Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Danelectro 3 pickup models: u3, dc3, or mod 6?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by degoydegoy, Jan 16, 2017.

1. degoydegoy

degoydegoy NEW MEMBER!

Jan 16, 2017
    Boston
    Greetings, I'm totally new here but I've been reading a lot, trying to figure out which Danelectro model I should be looking for.

I'm not a good guitar player, but I enjoy playing, and also sample my guitar playing for use in songwriting. I was long-term borrowing my brother's Rickenbacker 620, which seemed great to me, but recently it had to be returned. I went to my local shop looking for something to replace it. I told the guy that I wanted the most versatile guitar he had, something with the widest range of sounds. And then I fell in love with a recent reissue Danelectro baritone, pretty much the opposite of what I came in there looking for.

So now I'm kind of obsessed with Danelectro, just love the sound, playability, look, and price of the baritone, but I feel like I still need a standard guitar that has great versatility. So it seems like I should be looking at the Mod 6, DC3, and U3. The consensus I've tried to extract from my reading says that the Mod 6 is the "best" followed by DC3 and then U3. Problem is I haven't been able to find much evidence and specific opinions which support that conclusion. I've listened to plenty of youtube demos of the three, but it's really hard to compare because there's so much variation in sound quality, amps, effects, and what's being played.

Can any Danelectro experts help me sort this out? I understand that the Mod 6 has a lipstick humbucker in the bridge, but other than that what are the main differences between the three? They're all visually appealing in different ways, number of cutouts doesn't matter to me. Any thoughts on which one a bad guitar player who nonetheless likes to play and sample the guitar with a wide range of tones should get?

Thanks!

2. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I've got a DC-3 re-issue, very happy with it. Lots of different tones available and there's nothing like the Blow switch to really overdrive the amp.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.