Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

CVC or CV50'S

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Chedbaze, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Chedbaze

Chedbaze TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    New York
    I'm about to order a CV Tele. Unfortunately none of the shops near me have any of them in stock. I've handled a CV 50's before and like it, but I'm leaning towards the CVC on looks alone. I heard the necks are thinner. Is it a huge noticeable difference or are they pretty similar? I'm just trying to save myself unnecessary back and forth returning guitars.

Thanks for any insight you guys may have.

B

tele-bastard likes this.
  2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    CVC has rosewood fretboard, CV50s has maple. That alone may make a difference to you.

3. Chedbaze

Chedbaze TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    New York
    I like both, I'm more interested in the neck being too skinny and how much of a difference there are between the two. I would bet of the CVC is indeed skinnier is due to the rosewood fretboard not being very thick and them not taking that into account. But then again the nut specs online are 1mm thinner on The CVC. I don't really care to nitpick about specs, just wanting to know if they are generally close to feeling the same thickness

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I believe the early CVC we noted for the thin necks; newer ones may have changed.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

The CV50s pine bodies can be quite heavy, FWIW - my BSB CV50s is a 10 pounder!

6. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Mine doesn't feel especially thin, it is a 2016 model.

Thinner than my AMSE Strat from 2004 ??? not by much if any.

My BSB CV Tele is slightly over 8 lbs using my shipping scale

7. Chedbaze

Chedbaze TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    New York
    10lbs?!! That's Les Paul territory. Lol. I don't mind either way. I mostly play sitting anyway

8. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    I have three Classic Vibe Teles, but they are all fairly early ones - the 50s and CVC are first year manufacture and a CV Thinline that is early 2011. Id say the CVC neck feels a little thinner than the CV 50s but I believe that is more due to the neck shape than the actual amount of wood. I know you didn't mention the CV Thinline, but I think it has the nicest neck that feels a little more substantial than the other two. The guitar is lighter overall, and is a real joy to play. My CVC and Thinline have the exact same pickups but the Thinline sounds a bit better to me - "woodier" and fuller I guess. The CVC is the prettiest, and the CV 50s has a certain "vintage vibe" but I honestly think the Thinline sounds and plays a little better.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  9. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, the CVC neck is thinner. It’s the main reason I sold mine. I do have the CV 50s BSB. The neck is still smaller than any Fender telecaster but it’s not as small as the 60s CV tele which is the thinnest neck of the CV strats and teles. My vote is for the 50s. Here’s mine

EDC1E60C-6EA2-4645-B111-A921504426BE.jpeg

Attached Files:

anfyrt, Chedbaze and Slowisfast like this.
  10. Chedbaze

Chedbaze TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    New York
    I ordered the CV50's Vintage Blonde. I can only find new CVC's with the new Indian Laurel fretboard. Between that and the thinner neck on the CVC, I figured this was the best bet. Backordered so I'll get it by 4/15.

Synapse2k likes this.
  11. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    You can find these used on GC used, reverb, eBay, etc. and you’ll pay 275 ish for one that’s in mint condition. Keep in mind, the vintage blonde has alnico 3 pickups not alnico 5 which is on the butterscotch blonde and CVC. I really like the vintage blonde color. It should age quite nicely.

All the new ones do have the laurel, but there are tons of used ones with rosewood

12. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2011
    New Mexico
    I am late, you probably bought a guitar by now. I have two cv's 50's one blonde one bsb. I also have the CVC (rosewood 2012 model). I bought the CVC on looks alone too..lol. I already had the BSB and loved it. But I love a double bound tele. Not enough difference in neck size for me to worry about. Maybe that's because I play most of my guitars. I have a bunch. I don't gig, just love guitars.
    The CVC is gorgeous, the neck is nice the frets are perfect. But it sounds a bit thinner than my other tele's. I don't play it as much probably because of that. Still it's a joy to play and it looks great. It has different bridge and saddles than the CV50's. That might be why it sounds different I don't know. It could be the pickups too. Either way, I can make it sound like I want it with my amp and pedals. MyTwangieguitar is a member of TDPRI, and he measured a CVC neck and compared it to pother tele's on his youtube channel. I can't find the video offhand, but it's not as thin as people say IMHO.. I have big hands so they all feel about the same to me. Get one of each..lol. He sure makes it sound good tho. of course he changed necks and pickups on it later. People mod them to death. I didn't feel the need to.
    My BSB lost a bridge pickup soon after I bought it. The neck pickup sounds wonderful, the bridge is now from a MIM tele. it seems to match up nicely. My Vintage Blonde 50's weighs in at 10lb's..easy..lol. Fat neck on it, and the body is way to heavy. It doesn't have the sustain and resonance of my BSB. In fact when I have my BSB hanging on the wall with 8 other guitars, I can strum the strings of each one, and the BSB sounds almost acoustic unplugged. It stands out in the crowd. I hit the jackpot with that guitar.
    The CVC is mostly in the closet, but I wouldn't sell it unless I have to. It's an awesome guitar. When I bought my CV"s they were much cheaper than they are now. The price went up considerably. They cost as much as my MIM teles did then. Glad I stocked up on guitars before the prices went up.
    If you get one, either one, the BSB or the CVC, you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality. IF THEY ARE STILL AS NICE as they were in 2012. I would look for a used one. But you might get a boat anchor like my vintage blonde. It's a dud compared to the BSB and the CVC. I would sell it in a heartbeat. A drawback to having to buy online. I bought it as an open box, and I guess I know why it was returned. I want one of the newer arctic white MIM's. Not sure I can swing $600 though and would need to buy a case too.
    I am rambling again....
    Good luck!

13. Chedbaze

Chedbaze TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    New York
    Thanks for the info! You would think by now I would have bought one, but as luck would have it, the CV I want is the Vintage Blonde and they are backordered until May. Not even squier themselves have any. As a matter of fact the big box retailers will have them before even squier has them. I called squier and they said May 20. GC has a shipment scheduled for May 8th :(

14. crowhaven2000

Jun 21, 2011
    New Mexico
    Holy crap that's a long time. I recommend you check the weight of the guitar. Like I said my Vintage blonde is way to heavy, and it has no sustain like my BSB. Luck of the draw. Sweetwater lists the weights and you can see real pictures of what you are buying. of course you can walk in a store and see for yourself. I just pulled the trigger on a MIM Arctic White Tele from ebay. I hope it shows up as advertised. I hate buying from Ebay. Too bad my VB is so heavy, I would sell it to you cheap. But you don't want it believe me. Weird how one CV can be so bad compared to the 4 others. I have a CV 50's strat, a CV60's strat, and these three CV teles. And the Vintage blonde is the only one I don't like much. The neck is good on it but that's about it. It's playable but only sitting down. I hope you get what you want. Since they make them on CNC machines they are all nicely made. The fretwork is great, better than my MIM. I hope I like the one I just bought. The MIM tele's I have now have rosewood FB's and I like them. But they sure do shrink, so the one I just bought has a maple fretboard. it should be nice. I have an American Standard rolled neck I will put on it if I have too. It's a very nice neck. Good luck! There are a bunch on Ebay.

15. Chedbaze

Chedbaze TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2017
    New York
    I have a credit with GC otherwise I would order from Sweetwater. The best I could do was put a request in that their shipping department ship out the lightest box. They said they noted the order. Whether or not they actually follow through remains to be seen. Hopefully theyre not spiteful and send out a 12 lb beast. Lol
    Good luck with the Arctic white! I hope it's a good one.

16. crowhaven2000

Jun 21, 2011
    New Mexico
    Well I haven't seen that many people have this problem. Youtube is full of videos of this model sounding and playing great. They are made of Pine and pine varies. You won't be unlucky like I was. Good luck!

Chedbaze likes this.
  17. JohnFroosh

JohnFroosh TDPRI Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    the CVC has a clearer tone than the cv 50's, and i love it

18. anfyrt

anfyrt TDPRI Member

Awesome relic! Could you share your method of making this? Sandpaper or maybe something else?

19. anfyrt

anfyrt TDPRI Member

In my case, there is no CVC60 or CV50, it is CV50 & CVC60.
    My first CV I bought in december '15, it was Vintage Blonde CV50. From that moment it is my main guitar, it is great and I adore it.
    Then I got Butterscotch Blonde CV50, but had to sell to get Sunburst CVC60.
    Classic Vibes are great, was able to compare them with other Fender teles, Mexican and Japanese. They're at least not worse, and in something even better, in particular compared to the standard Mexican models.
    This is how they look like now, with swapped pickguards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.