Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Danelectro Dead on 67 - bridge?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Mandala, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Mandala

Mandala TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Torino, Italy
    Hi guys,

I'going to buy a baritone guitar and found a Danelectro Dead On 67 for a very reasonable price. It looks like a nice guitar, but I'm not really sure about the bridge (this one: http://www.sarcofagus.com/Sarcofagus/Da ... Bridge.jpg). Given it's a single piece of wood, will it be possible to tune that guitar to A standard without any tuning issue?
    I originally wanted to buy a Danelectro '56, mainly for the adjustable bridge - and because I love lipstick pickups. I wonder if that fixed bridge could be mounted on a Dead on 67. The holes seem to be in the same location, but the Dead on has a metal sheet under the bridge which I fear could cause some problems.

Has anyone any experience with this model?

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    The Danelectro wooden bridge is subject to much ridicule. It doesn't deserve it. Intonation can easily be roughed out and you'll have no tuning issues. The string length doesn't change just because you've altered your tuning. Changes in gauge may require a tweak, but that's it.
    My favourite guitar is my Danelectro DC, a 1998/9 reissue. I made the mistake of replacing the original bridge with a shorty Tele type. Ruined the sound!. Rosewood or nothing!
    Go for it. If you need to drill a hole or two, then change your mind, that's what stickers were invented for. Try the wooden bridge first though.

Zepfan likes this.

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    +1. If you really need to you can fit an adjustable bridge. But the Rosewood adds a satisfying 'thonk' especially for bass - or baritone.

Zepfan likes this.

4. dami11e

dami11e NEW MEMBER!

Oct 6, 2017
    there's an adjustable bridge for the u3 available at allparts. maybe this would work.

the dead on '67 bridge is a vibrato mechanism as well, iirc.

this is how i found the forum--i'd like to add a vibrato mechanism to a 56.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.