Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

CVC and CV50 mated... one still needs something...

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by weelie, Aug 22, 2018.

1. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

Finally did what I've thought about for like 6 years. Bought a (all stock) CV50 to swap the necks, to get a maple fb on the CVC I bought in 2009 (Nocaster bridge pickup, otherwise all stock).

I've had 9-49's (custom set with very light B and G strings for bending) on the CVC for ages (my "Gibsons" have 10s or 11s, no other Fenders in the house). But...

I installed the 10-46 with a wound G on the rosewood necked CV. Wow! It is great! Now only need a WBW pickguard to get my Cropper etc jones covered. Reminds me of the best 60s style tele I've ever played... which was a 63 CS Esquire sunburst. But, well, now I have the sunburst in the other guitar... not about to Esquire CV50, the neck pup sounds good!

The maple necked CVC sounded a strident and blah t in comparison, so I changed the strings to 10-16 (plain G). But it does not sound any better. Hmmm.... what sould I do. It looks great. Maybe need to get me some nines, do some setup (saddles appear lower on the CVC, but haven't checked the string eight properly), ... let's see.

Note: Compensated brass saddles on the CVC and threaded steel on CV.

vjhn, Fendereedo, Bruxist and 4 others like this.

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    I've got the same two models, but haven't swapped the necks over. I may try at the next string change though looking at yours.

I tried compensated brass and grooved brass saddles on my CVC, but ended up going back to the stock steel ones. Intonation is close enough to not be an issue and I'd swear it zings a little more.

My plan is to Esquire one of them. Not sure which. No switch, no tone control ( well, maybe a tone control, yet to decide ). Fun isn't it.

vjhn and weelie like this.

3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Man that looks cool... especially the white CV with the rosewood fretboard. Nice pair!

Have you tried raising the pickups on the CVC to get more output maybe? I had to raise mine up a bunch back when I had one.

vjhn likes this.

4. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

Thanks!

I've had one grooved saddle (E/A) and two brass on the CVC for years now.

Maybe I will change the pickguards... To get a "Robben Ford" CV and "Jerry Donahue" CVC :D
    The only problem is I have Redd Volkaert signature on the white guard... It ought be on the "real" tele (=one with a maple board) :p

5. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

Maybe lowering the actions and raising the pickups is the ticket.

Note : the bridge pickup is the (low output regular) Fender Nocaster, the original is the drawer for year now. The original sounds very 60s, but the Nocaster is fuller and more diverse, ...or so I felt when I changed.

SolidSteak likes this.

6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View

Put on a parchment 8 hole pickguard on the blonde/rosewood and you’d have a replica of the late 59’s that went rosewood but went back to through the body stringing. Find a bridge that has both through AND top loader holes and you’ve got a Page “Dragon” replica. Just sayin’....

https://reverb.com/item/14359085-1959-fender-telecaster-demo-video

7. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

I'd love a dual loader bridge. Will have to check if I find one. I am big fan of Jim Campilongo (since saw him live in Aug 2003... 15 years ago!).

My idea is to make one of these teles:
    a Steve Cropper (thicker strings, for blues, Rnb and rock, my "tweedy" amp for a bit of drive) and ...
    a chicken picker (lighter string maybe, snappy action, my "blackface" amp for clean).

And I never liked the black guard anyways, so maybe I will get me another three ply parchment one too.

The CV50 weighs a bit over 8lb and the CVC is exact 7lb. So the CV is a pound heavier, but it also sounds heavier, in a good way. :D

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

8. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    Fascinating experiment... I love that rosewood board!
    My (2009) CV50 came with 9's installed and it played great but a few years later I switched to 10's...
    It was good, but recently the guitar seemed to feel a bit unbalanced - I changed back to 9's and it felt fine again - very weird - probably just me!
    Subtle changes can have a noticeable affect!

vjhn likes this.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Nice, I have a 50's blond cv and a partscaster that I think the body might be from a cvc.
    Im interested to know about the change in tone on either after the necks were swapped.

vjhn likes this.

10. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

Well, I don't have that, sorry. As I bought the CV used, and it had a SD broadcaster on it that I did not want (tested it with it in th eguitar), so the seller changed the original tonerider back in. And gave it to me without strings. So I haven't played CV50 in original, I immediately changed the necks. But to me, the neck makes a real difference in the tone. Of course the pickups are quite different and make a difference too.

I am almost tempted to try the CV50s pickups in the CVC with maple neck. And change the CV50 with rw fb to the CVC original pickups. But I think I am too lazy to do that.

I also have the never installed Nocaster neck pickup in the drawer, but I feel CVC neck pickup covers that corner equally well.

vjhn and Chunkocaster like this.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    It's been a few years but I remember hearing that the blond 50's cv pups were preferable to the others in the classic vibe lineup. I also prefer the brass saddles. They are great guitars. It's a bonus that they are also reasonably priced.

tintag27 and vjhn like this.

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I think the cvc looks better with the maple neck.

vjhn and Bruxist like this.

13. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    All of these combos look really nice. I love the Cropper and Donahue though, that's really nice!

vjhn likes this.

15. blackspider57

blackspider57 Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    Looks great!
    CVC with maple neck is awesome!!!
    The 50's with rosewood too.
    Wonder why Squier doesn't mix it up a little with neck/body variations?
    Enjoy!!

vjhn likes this.

16. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Me too, but I have a CVC with a 50's Baja neck so I am biased.

I think I finally figured out that I prefer necks that contrast with the body colour. As for feel, I like both. :)

17. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I tried that for a while but found the BWB with the binding too busy so I went back to one piece.

I honestly thought about using a black marker on part of it so the bottom half looked all black and the top half had the BWB look.

I have a hard time wanting to cover up that beautiful sunburst woodgrain on my CVC at all...

18. mthowlett

mthowlett TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2013
    louisville
    How do you like that Nocaster bridge pickup?

19. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    I'm guessing the Nocaster is also an Alnico 3 but lower output same as the neck pickup?

The A3 bridge pickup in Classic Vibes in the Vintage Blondes is over wound so has a higher output . . . around 9.0 instead of 7.0

In my CV VB I put a custom wound A3 with lower output to mimick a '55 Telecaster. Huge difference. The volume is now about the same but the neck pickup is so much fuller that you have to constantly play with the volume to really compensate for that difference. I see why Squier went with the overwound pickup and I will be going back.

vjhn likes this.

20. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

I took the top three strings off and installed lighter ones from a 009-042 set. So the "Donahue" is sporting a 009-046 now. I think it fits better. The saddles are also quite bit lower than on the "Cropper", need to still lift them a bit now that I have the thin strings on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.