Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Dano Kinda Thing Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by boop, Dec 1, 2018.

1. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    OK!
    I'm shooting first and asking questions later. Never built a guitar. I have a rough idea of what I'm doing. I've got a sheet of masonite and I'm gunna build some kinda rough and ugly dano thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rough template/mockup

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    GotRoot?, imploration, CraigB and 7 others like this.
  2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Looks like a good start. Is that Maple and Douglas Fir?

3. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Right on, just do it!

4. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    Yup, I got a stick of some maple flat sawn stuff, and I believe that is doug fir which i found in my garage.

DrASATele likes this.
  5. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    Ok, things are sloppily but enjoyably happening.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the body roughly hacked out, got to fix some nicks where i made some hacksaw errors.

I kind of wish it were a bit bigger. especially as its a cavity filled body made out of doug fir, the center block is pine. Maybe experiment with putting some material back on the body, a la:

[​IMG]

I think the answer is mutiple thinner strips. I'll make some

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    GotRoot?, imploration, CraigB and 4 others like this.
  6. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    Started building My First Guitar Neck(TM)

So I went and bought a $14 handsaw 'cause you gotta invest in your tooling.
    Scarf!
    [​IMG]
    Glue.
    [​IMG]
    Channel!
    [​IMG]
    Learning how to chisel on my neck, I was pretty ok with how this went. The truss rod has no play because the channel is not *perfectly* straight, but I decided to jam some wood chips 'n glue beside the rod to make sure it's super snug.
    [​IMG]
    Ooh, shiny. Next, lets make some fretboard blanks.
    [​IMG]
    Best I could have reasonably hoped for.... two brand new maple fretboard blanks! Super psyched.
    [​IMG]
    Now to clean up so it doesn't look like I was building a guitar in my kitchen...

7. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    I've set a few trusses in 100% silicone bed. Holds it tight but lets it move.

Right on! that 14$ ~ 14 degree handsaw scarf action is an inspiration to us all. With the chisel your well on your way to a hand tool only build.
    I've seen the old carpenter cut some nice veneers by hand saw.

I love when Sheer Determination out weighs things like lack of tools, lack of time, lack of money, lack of a place, and lack of common sense.

Carry On! I'm so looking forward to this.

kkphoto, trancedental and boop like this.
  8. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    Thanks for the kind words. The headstock angle is 11 degrees. I might shoot a little bit of silicone in there. I'm not crazy about doin that, but paranoia about that being loose might win out.

Lack of common sense is right on the money!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    2blue2 likes this.
  9. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    Okay, I fell off the wagon on this build for a minute. I have some avoidance anxiety when I think about slotting my fretboard, but I got a nice ruler in the mail and some fretwire, but I started warming up by doing some less critical stuff.

Unsure if I was ready to glue my top on, I went ahead and did that, and roughed out the edges.
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't in a panic at all gluing this together. No sir.... Why didn't I just do a solid body. :cry:. Those are sliced and diced bicycle inner-tubes, because not enough clamps.

[​IMG]
    Ok.

Non final headstock design. Just eye-ballin' it. This one was a little weird.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    imploration, CraigB, 2blue2 and 2 others like this.
  10. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    Looks super cool. Love the shape!!

Doesn’t the textured side go inside though?

11. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. Uncle_Battuh

Uncle_Battuh TDPRI Member

Nov 12, 2017
    BRZL
    Yes, it does.

boop likes this.
  13. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    somethin' like that
    [​IMG]
    Nothing has been going perfectly, but no deal breakers... yet. I managed to use old and inaccurate marks to glue on my fretboard, which resulted in losing maybe 1mm of edge in the top side of the neck. I accordingly had to recenter the neck, putting my truss rod a bit off center. That’s not a problem until it’s a problem. Cutting my neck pocket went ok doing some conservative hogging with a drill bit and chiseling and sanding to fit

The textured side of the masonite looks bettter in person. I’ve done a handful of coats of one pound cut of shellac. The masonite soaks up shellac like the paper it is. It’s starting to take on a Sheen. I’ll do a handful more as they dry very quickly.

Now I have to make my radius block, and figure out how to go about drilling inlay dots, the corded drill I have doesn’t drill round holes. Yay

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  14. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    The Koch DIY radius block construction technique worked a charm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had grand delusions of finding a nice peice of cherry in the woods to make fret dots out of. Instead I spied a variety pack of dowels in Targét for $2.50. I cut one into bits and soaked 'em in some stain I had.

I was able to use my hand drill after all with a brad point bit. They were tapped in with tightbond and sawn flush with my multi-use fret saw.

[​IMG]
    And redoin' the slots.
    [​IMG]

There is something very satisfying about doing inlays. I need to figure out something for side dots. Is clay a thing? Someone suggested a pencil graphite core, which is a good dimension but I'm worried it could make a mess of the maple.

Should I put Tightbond in my fret slots when I hammer in frets?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Ekko and GotRoot? like this.
  15. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    This is so way cool.

boop likes this.
  16. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    I thought about leaving the one I built unpainted minus a little clear coat. This thing is going to look way cool.

boop likes this.
  17. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I have for 10 years with no problem

boop likes this.
  18. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jun 18, 2016
    Patterson, NY
    Great attitude. You've got my respect and admiration. Thanks for the posting and pics. Look forward to seeing your progress and results.

19. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    For me its more productive to be a little haphazard as I can get hung up on details. But I know if i destroy something, i'll be able to build the second one a lot faster and easier.

For side dots perhaps:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-to-make-clay-dots-by-bill.301150/

Looks like I'm going back to Joann's

Greggorios likes this.
  20. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massamachusetts
    String through holes. I gots 'em. I wandered to a place with a tabletop drill press to give myself a false sense of security making holes. Got pumped up to do the bridge stuff but the darn press didn't have enough reach to get to the center of the guitar. So, someone more clever than Isuggested making a template in a board, then using the template to drill straight using my hand drill. Sounded pretty good, so that's what I did.

Mounted my bridge on a 3/4 hunk of maple. and drilled away.

[​IMG]
    Took me a few tries, I did one for the top, and one for the ferrule side.
    Here I am doing the holes from the top.
    [​IMG]
    I drilled all the way through the guitar on the two outermost holes.
    Then used those holes to line up the ferrule template as best as possible, clamped it in place, set up like so...
    [​IMG]
    And Bob's your uncle. Good enough for me. Hole on the right is too deep when the drill grabbed. I just shoved a 5/16ths chunk of dowel in there and its better than ever.
    [​IMG]

Then...
    [​IMG]
    Wow that photo came out kind of dramatic. Like the scene of a crime. It kind of was... please use chisels with care in respect to your personal safety.

Ekko and CraigB like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.