fan business. It's like going to see an actor play a role in some ways. Do you not like the movie (story) simply because of the actor?

I never saw Jerry so all I have is what's around now. Latecomer. I've listened to hours of concert shows and can tell the difference between good and bad, but at the end of the day, I like the songs so I went to see people play songs I like and I had a good time.

Jakedog and Chip like this.

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    God, if they quit the drugs, they'd realize the music kinda wanders ina noodlly aimless way. And not in a Miles Davis kinda way.

blowtorch likes this.

5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Such a stupid post. And you seem to make it over and over here.

Jakedog, Arafel, Fret Wilkes and 7 others like this.

6. grilldanmo

grilldanmo TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2017
    United States of America
    I never got around to seeing the Dead before Jerry passed. From everything I've read, heard, and seen about it, the scene got weird in a not so good way. During the late-'80s and early '90s I was put off by the obsession with the Dead and Zeppelin. It was music I grew up with thanks to my father, but people needed to move past it. Not long before Jerry passed I started to appreciate the band again, having separated the music from the perception of the twits my age that called themselves deadheads. Which is not to say they weren't deadheads, but they were certainly twits and jackasses. Then Jerry checked out...

I was interested in a few of the bands that followed, but also never got to see them...I pretty much regret not going to see Warren Haynes at almost every opportunity. The farewell tour was something I passed on with the notion that any seats I got should go to a real fanatic. Then Bob, Bill and Mickey decided they weren't done and brought on Mayer. I do not care for Mayer's music at all, but hearing him play from those first clips I was reminded of hearing Dweezil after he shedded for a few years to play his dad's stuff. It's not on that same level and Dweezil is a better musician to my ears, but John definitely put in the hours. Over the past couple of years he's imbuing the lines with more uniqueness or his voice as opposed to just rolling off Jerry's licks. They're definitely evolving, but as folks have pointed out the pace seems to be dragging.

While I know you've already made up your mind, I'd go and plan on going at some point in the near future.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Well Dead and Company came and went w-out me hearing them. King Crimson and Ian Anderson does Tull were at the same general time and my wallet and ears went to them. K C was ok $ wise, but Ian was $300+ for my girl and me and that was real, not (uneeded - middle - men - reseller - weasles insurting themselves for no good reason) price. Many thanks to all who replied, I am set to check them out next time around, maybe in the Spring tour dates permitting.

8. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    I'll be honest that I really knew nothing of the Dead prior to recently. I might have known a little about the scene, but really not the music. My knowledge was Touch of Grey which came out when I was in HS, Friend of the Devil and hippies. I had not knowledge of what the music really was. I clearly feel that I missed out.

When I went to the June D&C show, I was chatting with a fellow about this and he said that they have an expression in Texas..." I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could..." I'm going with that.

Ex-riverman likes this.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    You obviously ain't never listened to the complete Bitches Brew boy !

It took Teo Macero to help Miles get to his point.

Teleterr and Ex-riverman like this.

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Do the Dead violate Miles' dictom ? For that matter does the full live recordings of Jack Johnson ? I m not sure that you couldn t grab someone off the street for some of the wah-wah work.
    " You have to be able to play inside in order to play outside. "

11. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    Don't be too hard on @ebb soul, he's probably been too busy dealing with the thousands of ticket requests for his sold out world tour to have ever listened to the lowly Grateful Dead. Ebb soul's "blood on the snow" is an epic, you can't go 5 minutes in the NYC area without hearing their music on the radio. As a matter of fact, an entire genre of music was spawned because of their influential live concerts. I've been desperately trying to get the soundboard recording of their monster 1977 tour. Forty years later, that stuff is still relevant. Hey ebb, has Warren Haynes figured out where your 60th birthday celebration is going to be yet? By the way, you're guitar playing is instantly recognizable, and people have spent years studying your unique take on the instrument, yet nobody seems able to emulate your style. Sorry if I'm gushing everybody, I'm just a huge EbbHead.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Ouch

Where's that bunny with the pancake for a hat?

13. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Like Bill Murray in Caddyshack would have said about this thread, it's a little harsh.

14. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    As stated in other posts, I'm a product of 70's Dead, basically the Cutler years. The interplay, the tones, the fire and raw energy, to me, is unmatched.
    Watch this, not only to see their relationships with each other clearly, but listen to the jams. When they connect they're running like the smoothest well-oiled machine.

and again, the jams here are stellar.
    Bird Song!

Anything after 95 just isn't the Good Old Grateful Dead. Great to see that Mayer is bringing the new, younger audience to the music. Will be weird to think that there will be a whole new tribe that never knew Garcia Dead!

And the long strange trip continues......
    Keeping my journey alive with my project
    www.deadonlive.com

raysachs, moosie, Fret Wilkes and 3 others like this.

15. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Actually it doesn't,but it's alright you don't like it.Nothing to see here.

Jakedog likes this.

16. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    See,he can have an opinion now.I really can't stand this sort of comeback.
    It has nothing to do with it.

17. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have no problem with anyone disliking the Grateful Dead, it's not for everyone. Implying that everyone who likes the Dead is on drugs is where I object...

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I've seen them twice this year. I'll go again next year. And for as long as they keep doing it.

Great band, playing great songs.

Sure, Id love to have Jerry back, but he ain't coming back.

I say again, this is a GREAT band. Go see them.

19. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    And whether being ‘on drugs’ has anything to do with the quality of or appreciation of Dead music

Stratandtele and brbadg like this.

20. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Sure he can, but if he's gonna be a dick about how he expresses it, he can expect the same in return...

Stratandtele and Chip like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.