Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Darn gas.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bassetman, Aug 3, 2018.

1. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    OP: Yes I admit........... ive got a tele problem.

2. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    Not quite in its final form but strung up, roughly intonated and played for a bit. Saddles are high and flat right now but it is very bluesy and it rocks as well.

[​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.

3. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    This is an idea that I’m liking
    [​IMG]

4. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    Holy smokes that’s awesome!

bassetman likes this.

5. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    It plays great as well.

6. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Looks great. I love it!!

7. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2018
    Maud, Oklahoma
    What does that switch between the volume and tone pot do?

8. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    Switches between three tone caps....I don’t use it much but wanted to try it.

Kreepy likes this.

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Well, what are the three caps and what have you learned from using the switch? Please share.
    Also, I had an experience where I changed the cap from a (measured) .057 to a .022, and think I can hear it brighter now with the tone pot all the way up, which shouldn't happen. Can you hear any difference at all when you switch between your three cap values with the tone pot turned full up?

Thanks, and what a beautiful guitar that turned out to be. Even though it covers more wood I think I like the conventional pickguard better than the previous.

Rex

10. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    It started as a way to A-B caps to test expensive bumble bee types against cheapest.....very little difference. Now I had a 15 a 33 and a 47 uf choices. When plugged to the drri it likes the 33 the super champ x2 sounds best with the 15 I’m not a fan of the 47.

11. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Thanks! When the tone knob is all the way up (brightest sounding) and you switch between the three caps can you detect any difference in the brightness of the tone?

Cheers,
    Rex

12. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    UGH!!! Did you HAVE to cover over all that beautiful wood with a pickguard? And to quote someone from long ago: "YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY TELES!"

13. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    Wow. Amazing redwood. While I normally love mots pickguards, maybe I'd consider a different one for such. a beautiful top as this, something ng like an amber flame maple guard or maybe a bleached redwood.. similar to what you have for a top but bleached lighter.

I had 3 bassets and a plotthound. Hounds. Awesome.

bassetman likes this.

14. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    Yes. The redwood top highlights pickscratches and they glow like neon.

15. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    You can tell the difference on the caps but it’s not an earthshaking change....it’s better say to use a darker cap on a bright amp or vice versa

16. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA

Also nearly every comment was that the top ...especially under lights on stage is too uniform. The contrast looks a lot better....if you disagree do yours differently. ;)

17. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    If it makes you feel better. The screw heads are dummies and I use 3m adhesive sheet to mount the guard...no holes.

18. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    That is brilliant!

And at the risk of being a real pain, all I am trying to ask is if you "dime" the tone pot and don't touch it at all, play on the same amp at the same settings, and just switch between caps, can you tell a difference in the brightness of the tone. I can't tell for sure if that is what the answer you posted above means. I understand you can tell a difference in their tapers, etc. But your set-up is a perfect way to answer a question that was being batted around here a couple weeks back. Conventional wisdom is the cap value makes no difference with the tone on "10." But I thought mine sounded brighter at 10 after going from a .057 to a .022. Wondering what your set-up proves about that one way or the other.

Thanks,
    Rex

19. bassetman

bassetman TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    I say at ten it does make a difference I can hear.....even though others will make a good case for that not happening.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.