Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

D-Size Tele Body Blueprint Files HERE

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tdowns, Apr 27, 2007.

1. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007

2. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    Nooooo. THANK YOU for the profile. I couldn't have done it (at least easily) if not for you.

Well thanks, but I've been known to screw up just about everything. Hopefully I learn from a few mistakes.:oops:

FWesley, email me and I'll send you whatever you want.

I'd be honored to have it in your midst!!

I don't know of any way in AutoCAD to instantly convert all dimensions to metric. One could change the units to metric and redraw all the dimensions???? There may be a way.

Thanks to all the others for the kind words.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but I'm thinking I may change the neck pocket to 5/8", and the edge radius to 1/4" to be more common.

3. Unkie Al

Unkie Al Tele-Holic

Aug 8, 2005
    Denmark
    I'd LOVE to have me a metric one for all us Euro-Folk. ;)

+1000

4. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Tele-Meister

Me too! :D

That blueprint is really something else. Thnak you so much!

5. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    I checked with the program I use, and when the dimensions are entered with the "dimension tool", they can be changed fron "inches" to "millimeters" after the drawing is completed.

[​IMG]

I don't know about Autocad though.

Terry, in the dxf format, are the dimensions entered as dimensions? Because when I open the pdf file, they are not, and I have to re-enter all the dimensions if I want to change them.

Thanks

Gilles

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Terry .............. Centerline to control cavity. Your drawing shows 3.110. The Fender drawing shows 3.125.

7. PeterUK

PeterUK Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Printed two copies out at work!

Terry

Thanks again. I've printed two copies out at work and they are fabulous.

In terms of vintage authenticity, I noticed that the rear of the control plate cavity on early Teles is squarer than your drawing shows. I know that Brian Poe missed this originally when he started to reproduce his vintage accurate replicas. Have a look at this one:

[​IMG]

I'm not too sure if Fender rounded off the rear end of the cavity later, but as you were asking for feedback, I thought I would add my two cents.

Regardless of this, I'm delighted with mine.

:D Peter

8. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Sweden, by golly!
    Beautiful work!

Thank you, Terry, for sharing it. That is very generous of you!

/ Tony

9. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Sweden, by golly!
    +1 :cool:

/ Tony

10. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    Not to answer in place of Terry, because he can answer this better than me. But when I check Fender's old drawing, this is the result I get.

[​IMG]

I may be wrong, but they drew it as being 3.14" in their old drawing even if they wrote 3.125" on it, and it could need to be less sometimes when the control plate is fitted with a pickguard, depending on the pickguard used.

But again, that's with the drawings I use for my builds and that seem to fit Terry's work.

I'm also trying to find the true measures here...

Gilles

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007

11. modelo dos

modelo dos Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2007
    SusQ Valley, PA
    DXF file geometry is typically represented in it's simplest form (creating a larger file size as well), this is done so that the file maintains the best compatiblity with other CAD programs able to read DXF. Depending on what program the original DXF output came from, it is very possible that the dimensions were converted to basic geometry and are no longer "true" adjustable dimensions (parts of dimension no longer associated with each other as opposed to lines with text representing a dimension). If this is the case, the only solution to this is re-dimensioning in the drafting program you are using.

As for the request for a metric version, if someone can hook me up with that DXF or an AutoCAD file (preferably the latter in any version up to 2006), I can work a little magic on it an repost it here in multiple formats (with Terry's approval, of course). I could redraw it base on Terry's PDF output, though that would take a little more time, particularly without the radii of the body curves being published (I note Fender's original omitted these as well).

In the event I forgot to mention before...this forum ROCKS!!! :D

12. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    I'm pretty sure DXF contains the rawest entities of the drawing. Maybe modelo dos can help.

Thanks jwells for the feedback. You probably missed it in my original post where I noted this difference. I may change it to 3.125"

Send me any email and I'll send it to you so you can convert it to metric.

13. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    This is a BIT off topic...but I think it applies...

Does anybody know how FENDER generated the steel templates for their pin routers back in the day?

Maybe I am assuming facts not in evidence, but it seems that they MUST have had more than one.

Would they have used some sort of pantograph milling machine following a wooden pattern?

I can also imagine some much less-techie solutions...such as leather-aproned machinists standing next to a bench grinder, trying to follow scribe lines on a chunk of steel. ;)

Once again, I have to tell you how impressed I am with the information that is coming out in this thread.

[​IMG]
    The GRINCH tries his best to be a Life-Learner

14. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Hey guys,
    I will convert my original dxf to metric format and convert it back into dxf. That way when you open it in a metric format program all sizes will be true 1 to 1. Give me one day( just because the Devils game is on and I have to watch them kick Ottawas you know what) and I will send it to Terry(if thats ok with you Terry..just cause I don't know how to post drawings on here!) I know.. I use computers all day long./ I'm a designer.. not a mason Mr. Spock!!
    Cheers
    ED Hawley
    P.S. you can also just divide all english sizes by .03937 to get metric sizes. Granted the dxf itself won't be true to size, but at least you have the measurement.

Last edited: May 1, 2007

15. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    Ed,
    I didn't realize you had a dimensioned drawing. Or, am I missing something?

Terry

16. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    Rev A

I updated the drawing with the following:

• Changed body edge radius from 0.25 to 0.125
    • Changed neck pocket to 5/8"
    • Moved the control cavity down 0.0154" so vertical dimension would be 3.125

Note:
    The original older versions have been deleted. Follow the link below to the latest revision of the Tele body blueprint.

Posting for the latest revision

Last edited: May 10, 2008

17. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Were they steel? Seems like they could have used something easier to shape.

G&L used plastic templates.

......[​IMG]
    ......[​IMG]
    ......[​IMG]

18. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    Jack, I believe I remember reading in Duchossoir's book that they used aluminum templates.

19. milkshape

milkshape Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2006
    New England
    just plain wonderful. Thanks!

20. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Hi guys,
    DARN!! Devils lost!! Next time. Back to the dxf.. When your softwares current configuration files units are set to metric (like in the U.K.) and you convert a dxf or iges file that was done in a software whos file units were set to english (like in the US), that drawing will convert 25.4 times to small. When you check a dimension on the part that should measure 25mm, it will measure @ 1mm, Same in the US ,when you convert a dxf done in metric software it will be 25.4 times bigger. I think what the people who use metrics as the standard are asking for is a dxf or iges file done in metric standard so that when they convert the dxf it measures correctly. They can use the dxf file to program CNC machines.OR..save some time, load the english unit dxf, and scale it by 25.4, and program away!!
    Terry..I have the tele body done in Solidworks. Nice feature about Solidworks is that it will generate a true 3 view drawing with full dims. Gives you all the mechanical properties like volume, weight, cg. all the cool stuff with one touch of a button! The original body was measured with a CMM machine. No hand measurment here!! and converted into a solid. I converted the solid to the dxf that I sent to you. If anyone uses solidworks or mastercam, let me know and I can email you those files . I hope this helps. I know I'm a little long-winded!!
    cheers
    ED Hawley

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.