Danelectro "dolphin" headstock angle (or plans?)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by papaschtroumpf, Nov 20, 2018.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

I can't find any picture that shows if the Dano "dolphin" headstock has a back angle or is build like a fender headstock. The lack of string trees leads me to believe it's angled?
    Anyone knows the angle? Is it the same as coke bottle neck?

[​IMG]

Anyone has a plan/blueprint for a Dano style neck (coke bottle or dolphin)

2. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I'd certainly look for the 'coke bottle' version -- never liked how that low E string takes a detour from the nut to the tuner!!

3. papaschtroumpf

agreed, I'm planning on doing a hybrid with straight pull. In fact something very close to the Epi Wilshire shape, whcih is why I asked about it in a different thread.

4. papaschtroumpf

This is the bass version, but the angle seems very slight

[​IMG]

5. papaschtroumpf

I found a low res JPEG on the net for the U2 (cokebottle headstock), and that plan, if you believe the internet, indicates a 14 degree angle when I measure it in InkScape
    upload_2018-11-20_19-10-22.png

2blue2 likes this.
  6. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cant see the tilt in the pictures about how much you guess

7. papaschtroumpf

I found this very low res of a silvertone with dolphin neck
    I measure roughly 6 degrees of back angle
    [​IMG]

8. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx TDPRI Member

That looks like it is designed to have the string wrapped the wrong way around the pole...

fordguy_85 likes this.
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have an original dano neck in front of me. It's definitely not like a Gibson or fender. It looks like you could cut the poplar neck wood out of a 1" thick piece of wood not including the fretboard added to it.

The rosewood fretboard is about 3/16" thick. The heel measures 7/8" thick total poplar and rosewood. The 1/8" wide nut slot for the aluminum nut is cut 3/32" deep into the poplar. The peghead is 17/32" thick.

Based on the dimensions of this coke bottle peghead neck, the peghead angle is 3.0 degrees.

coke peghead.JPG

dano.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    crazydave911 and papaschtroumpf like this.
  10. papaschtroumpf

Thanks guitarbuilder! I didn't realize the nut was in a slot I thought it sat on the same surface as the fretboard.

I wonder if the neck angle was indeed designed to be cut out of a 1" poplar without having to glue anything on or cut a scarf neck.

11. guitarbuilder

I bet that was the whole idea. Make it cheaper than a Fender. It has two steel flat stock rods running down the neck. I think there are fewer broken dano necks than Gibson. The fretboard radius is flatter too than a Gibson. I don't have a guage to measure it but I bet it is 16-18".

12. papaschtroumpf

I think the reissues are 14'

I may make mine 12' simply because I don't have a 14' gauge :)

This will also be my first time radiusing a fretboard. All my previous build I bought a radiused and slotted board. In fact I'm hoping to get my fretting saw for Christmas.

13. guitarbuilder

14. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Its Dano madness

15. Uncle_Battuh

Uncle_Battuh TDPRI Member

Hey, late to the party, but...

From my researches, the original Danos have a 5º headstock angle, the nineties Korean re-issues had a more conventional 15º, and the more recent Chinese and Korean re-issues went back to the original 5º angle. But I don't belive that those are the exact figures; measuring from this picture, it looks like a 3º angle.

[​IMG]

https://aguitarnerd.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/danelectro-reissue-comparisons/

16. papaschtroumpf

Thanks that was an interesting link.

17. guitarbuilder

From my researches, the original Danos have a 5º headstock angle, the nineties Korean re-issues had a more conventional 15º, and the more recent Chinese and Korean re-issues went back to the original 5º angle. But I don't belive that those are the exact figures; measuring from this picture, it looks like a 3º angle.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

Here's my Dano neck sitting on the frets on table in front of me. d4.jpg

Here is what 5 degrees would like like with a 3/16" thick fretboard on .031 high frets.

5degr.JPG

Let's call the measured measurement .625". As you compare the measured from the calculated, it's not .824" from the table up to the the surface. The math just doesn't support 5 degrees with the example in front of me. Not that they couldn't change it at any point, but this original one isn't 5 degrees.

18. Uncle_Battuh

Uncle_Battuh TDPRI Member

A few years ago, there was a Dano Longhorn Bass .pdf plan available to download for free at the site of a Dutch Luthier named Jan van Cappelle. (For some reason he changed his mind and now his Dano and Silvertones plans are available only for selling).

There it was stated that "The headstock is placed under a flaw five degree angle and profiled in the characteristic Danelectro 'coke bottle' shape."

It was the only place that I found a measurement to a Dano headstock angle at that time, and so I assumed that 5º it was. But nows your measurements seem more correct to me.

[​IMG]

19. guitarbuilder

I needed to update this thread. I got a dano neck in much better shape. I just rechecked the angle on it and with a 6" scale and some math it appears to be either 5 degrees. I took off the nut and put a straight edge across the frets and measured down at the end of the fretboard and at the end of the coke bottle. According to the measurements I came up with it looks like it is 5 degrees. My math came up with 4.87 measuring by eye and an online trig calculator. My old dano neck has a defect and that must have altered the poplar which may be why it wasn't used in the first place.

The other thing is that the steel bars look like they are 3/16" thick x 1/2" tall to fit into a 3/16" wide kerf. This newer neck also has a 1-5/8 or so nut and 2-3/16" heel. It was from a convertible model. A couple dots are closer to the bass side than then centered, and there are plenty of mill marks. You can see remnants of the knife that cut the top of the fretboard radius as scallops about every .200 inches.

Also the side dots are alumimum rod or nails...LOL. They go up to the 12th fret.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.