Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Danish Oil vs. Tung Oil Finish vs. Tru-Oil: A neck finish report

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by dilbone, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    Dont know what all the fuss is about! I just finished my unpteenth maple neck with Formbys tung oil, which i believe is tung with a poly added to it: i put on 2 thin coats a day with a soft rag- after 5 minutes , i wiped off the excess. Hung to dry 24 hrs. 0000 steel-wool in between days , did this for 5 days- got a great buffable protective coat. The manufacturer stamps " warrantee void without hard finish" Their just cheezy- ive done this finish for over 20 years-never ANY PROBLEM!! Need more?? Give it some more coats. This oil drys without being stickey!!

the2connors likes this.

2. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    Homer formbys makes the nicest tun oil TYPE of finish, it soaks in and drys hard. Its been around for ages, if fact, you will likely throw away an unused portion cause it gets so hard, u cant open the bottle, wipe on a liberal coat- letvit s hang 8-10 min. Wipe off the excess & let warm dry for 12 hrs, when another coat can be applied. After a few-4 days of this u can -000 steel wool, snd keep adding coats till you feel like u got enough on there, usually 7-10 aplications on a maple neck, with or without mapke fingerboard. If your doing the fungerboard, be sure to realy wipe it off the frets.. It will give u a nice protective finish & feel! Ive used it for years!)

the2connors likes this.

3. dotnetbrett

dotnetbrett TDPRI Member

May 1, 2017
    Columbia, MD
    How many coats did you go with the Try-Oil?

4. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

Like the OP I dont get along with tru-oil and I would not use it on my guitars or basses. Apart from the stink it gunks up very easily around frets and in corners. If anything it is a poor mans lacquer as it is a hand applied film that you can build up and polish out to a pretty finish. May as well use nitro or acrylic.

In my workshop I sand and burnish timbers till they reflect light and apply 3 coats of Cabots Danish Oil. First coat is a smear and just enough to wet the wood. Second and third I'll use a liberal amount until the whole thing is dripping, let it stand 5 minutes, wipe off and buff with paper towel. repeat once or twice more.
    Job done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.