Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

D Allen

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Achysklic, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    It seems D Allen pickups get alot of love here. I have watched many videos of them and they sound great.

With that said, how do the compare to say GFS pickups? Which DAllens are 2-3 times higher.

I prob will buy a set of DAllens and I just wanted a honest answer how they compare.

I have Fender custom shops, and GFS ALnico 2 and prem. Texas can hang with them all day long.

2. cubicub

cubicub TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Save your money and buy Lollars, the best pickups for the money. IMO. Went from stock, to dimarzio's, to D Allen's , to Lollars. Finally got it right.

3. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    What type of guitar, cause I just put a set of CS69 pups in my Strat and I gotta say, if there's something "better" I don't know WHAT It'd sound like... I'm not knocking D. Allen or anyone (Lollar make an OUTSTANDING WRHB replacement). IMO there are just WAY too many versions/makes/models of some pups (like Strat pups) to say one is definitively "best" out of the bunch and it's pretty much impossible to know what YOU will think is "best" as what we hear and use as judging criteria could in all likely hood be two completely different things.

I know that from the simple soundbites I've heard, that D. Allen makes a mighty fine pup, and while Cubicub choose to pursue different options and is loving his Lollars (that's great too), YOU may well find that D. Allen is "it" for you. I'd say that whie people find tone love in the strangest places sometimes (like Squier CV60 pups in Strats) D. Allen is NEVER a bad place to start looking for your ideal tone aye.

Cheers

Dave

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Mar 31, 2009
    Toronto
    I've never tried D. Allen but I suspect I'd like his pickups if I ever wanted to fit some in a guitar.

After a certain price point, it's less about which pickup manufacturer is "better" and more about whose vision you agree with. I have pickups from Rio Grande, Seymour Duncan, Dawgtown, BG and Kinman in my guitars and I wouldn't change any of them.

As far as GFS comparisons go, I find GFS good for the money but I'm lucky enough that I can afford better. Some people say they're "just as good" as the boutique builders; I don't agree but if you don't hear a difference, more power to you. I do.

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    D.Allen pickups are a lot better than GFS. I have used both. I will continue to use Davids stuff. David is also a really nice guy.

7. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    And that price point is about what the GFS PUPs cost. I've got pickups from Rose, D. Allen, Fender CS, Bill Lawrence. They all sound a little different. But none of them really sound better than the other, just a little different. And with the turn of a screw driver (PUP height) or twist of some knobs (Guitar or amp), I can dial in something I like on any of them, including the no-name Samick PUPs from a dirt cheap old Samick strat.

Based on personal experience, I choose not to purchase from GFS. But that ain't because their pickups sound bad. IMHO, it comes down to who you want to support.

8. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    Switzerland
    D Allen is a top notch maker, and his prices are on the lower end of the boutique market. Beyond a certain point comparisons lose their meaning, as both D Allen or Lollar would be excellent.

9. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    I've tried alot of different tele pups over the years and currently have OC Duff,Don Mare,Fralin,Budz,Keystones,Rumplestiltskins and Lollars in different teles. All of these folks make a quality product and offer top notch customer service. IMO Pickup selection depends on alot of variables (gtr. amp etc.) and is a trial and error process. These boutique winders are always willing to help you if you call and describe how your current pickups sound and what they have in their product line that might better suit your needs. Good luck in your search.

10. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Not sure why you would compare D. Allen to GFS. His pricing is more in line with Fralin and Lollar. I'm sure they are just as top notch as the other boutique winders out there. GFS is great bang for the buck on certain models, others not so much.

Personally, I'm pretty fond of Rose and TTS for my boutique pickup needs:

http://www.rosepickups.com

http://www.ttspickups.com

11. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    GFS is a good sounding economy pickup. More emphasis on economy than sound.

12. cubicub

cubicub TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2012
    D. Allen makes an excellent product. However After purchasing a set of AB for my strat, I and I alone felt that was not "the" tone I was searching for. Would I recommend his pups to someone else, hell yes. I might even try his tele pups. " THE QUEST FOR TONE GOES ON"

13. Paleus

Paleus Tele-Meister

May 1, 2012
    Conway, AR
    D Allen's Cheetahs are amazing.

14. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2010
    Ohio
    I have D.Allens in my Strat and Rumpelstiltskins in my Teles. Love them both. Price was not the issue.
    Both are great people who wind great pickups. There are many, many others who do as well. I can't speak of GFS, never used them. Anyway, it doesn't matter. Buy what you want and spend as much or as little as you want. There are differences but they're only important if they're important to you.

15. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2010
    North Dakota
    I think someone needs to donate me a set of those Colt 51's!! Hee hee!! Naw, I am going to get a set for myself someday. Problem is I'm like a fat guy in a donut shop. Everytime I think I want a maple bar I see an apple fritter!!

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Tele-Holic

May 27, 2009
    South Bend, Indiana
    I agree with Colt. David's pickups are excellent!

I met David a couple years ago at the Nashville Amp Show and tested several guitars that had his pickups already installed in them. If you are undecided on what model to buy, just give David a call and he will point you in the right direction.

One other selling point is that David actually maintains an inventory of his pickups so you don't have to wait very long if you order something from him.

17. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2007
    raleigh nc
    I've tried a few GFS sets, some I liked, others I didn't. I don't have much in the way of personal experience with Mr Allens p'ups, but if they are anything like Lollars of Fralins (general consensus is they are) they're an order of magnitude better than the GFS stuff. I've never heard "they're pretty good for the money" when speaking of a respected winder's pickups.

18. rogb

rogb Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    David is a great guy to deal with and will give you 100% support in trying to find your sound. Can't ask for more than that! I really like the Dovers I have in my ash/maple Strat, the bridge is cool and thunky, not thin and screamin' - which is nice:p

19. MartinB69

MartinB69 TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Arvika, Sweden
    What I like the most about my DAllen pickups is the balance. Balance between pickups and balance of all the nuances and tones your fingers can achieve. I can not make them sound bad no matter what I do. (perhaps If I add crappy distortion) I put mine in a guitar I've played for 17 years. It was an un-expensive work horse that turned into a mature "full blood". I really love playing it :) I changed frets on the same time btw.

If you buy DAllens, try lowering them a hair or two from where you usually have them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.