Daughter needs car, how bout this?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Dec 12, 2018.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Obviously, there have been SO MANY offers above the asking price, the seller is still combing through them.

2. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Subaru only makes wagons if you squint hard. The outback is a SUV now and the imprezza is a hatchback but not a wagon.

BobbyZ likes this.
  3. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Getting back to the daughter...
    Teenage daughter number one totaled two cars before she was 17. Whew... The next vehicle was our three year old Suburban that has survived a few years so far.
    Teen age daughter number two (the sensible one) got a one year old Corolla that lasted her through college.
    Teenage boy number one was given a really nice 69 Camero by his uncle.

Mark

Gabrielle84 and BobbyZ like this.
  4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

20160805_201224.jpg Speaking of wagons, here's my two from a few years ago. Bought the BMW for my daughter to drive while she was here that summer from LA. She like the 66 Volvo better because guys didn't just assume she was married with children.:)

Actually I should just give her the 66, it's old enough that it's mechanically simple. Basically a tractor motor with two SU carbs and a 4sp, overdrive tranny. Be great for the karaoke business too, but the safety features, such as they are, are dated.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Matt G, PingGuo, Chunkocaster and 3 others like this.
  5. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister

So true! many of us either (a) work two jobs to make ends meet (not talking extravagant living, either) or (b) if married/partnered-both have to work to make ends meet. And I'm not talking extravagant lifestyles.

BobbyZ and getbent like this.
  6. Gabrielle84

Gabrielle84 Tele-Meister

my first car-a 1978 Ford Fiesta, standard that I shared with my sister. I grew up in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, near the Canadian border. With snow tires, kitty litter in the back and a small snow shovel-we had no issues driving it in the snow. I would take that thing through the white mountains to get to college in Maine at all times of the year. Great little car.

My daughter has my old (1998) Saab station wagon-still going strong.

My sister currently has a Scion XB-great car she brought new in 2004 or 2005 and she still drives it daily.

Me-i have a Jeep Renegade-enough jeep for what I need when I visit family during the winter or mud season, but not so much jeep that it rattles my teeth when driving to the grocery store here in southern New England.

BobbyZ and getbent like this.
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

It’s no problem bro......my dad has an awesome set of tools!

[​IMG]

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

However, they're both built on an adapted sedan platform, so for me that means they're still essentially wagons or combis.

Subaru tried the Tribeca and that failed - now they have a new vehicle and I'll concede, that's either a Minivan or an SUV.

[​IMG]

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

I'm curious how you're getting confirmation of this.

10. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I am the proud owner of a 1988 Dodge Ram pickup with a 318 V8. And I wear size 18 EEEE shoes. Next...

Chunkocaster and BobbyZ like this.
  11. BobbyZ

Lol ! I've got a 1981 W250 Dodge Ram. 4×4, 4 speed manual, roll up windows, no AC and a big hole where the radio used to be.
    A man's truck !
    But I call it the "chick magnet". :)

If that TV show I got roped into gets on the air it'll be on TV. The BMW was in the shop when we filmed, but they were OK with the old pickup.

dan1952 likes this.
  12. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Hahaha! But does your truck still have the menacing Ram hood ornament?!?

getbent likes this.
  13. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Lol ! I've got a 1981 W250 Dodge Ram. 4×4, 4 speed manual, roll up windows, no AC and a big hole where the radio used to be.
    A man's truck !

Hey, I drive a truck too...mine's a 1997 Ford F250 Heavy Duty, 4x4, 7.3 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel, 5 speed manual. It had 19,000 on it when I bought it and has 340,000 on it now and runs like new. I use it to haul my Bobcat and trailer my band equipment. Still a great truck.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Chunkocaster, dan1952 and getbent like this.
  14. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Yeah, it'd be a good first car. She'll have plenty of room for moving things.

15. BobbyZ

?
    20181212_230813.jpg
    Hate to admit it, but I had to go look, no ram head. But it's got these fancy lights and a chrome deer catcher. Had it inside before dawn patrol to change a brake line and bleed the brakes. Oddly enough a brake line rusted through, they just don't make things to last. :)

Be glad when my daughter gets a car and I get mine back. I like being manly and all but I miss those heated seats.

dan1952 and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

C'mon, two too many!

BobbyZ likes this.
  17. BobbyZ

When I actually did use a truck for more than a trip to the lumber yard or the dump, I had an 88 F350 diesel crew cab 4×4. Started with about zero miles it got sold at around 500,000. Last few years it just sat there, after I got out of the sandblasting and painting biz. Think I took 800 or $900 from the first guy that offered cash. Still actually ran and drove pretty well, but had seen better days and frankly I just wanted it gone.

dan1952 likes this.
  18. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

From direct observation. To be fair, you may not fit that demographic.

The stereotype is pretty typical here in suburban PNW. For some reason a lot of people here feel the need for a 4X4 4 door full sized Diesel pickup even though they don't have a reason to drive them for anything more than single person commuting. I think it has something to do with the local major employer offering a lot of overtime so people figure hey, I'm rich so why not spend that money on a $50,000 pickup?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    BobbyZ likes this.
  19. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Ha ha...I guess that's designed so that the rest of the world will hate us. Some people are very well off but most are just average. On my way to work (20 minute commute) I pass by everything from mobile home parks to apartment buildings to $300k houses.
    My vehicle is 15 years old and I live pretty simply in a $180k house. My wife's vehicle is six years old.
    Social media probably plays a role in the perception of Americans, too because many people put on a front of being very well off when they are not...lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TDPRI mobile app

Chunkocaster and dan1952 like this.
  20. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Oddly enough, heated seats are the main reason I drive the Honda Odyssey most days instead of the old Dodge Ram!

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.