Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Danelectro Sitar Swami - Who Has One?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by castpolymer, Apr 26, 2010.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I am intrigued by this weird pedal. Anyone own one or played one?

Attached Files:

2. I am the owner of a sitar swami.

3. castpolymer

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Why am I not surprised? ;) How do you like it? I think I am going to procure it for a few Echo and the Bunnymen songs I like to play. Any feedback on the pedal would be greatly appreciated.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Where's the hole to hold the incense stick?

6. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    I want one.

7. it does not sound like a sitar. I think it is one of the most widely slammed pedals of all time. I bought every one of the danelectro pedals along the way or got them as gifts.

I got the swami as a gift. I've heard you can get sitar sounds from it. I think the guys who are successful at it also have chemical intervention to aid in their perception.

it is a weird, octave, splatter, ring modulator thing... like a jet taking off with the bomb going off as it gains altitude. really you can only play one string at a time (maybe two) without just a freakout....

I like the pedal and won't ever sell it, but it is a very 'once in a while' type thing....

if you want a good sitar sound without buying a sitar, get an old variax. the sitar sounds in those are perfect.

8. dguitar3

dguitar3 Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    You can also get a sitar like sound by using an Octavia-type pedal. Use the bridge pickup, turn the guitar's volume down some and play right at the bridge.

9. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2006
    New Jersey
  10. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    I want one just because of the way it looks.

11. a man after my own heart!

All the 'big' dano pedals are pretty cool (and mostly really good too) the reverse delay and the swam are the least useful, but I dig them.

you can find them pretty cheap used.

12. Brian L

Brian L Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2010
    Hollister, CA
    Why would they call it a "Sitar Swami" if it doesn't sound anything like a Sitar? That is just dishonest marketing.

I was ready to break out that bag of weed that has been in my toolbox for 20 years.

13. I dunno... maybe because a screaming tree doesn't sound like a tree screaming or a swollen pickle doesn't sound like a...

there were several people who thought you could buy a sitar AND a swami for 79.00 and were suprised when it wasn't. Lots of people have been upset that the 149.00 fender deluxe reverb pedal doesn't sound that much like a deluxe reverb if you are plugging it into a gorilla (animal or amp)

I will say that based on how it DOES sound, you might want to break out that bag anyway... it will trip a brotha out.

14. Brian L

Brian L Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2010
    Hollister, CA
    Were people upset about the Love Pedal because they couldn't.............Oh nevermind.

15. actually, I have heard (only rumor) that the people who bought that actually did 'fit' in the input jack...

they were also rumored to drive hummers while being harangued by shrewish spouses.

16. insombob

insombob Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2003
    i had one and very badly wanted to use it on SOMETHING... ANYTHING. i think, i did, in fact, use it on about 2 seconds of a solo in the studio before shipping it back to musician's friend. in my opinion, it was a big piece o' crap. the reverse delay (what i exchanged for) was a lot more useful in the not very useful at all category of pedals. at least that one you could sorta do a backwards sounding thing. the swami... i have no idea what the hell it was SUPPOSED to do. really sounded like a big mess. to each his own. peace.

17. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2005
    Colorado
    Bob Moricz - Danelectro Sitar Swami... :D

18. castpolymer

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Has anyone tried the Swami with just a clean boost? It seems that might alleviate the volume drop issue that the gentleman in the video ( #2 ) brought up.

19. okay, I'm gonna have to record something with mine....

i dig this guys videos (he seems like the kind of crazy neighbor I'd like)

but, I can get mine to sound kind of cool....

he needs to use the supplied slide with it too...

20. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2005
    Colorado
    I thought he did a good job of demonstrating why most people don't like it.. :lol:

Don't you have the Catalinbread Teaser Stallion.... :confused:

21. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Damn, that pedal is annoying.

Some years ago, I had a Dano/Silvertone sitting around that I wasn't playing much and took it to a luthier who made it into a 'sitar'. Basically, he replaced the slim wooden piece on the bridge with a big, flat block of ebony... that buzzed just like a 'sitar'. Cost all of $20 to do.

I used it for some recordings, then swapped the old piece back onto the bridge to sell it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.