Databases for Dummies: Google Sheets question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, May 14, 2019.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

vlookup is your friend :)

Skamania likes this.
  2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That's kind of the PowerApps deal except (speaking as a G Suite admin and Alphabet stockholder) the Microsoft platform does more and with ease. Your PowerApps can be as simple as Excel most know but with more features or can link to other data sources. I've taken the desktop version of the Excel file, done what web and Sheets won't do but then place the file back as the PowerApps data source.

I have nonprogrammers who find the huge library of PowerApp templates and get cool stuff done fast. I'm in a group of techies that volunteers our time for nonprofits and we're more and more understanding why Microsoft's on such a roll these days. It's beyond any fanboy feelings or favorites. Microsoft has transformed into a company and line of products far from lots of stuff in our minds from the past. If our OP has the choice of both we'd point out the PowerApps.

Edit and full disclosure: The programmers in the team of volunteers I mention still dislike the Google forms and PowerApps to the extent they say it's not real programing and development.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

what is nice about forms is that the graphs will auto generate... but, you said you've used them a lot.. and you already have your spreadsheet working... I just went back and re-read your OP... the short answer is I think you don't need an add on or another app...

https://support.google.com/docs/table/25273?hl=en

Query alone should solve most of the issues you have and it won't require programming....

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

He is using Gsuite and his users will be used to it and what he wants to do is done well in gsuite...

(i own and buy and gsuite and MS Office (CAMSA) for 26K users) he has it and knows it... I think just stick to what everyone is used to.

imwjl likes this.
  5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That was an early thought but my pals and have on deck an issue where people we help are not happy with the product limitations while others feel the same about complexity. It might also be good to know - sorry if I missed it - that he's truly got what gets down to the G Suite or appropriate tier of Microsoft's product.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Thanks, this is a lot of food for thought.

The last thing I'd do is ask anybody to do this stuff for free; and I'm not adverse to learning new stuff, but since there's no budget and I basically get an hour a week off my teaching schedule to do this and all the other dept head things, I'm just looking for the simplest solution to reduce duplication/conflicts of data and doc creation (mainly because I'm not that good at keeping all these different things up to date...). Consequently, a low-coding solution is what I seek, and the most basic way to get the job done.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I don't know what that is, but I'll find out!

Bewdy!

It's probably fair to say I'm equally comfortable in either Sheets or Excel: I know how to sort columns, I know how to use SUM and AVG, etc. I just learned about pivot tables last week...

8. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

You might use Excel. Whenever I have a question I search the web and include “mrexcel”. The folks at MrExcel use a lot of Visual Basic which can do anything.

You might just start out with Pivot Table.

Later you could use Access but Excel does it for me. Access gives others that glazed look when you explain it to them. ;)

Jupiter likes this.
  9. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

If you want to crazy look up “index”. I have never figured that out. HLookup and vlookup works fine for me.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.