Damaged Tele during shipment

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Neener, May 16, 2019.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Unfortunately you will feel that. It’s right where your arm goes. Take it to the luthier, get a quote and work out who pays with the seller before you do the repair.

boris bubbanov and Neener like this.
  2. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

Get reverb.com involved, just give them a quick call and ask for advice, and they will note on your account and this transaction so you will have them on your team going forward...

I'm assuming your communications with the seller are through the reverb portal and you are attaching the images there as well so that reverb.com staff can assist

Neener likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

It doesn't matter how well you pack things these days, a shipper can still damage it. I purchased a new chainsaw last year and even though the body was made of 1/4" thick magnesium and packed well, the shipper still managed to drive a fork through the box and break off the chain cover.

The good news is that it is located in the exact spot that gets worn away over time from arm contact, so you could just take a finish sander and age it for a relic look. Another option would be to install a cover over it like can be found for acoustic guitars to protect the finish. They are like an arm rest of sorts and should look fine with the right color.

I wouldn't bother going through the hassle of shipping it back either, that can be a pita. I also don't expect the shipper to do anything except maybe give you $50 for it...they are terrible to deal with on damaged items.

4. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

What are they doing with these shipments, throwing them off a bridge??

fortj3 likes this.
  5. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

My Gretsch was damaged in shipping. Reverb and the store I purchased it from acted quickly. I had a financial solution within two hours

Contact both

Neener likes this.
  6. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

it's not a hassle to send it back.. you just drop it off at the post office.

7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Pretty close if it is FedEx or UPS. I have seen them stack boxes 25 feet in the air and a few on the top get sent crashing to the floor. My vintage Epiphone amp took such a nose dive.

8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Was it sent via USPS or one of the other companies?

9. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

yes!
    haha I know man seriously, It looks like someone dropped it off a roof.

10. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

It was sent from Japan via Japan Post then via USPS. So it's anyone's guess where the damage occurred. Still waiting on seller to respong (13 hour difference, I am in USA) . Hopefully he can file claim through Japan Post.

For the time being I dropped off guitar at repair shop. I don't want to send back, it's a sweet guitar. If the seller can get some compensation that'd be cool. If not, oh well. Lesson learned.

11. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

That sucks! I had a seller send a Roland JX-3P (vintage synth) loose in a box. No attempt at padding. One of the ends of the box was open too, he hardly taped the f*** thing shut haha.

Milspec likes this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

File a claim for damage. Also, don't repair the guitar. It looks cool. Win-win.

13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

This won't help directly other than positive support.

My old bass player bought a beater guitar from me a few years ago. Just a cheap sunburst Epiphone LP Junior that was covered in nicks, dents & scratches. He used to work in an auto body shop. Anyway, one day I'm over & I see the guitar. It looked like brand new. Obviously he had skills and knowledge, but ultimately he fixed it in his garage with no specialized equipment on hand.

Antoon is right. Someone can make it good as new. All is not lost.

Neener likes this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to see that. But it's 'fairly easy' to fix.

Black dye or matching color first 'thin' CA and then 'thick' CA ... get it from Hobby Lobby in the bigger bottles. Don't get anything that says Gorilla on it or it will likely foam up and make a real mess.

Example Before and After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

If you lived close to me, I would fix it for you, it's really not that bad..

16. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Did you contact Reverb?

17. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

They throw them out of an airplane from 30,000 feet.
    UPS did a real number on a nice oscilloscope I had bought.
    The seller's less than proper packaging didn't help, but if OoPS hadn't thought that "Fragile" meant "Slam it like a football, while doing the Funky Chicken in the endzone" It would have arrived in fine condition.
    Then again, if the seller had packed it properly, it would have still arrived in fine condition, after being used in several endzone celebrations.

Neener likes this.
  18. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Good Lord! Did someone use that guitar for protection from a machete attack, or did an angry ex take a machete to it out of spite?

19. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Unfortunately it's right where you rest you arm!

20. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Just spoke to seller in Japan, he's contacting Japan Post and I'll be calling USPS in the morning to get insurance claim started. I will contact Reverb as well.

rad1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.