Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

DanoJet 7 - a 7-string Bigsbyfied rockabilly twanger...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RomanS, Sep 10, 2018.

1. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Some slow progress:

-) put a thin coat of amber shellac on my neck.

-) sanded my master template to the line - easier than I thought, didn't even need my drum sanding attachment for my drill, did it all by hand.

-) cut out the body blanks, the back and the top:

[​IMG]

-) sanded the back and the top really smooth, and applied a thin coat of amber shellac.

jayyj and RickyRicardo like this.

2. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Looking like a good start!

3. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    OK, tiny bit of progress:

Made an improvised router table with an old board I had laying around, mounted my Makita router underneath:

[​IMG]

Used the router to make a working template from my master template:

[​IMG]

Then I used the working template to route the edges of one of my two body blanks; used my drill & jigsaw to hollow out the body blank, leaving some "bracing" for the top, and thicker walls for where the strap lugs, Bigsby mounting screws, output jack, and bridge will go, and also left a solid spot behind the bridge area, that's where the low B string will go through the body:

[​IMG]

Now going to glue the second (bottom) body blank to the first one, and then I'll use the edges of the top body blank to guide my router bit.

LPTyler, Mat UK, jayyj and 1 other person like this.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looking forward to seeing this come together, nice stuff as usual!

RomanS likes this.

5. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Been a while, but there's a tiny bit of progress - routed the second layer of the body, so the "frame" is finished:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, despite following all the rules (take slow, shallow passes; route "uphill"; etc.), I still had a few spots with a little bit of tear-out. Well, lots of sanding and some wood putty will hopefuly help there - since that wood isn't really attractive, anyway, I had already planned on painting the sides in black or dark brown, anyway (which should contrast the honey-colored top nicely) - so all the mistakes will be covered.

LPTyler likes this.

6. RomanS

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Also cut out the holes for the pots, switch, and pickups (going to backload those, so that I don't need pickup rings) - freehanded those with the jigsaw, they aren't super pretty, but hey, who's going to see the back of the guitar, anyway?

[​IMG]

Glued the back to the frame, now I'll have to wait for the glue to dry...

loopy reed and LPTyler like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.