David Crosby Tour

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stubee, May 24, 2019.

1. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

So my wife mentioned this a couple days ago and I had mild interest but with no venues within a reasonable days drive it was also easy to forget about it. Woke up today to find her frustrated as she’d tried to buy tickets to Kent, OH and failed repeatedly, so outside I sat with the dog & coffee and managed to get 4 tickets once they actually became available. It’s a 6 hour drive but we’re gonna meet good friend from Cincinnati there and that alone is worth the trip.

I haven’t been to a concert since seeing Leon Russell, Jason Isbell, Willie Nelson and then Vince Gill in about a twelve month span a couple years ago. So this should be fun plus it ticks one more thing off my wife’s
    ever expanding bucket list. 17FDD7A0-F7F9-472E-825E-9AB83F7C38C9.jpeg

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

He's coming here to VB sometime but I think I'm going to pass

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It stuns me to say this, but he’s actually been doing some great work in the last 15 or so years . And , I’d probably like that show !

Greggorios, william tele and Stubee like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I wonder why he's on tour...has he burned through another liver?

boredguy6060, Larmo63 and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'd like to see him. Never have. Looks like I already missed him in Minneapolis, May 10.

Bummed that he's getting old, losing his singing voice. One of the most beautiful voices of 20th century pop music IMHO. In 1972 with Graham Nash:

Greggorios and Matt G like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree. And if not, here's a Young David:

upload_2019-5-24_11-34-41.jpeg

Greggorios and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I saw CSN in 82 at the height of his freebasing . He was off stage burnin’ as much as he was onstage earnin’ !

He would just walk off , then reappear !

8. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Jeebus... haters gonna hate... Crosby has put out three CDs since 2014, and is in the middle of finishing another. The liver transplant was 25 years ago, and he's taken pretty good care of himself ever since. He's certainly less heavy than when I saw him with CSN back then.

Anyways. On a last minute whim, I took my boy and myself to see Crosby and his excellent (++) band the other night down in Ft. Lauderdale. It was a killer show. One of the best backing bands I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. Basically he's touring with the CPR guys (Jeff Pevar on guitar, Croz's son James Raymond on keys, and Steve DiStanislao drumming), plus two ladies, Mai Agan on bass and Michelle Willis on keys. Pretty much everyone sings, and that allowed Croz & co. to tackle material you might think he'd leave for when he can get together with Graham or some such... The band approached Steely Dan in musicality and subtlety, which comes from both Croz's jazzy folk leanings, and James Raymond's great arranging abilities. Just a great, high end performance.

Good on the OP for taking the plunge. I think you'll enjoy it. Bonus content: Jeff Pevar strangles his various Telecaster and Telecaster-ish guitars in a most subtle and tuneful way. Enjoy the show, we sure did!
    :D

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good on him, it’s his greatest gift.

10. blowtorch

Ever wonder though how many little kids, and other everyday regular folk died because some hippy too caught up in his excesses needed a new part, and could afford to buy his way to the front of the line?

11. boris bubbanov

I think of Crosby, Nash, Stills and Young right today, David probably would be the one to go see.

I'm just reluctant about seeing guys this age, with the whole evening built around how good the 70 some odd year old guy feels that night. I think the way to go are these festivals. Stay all day; see a half dozen people and don't wake up the next day crushed because your guy was not at his best that night.

Here's what I saw on the day I went. Walter "Wolfman" Washington is not doing so well. I saw a Bluegrass band that was pretty bad. But Van Morrison, Bonnie Raitt and Irma Thomas were in top form and had Van been throwing a fit or something, I could've run over and watched Al Green or Johnny Rivers instead.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Greggorios, Jimmy Owen and rand z like this.
  12. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

I saw them in Madison on that '72 tour. At one point Graham Nash was going to play an electric piano, it looked like a Wurlitzer, could have been a Rhodes, and no sound came out. A couple of road guys quickly came out and started troubleshooting, changing cables, still nothing. At that point Crosby walked over and smacked the piano on the top with his fist. Lo and behold, the piano then worked, to the delight of everyone. Crosby walked up to the mic and said, "American ingenuity at its finest."

13. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I've enjoyed his recent work with Michael League. Still relevant imho.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

In KC my brother dated a lady for a couple of years, who was totally in the middle of this process. And the takeaway I got was, stars and people with high visibility generate a massive amount of development and improvement in the whole organ replacement culture. If somehow the famous people never needed an organ, nobody would pay much attention to any of this and would be successful recipients would be few or none.

15. blowtorch

OK so then I guess everyone should be grateful David Crosby is such a horrible human being :p

Stubee likes this.
  16. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Judge much?

Greggorios, Flyboy, Georox and 2 others like this.
  17. blowtorch

It doesn't take a Judge Judy, or anything

18. boris bubbanov

upload_2019-5-24_12-9-59.jpeg

When I first saw this meme some time ago, my immediate reaction was "David Crosby". I mean, the kid's face - his expression.

I've been waiting to use it. I'm deflated that nobody sees what I see.

19. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I've met David Crosby a number of times and enjoyed dinner with him once, where he talked entirely about other guitar players he loved, about guitar makers he admired, and about music in general. He was doing this particular event for free. I've encountered him other times when he has volunteered to share his life experiences with students and in an entirely non-preachy way presents his experiences so they can learn from them. You can judge than man any way you want, but I sincerely doubt that you can judge him harder or more honestly than he judges himself. The person I have encountered is really remarkable -- affirming, brilliant, insightful, generous -- so if you want to dish out crap, go ahead, but I'm living in the present and talking about my own reality. I would love to be able to show the persistence, creativity, and resilience -- even regeneration -- Crosby exhibits. Just my opinion.

20. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

My sister saw him in Costa Mesa, Ca a few years ago and was supremely disappointed.

I know that is anecdotal, but it colors my judgement to buy tickets to go see him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.