Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Dead fans, I need advice !

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Teleterr, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I haven t heard any of The Remains of the Dead various lines LIVE since Jerry died. I ve heard them w John, and really like him, vs what seem to be Jerry clones at least to me, in the other bands. I know I'll miss Phil, but will I taint all my great memories of when Jerry was w them ?

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I think you are missing out if you don't see Dead & Co. I've seen them on every tour they've done and they've just gotten better and better.

Has nothing to do with tainting anything. The music is still out there - enjoy it while you can. It's going to be a real sad day when Bobby isn't around any more.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Recreating any moment in time is a fool's errand, IMO.

Just go with an open mind. I remember when I finally decided to go see a Furthur show. Now, they actually weren't very good by comparison to either the GD, or The Dead, or D&C. (sorry). But hearing Bird Song LIVE, one more time... I got chills, and couldn't stop grinning.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Just you 2 have mostly convinced me. The cheap seats are $ 75, the best $850. Fortunately I know how to get anywhere in the venue so I'll just get the cheapest and go where I want unless I start a "Fund Me" campaign and it works.

Chip likes this.

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Based on the thread title I thought this was going to be a much weirder post...

Jakedog, troy2003 and Martin R like this.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.

7. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    Definitely go, but go with the right frame of mind. You will be in the presence of living legends, playing some of the best (in my mind) songs in the American songbook.

What to expect:
    1. Different vibe in the music...Phil is a very unique bass player and subbing him out changes the dynamic of the music. The bottom end is perhaps held down "better" with Oteil, however Phil's lead lines are missed.
    2. SLOW pace. The songs are slowed down significantly, which I usually don't mind, but it's worth mentioning.
    3. Mediocre drumming. Kind of a Dead standard, but Mickey has not gotten better with age. I may be biased, but I always preferred 71-74 as Billy is a much more solid drummer.
    4. Mayer is on point. I don't care what anyone says, the dude sounds great in this band.

I've seen various post Jerry versions of the Dead and their side projects and I always have a blast...but rarely is my mind blown. It's still worth more than the price of admission though.

Praxis, Chip and moosie like this.

8. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I've got Deadhead friends who think that Bob singing a "Jerry" tune is sacrilege and look down on any of these groups Bob is involved in because he's "tainting all the great memories." They resolve the issue by sticking with the Darkstar Orchestra, where you can kind of squint your eyes and think that Jerry is still up there singing. I think they are crazy.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

9. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    I guess I'm in the minority. I haven't been to a show since 1995. I have heard good things about Dead and Company, so I'm getting up the courage to try it soon. Maybe.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    If someone gave me a chance to see Dark Star Orchestra or the Mayer thing ?

I’d pick the Mayer thing because he actually pleasantly surprised me and because of Bobby. Well, mainly because of Bobby.

But, my opinion is tainted because I like very , very little actual Grateful Dead past ‘81 or so ! :lol:

I’m about to be older than Jerry ever got and I’m sad and definitely a little mad that he didn’t put down the pipe and double up on the scuba when he had the chance...:(:mad:

Marc Muller likes this.

11. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I'm a longtime Deadhead who went to a lot of the early incarnations of the "Remains" in the first several years after Jerry died. I was consistently disappointed, whether because of stupid expectations or just lesser music. There will never be another Jerry and there will never be another Phil, and the interaction between them was a rare thing. And, IMHO, Bobby was at his absolute best being a harmonic bridge between those two unique players. I've never liked Bobby much as a frontman, but love him as a rhythm player when he's got some great players to meld with.

That said, I checked out the Fare Thee Well shows on streaming video and thought a few of them were really good. Trey is nothing like Jerry but is strong enough at being his own player to take the reins and I think Phil and Bobby liked having that strong personality back in that spot to interact with. I think Mayer is also really really good, although I've listened to a few recordings of their recent shows and while they're really learning to play together, I just don't really like Mayer, good as he is, in that context. His background is as a more prosaic blues player and while he tries to stretch it out, I just don't think his instincts take him in a direction that works all that well with Dead music. FOR ME, at least.

But I'm not trying to talk you out of going. I'm frankly at a point where I hate big crowds of anything and any temptation I'd have to go anyway are more or less quashed by today's ticket prices - I've been to ONE concert (beyond club shows) in the past 3-4 years. So I'm not going, even though I might enjoy it if I did. But if you can go with an open mind and NOT expect a Dead show, hell, go for it. If you can get your expectations to a place that lets you enjoy what's happening now without always referencing it against the magic you remember, you'll probably have a GREAT time. And if you don't, you don't have to go back again. But if you do, it might well be a vein worth mining again for a while.

moosie and Fret Wilkes like this.

12. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2009
    Eagle Mills, NY
    I've seen pretty much post-Jerry incarnation of the band. After each show, I'd tell myself that was the last one. Early on, those shows made me miss Jerry too much. I saw the very first Dead & Co. show in Albany, NY and was pleasantly surprised. I had no plans of going but then my friend said I was being a d**k, so I agreed. It was a good show and I've seen them a few times since. As someone said, the tempo can be slow, hearing Bob sing Jerry tunes is odd, etc. Mayer plays well and he recognizes how important the music is for folks. I guess at this point I see it as a celebration of the music. Everyone is super happy, having fun, seeing old friends - it's worth checking out.

Jakedog and Chip like this.

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'd go if I could. I haven't been to any shows since 2008 or so, due to my health.

The only thing... whenever Phil isn't on the roster, he's sorely missed. @raysachs put it very well, I thought, describing the interaction between Jerry, Bobby and Phil.

Time marches on, bodies wear out. But the music never stops...

raysachs likes this.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Bandmate of mine watched the Dead doc on Amazon this summer and asked if I could loan him some discs. He'd never really listened to them.

So I gave him Cornell, the Fillmore shows of '71 and a '76 show I really liked (Donna and Bobby sing in key the whole show !)

He really dug everything and told me so at a practice soon after.

Then he called me after and said - I gotta talk about that bass player !!! OMG !

I just told him, the power of Phil. You're gonna notice Jerry first but Phil ain't far behind - singular and a legend for a reason.

Jakedog, brbadg, Chip and 2 others like this.

15. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    That really seems silly.Why miss a good time? Besides,Bob was there for those songs.He has just as much right to sing' em as anybody else.

Chip likes this.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've seen Dead & Co, The Other Ones and Bobby's Campfire Band with both Steve Kimoch and Meyer together. John Boy is about as good as it gets and he's still in learning mode. He's approaching the gig with a lot of humility. No, it ain't the real deal, but it's not meant to be. It's still a real good time.

The Other Ones really missed Kreutzman. I didn't get to see Further, but I've seen John K. a couple of times and got to hang out with him and his band. He's really good and has a good vibe. I wish he'd break out of doing the Jerry thing more. He's a great musician in his own right.

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    But we still have Jerry to thank. Phil didn't play bass (or guitar) until Jerry told him "You're our new bass player. Man." :)

18. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I never had the good fortune to see the Dead while Jerry was alive, but I was raised on the music. I was extremely hesitant to see Dead & Company (not a Mayer fan) until a friend of mine talked me into going when they were in Phoenix.

Oh. My. God. They put on a great show with a good amount of energy, and Mayer seemed to fit way better than I ever expected him to. Even the Drums break, which I normally don't pay much attention to, was incredible. It was the first time I'd ever experienced the Beast live, and it was like hearing the voice of a god.

I enjoyed myself so much that I'm going to see them in Dallas in two weeks with my Dad and brother. Getting to see a Dead concert in person with them is a big deal to me, especially since we probably won't have too many more opportunities.

Tl;dr - I highly recommend it.

19. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    As Dead fan, I haven't seen them. Then again I stopped paying attention after Jerry's diabetic coma in 85. If you have the desire to go see them, they got the drummers & Bobby so that's pretty good amount of the Dead onstage right there. I have heard a few clips on YouTube and they seem to be getting better. The bass player is really good and Mayer is no slouch on guitar(though I find his music insipid). Go look at some recent postings on YouTube and judge if you want to go.

20. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    One word - GO!

Jakedog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.