Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

D-Size Tele Body Blueprint Files HERE

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tdowns, Apr 27, 2007.

1. modelo dos

modelo dos Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2007
    SusQ Valley, PA
    Hi Terry, er, uhm, timmer...

Well, there are places that can do that, in truth, there might be a few guys on here with the setup to do so...

It would likely require a CNC milling operation, at the least a "desktop" CNC rig with a table big enough to hold the body blank, a milling head/drive with enough power to work the body wood of choice and probably a unit able to cut to some depth (possibly with decent plunge routing/milling capabilities). Given that you're looking to have a template done in acrylic, the depth thing probably isn't an issue. Not that you're planning on it, but you can buy desktop units like this, it's even possible to build your own...lots of plans and places that sell them on the web...

You would need to have the file in the correct format for the software that drives the milling unit, though getting the correct base file format probably isn't a big issue. Many of the units I've seen run on G-code and I think the software used typically can convert files (such as DXF format) to usable G-code with little trouble...I think...

I'm sure some of the guys here can add quite a bit more to what I've said (and possibly correct any errors I've made as well). Seem this wonderful online community is filled more than a few knowledgeable, creative and resourceful individuals...as well as generally swell guys...:D

Hope this helps, at least a little bit...

Last edited: May 9, 2007

2. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    I believe you would be addressing timmer, and not me. :)

Good information. :)

3. modelo dos

modelo dos Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2007
    SusQ Valley, PA
    Oops...correct you are sir...sorry for that one, misread his thanking you as a by line...Doh!

4. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Well guys I took the AutoCad drawing that Terry sent me, printed it 1"=1" on my plotter and it worked out great.
    Took that sheet, glued it to a piece of MDF lumber and then bandsawed it, drilled it and sanded it and I now have a Tele Template...

BTW... I compared it to my dad in laws '57, and it is spot on... the jack is a little off compared to the 57, maybe an 1/8" but everything else, from the neck pocket to the hump at the horn neck connection seems right on.

Granted I did not take the control plate, pickguard and all the accessories off the '57 to compare, but body wise it is spot on...

THANKS TERRY!!!

5. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2006
    Chester County, PA
    We don't have any pen plotters here, just some large-format inkjets. It'll look great though, and I'll frame a copy for my office. Great work, Terry! You make me realize that all I lack are the tools... and the skills... and the gift... I'll do my best anyway, and it'll keep getting better with the reseources you all provide.

6. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    Hey, you are welcome. That's good to hear.

Nonsense. Just go do it. The more mistakes I make, the more I learn. I've got a long ways to go.

7. borsti007

borsti007 NEW MEMBER!

May 12, 2007
    Germany
    Hi Terry and a hi to all the others :)

wow, great job!!! :eek:

The blueprint is great. A friend of me can use a CNC machine and I asked him to make body.

So I would like to have the DXF file too. Can anybody send me the file please?

Is there a metric version already available?

My mailaddress is: heise.jens(_a_t_)arcor.de

Does anybody know where I can find that kind of blueprints for a Strat body?

Thanks again for the blueprint. I'm very exited! :)

Regards

Jens

8. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    Well I hope it turns out to be usable. In Preacher's post, it sounded like it was close.

I don't have a DXF file. I tried to export one from AutoCAD, but it is not good. I can give you the AutoCAD file if that helps.

9. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    Check out the new blueprint T-shirt: www.cafepress.com/tdpri.
    I'm working on a real D-sized blueprint for sale too. Stay tuned.

Paul Green
    PS. Thanks to Terry Downs for permitting me to reproduce this great blueprint.

Last edited: May 15, 2007

10. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Hi Jens,
    I sent you a metric dxf of the body and pickguard. Let me know how it worked out. If you didn't get it let me know.
    Cheers
    ED

11. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2005
    Germany
    Thank you for your generosity, Terry!
    Really appreciate you sharing this with all of us!
    Today I've had two prints made and all the items I have checked fit like a glove and at this very moment I'm turning the prints into a template...

[​IMG]

12. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    Nooo... thank you for the TDPRI !!

Also, mucho thanks to Ed for the profile detail !!

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2007

13. Jason R.

Jason R. Tele-Holic

May 31, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    Thank you

Every once in a while, I'll get to thinking, "Hey, I'm a pretty smart guy." And then somebody like Mr. Downs goes and posts something like this. Wow.

Seriously, thanks for the contribution. It will make a nice poster.

14. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    Aww get out of town.:p You can come back when somebody builds a Tele with this and find out it won't fit, and then tell 'um about how smart I am!! Thanks Jason R. :)

15. RichardM

RichardM Tele-Holic

May 3, 2007
    Ocean View near Bris Aust
    I would love one.
    You are my Hero. :oops:

16. modelo dos

modelo dos Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2007
    SusQ Valley, PA
    ...another metric tele...

Sorry guys,

Finally got to converting/scaling the drawing to metric, but I see Ed might have beaten me to it...

Oh well, the more the...well you know. Anyway, below is a link to a zip file containing an AutoCAD 2004 DWG and AutoCAD release 12 DXF conversion of Terry's file. I added a rev B to it for the conversion, all dimensions should read correctly with exception to the tolerances in the title block.

Click here to download the METRIC Tele drawings

Thanks again to Terry for putting this drawing together, and for sending it to me as well. :)

17. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Hi Modelo (model two!)
    Nice job on the conversion! What I sent Jens was a metric version dxf file that the GEOMETRY would read correctly in (1:1) when opened in metric version software. That way they can program cnc machines without having to scale the english version up to metric.(which isn't hard to do anyway) No dimensions were included within the drawing. Thanks to you ,people now have a fully dimensioned METRIC drawing! By the way, If any one wants a solid file in solidworks, parasolid, iges, stl.... or anyother solids format...pm me and I'll send it to you! Again, thanks Modelo dos!
    cheers
    ED

18. Unkie Al

Unkie Al Tele-Holic

Aug 8, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks a million!
    To Modelo for the metric convertion.
    -But mostly to Terry for making it...

I REALLY, REALLY love this forum!!! :D

19. santeri

santeri TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Finland
    Thanks a million!

I converted the metric version into pdf, I'll try to attach it here.

Attached Files:

20. japasul

japasul Tele-Meister

May 16, 2007
    Porto Alegre - Brazil
    Great, Modelo!

Just one thing, though:
    On the information bar, it still reads "Unless otherwise specified, all dimensions are in inches".

It would be nice to change that....

Cheers
    André

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.